Obnoxious number of crashes to desktop since update 12.1/2

I am thinking, could it be netcode related crashes? I had a bout of crashes inbetween version 12 and the last hotfix, and at the same time my internet connection was on the fritz. After the last hotfix, not one CTD (knock on wood).

I've had 16 CTD's sense update 12, before I had only 4 in 2400 hours of playing.

Edit: I just took a look at my Windows 10 event viewer and saw under system that I was running out of virtual memory and that EliteDangerous64.exe was the cause. I had set it to a fixed amount when I built this rig, it would seem update 12 requires more virtual memory. If your memory is set to "System Managed" you might be running out of disc space, worth a look (switch to a different disc).

Last edited:
A couple of hours ago I sent my 40th crash report after update 12, and then filed a tech support ticket. I have big difficulties with landing on moons of gas giant planets, and also I have found out that I cannot approach asteroids in planetary rings.

Frontier’s tech support recommends that I should do a full reinstall of the game. I have done the verification of game files in Steam app three times after update 12, and every time about 24 to 26 files could not be verified and have been downloaded again, so it looks like the verification function cannot repair some files.

But will my ships and game progress surely remain?

But will my ships and game progress surely remain?
They are all stored on the server. They'll be fine.

Support suggested the same for me. I'm now in a worse position that I was; I can't even get into the game without a crash to desktop. They've said they can't really help as long as the crash reporter crashes. This is the most God-awful update.

I am suspecting that maybe the game’s problems are caused by bad sectors on the SSD on which the game is installed. I will perform a full surface check to it. That SSD is the system disk in my PC and it has already some failed sectors, which caused several Windows system files to get corrupted, but they affected only the OneDrive service. Those files were fixed much later in an update to Windows 11.

Last night I did a full uninstalling and reinstalling of the game according to instructions from Frontier's tech support. I had also checked the condition of the SSD where the game is installed, and no new bad sectors were found. Now I have verified that the game still crashes to desktop similarly as before. Installing the game again did not make it better. I am still using Radeon driver v. 22.3.1.

you can try dxvk to see if the crashing issue has something to do with direct x and your hardware. The conversion to vulkan may eliminate whatever is triggering the hardware fault or undesired behavior

Last night I installed the DXVK software to ED Odyssey:s program folder, using Morbad's instructions and settings which he published in the other thread about crashes with Radeon driver v. 22.5.2. But on my PC that did not prevent the game from crashing similarly as before. I tried three times to land on a moon of a gas giant planet, and every time the game crashed to desktop from supercruise. My distances to the moon's surface at the moment of CTD varied from 840 km to 1900 km, which was like before.

I have been testing against one specific moon lately, and the ultimate point where the game will inevitably stop and close is 304 km of altitude, which I achieved in normal flight two times. I achieved that by dropping to normal flight several times during approach to save my ship's position for continuing from a closer position after the game has crashed.

I have saved all my crash reports since Update 12 to a text file, except a few of the first ones. I sent the text file with 66 crash report descriptions to Frontier's tech support two days ago, asking if they have any more ideas how to prevent the game from crashing, but my contact person there has not replied to that yet.

Frontier's support has replied to me, saying that the developers are investigating the instability of the game on some PC:s, and while they are working on it, I can only wait. They do not have an estimate for when the fix should be ready.

Frontier's support has replied to me, saying that the developers are investigating the instability of the game on some PC:s, and while they are working on it, I can only wait. They do not have an estimate for when the fix should be ready.
At least they're acknowledging it. In fairness, support have been very helpful, polite and their suggestions all made sense to try. It's just that none so far has stopped the crashes.

OHHH MAN! ROFLMFAO.

The other day I asked a question on this forum about Odyssey because I was considering switching over to it from Horizons.
Got a lot of answers - really good answers from a lot of good guys and I had just a little while ago decided to go ahead and get Odyssey while it was on sale.

And then...

I saw the title of this thread and took a quick look which turned into a longer look until I'd finally read the entire thread. Eye opening to be sure.

This is what tipped the scale for me:
...They[Frontier] do not have an estimate for when the fix should be ready.

Thanks guys! Decision made.

Fixing bugs is always like that. If they had a date for the release of the fix, they would also have to know the cause of the problem and have designed a fix for it.

Sorry man but I gotta call ya on that one.
One of the jobs I had during my civilian work history was QA Manager for a medical equipment manufacturing company. We made kidney dialysis machines and blood clot time test machines and a unit that cultured blood and automatically figured out what bacteria were growing in it. They all used very sophisticated software to control the operation.

When we got information from our field service engineers that there was a software issue they were on the phone with our local software engineers within just a few hours and spent however much time it took to define the issue and how long it would take for the engineers to resolve and for my QA team to test and release. NOTE: The call did not end until both timelines were defined (I remember one that took a day and a half). The engineer's time line for software rewrite time was almost always correct within + or minus a day or two. My test time estimates were always within a day. Our customers needed to know when they could expect to get their units back online (especially the dialysis units).

NOW! knowing what I know about software I'm about 95% sure that that gaming software is - surprise - actually more complex than most control system software - not all the time but quite often. With the exception of the bacteria identifier unit I'm gonna say that ED is a more complex set of code than the dialysis and clot time unit software.

Even though gaming software is in general more complex than almost all other types - they should still be able to come up with a reasonable time line for when the issue will be resolved. It they can't then they need a new software team or a new CEO. Either the software guys are incompetent or Frontier is too ethically challenged to just say - "Hey, we've already got a ton of other things that actually make us money on our list of things to do so you ED guys are just gonna have to wait until we can get around to y'all".

NOTE: I expect this post will probably get me banned for the previous paragraph so - nice knowing y'all. Adios and keep yur head on a swivel while you're out there in the black.

Sorry man but I gotta call ya on that one.
One of the jobs I had during my civilian work history was QA Manager for a medical equipment manufacturing company. We made kidney dialysis machines and blood clot time test machines and a unit that cultured blood and automatically figured out what bacteria were growing in it. They all used very sophisticated software to control the operation.

When we got information from our field service engineers that there was a software issue they were on the phone with our local software engineers within just a few hours and spent however much time it took to define the issue and how long it would take for the engineers to resolve and for my QA team to test and release. NOTE: The call did not end until both timelines were defined (I remember one that took a day and a half). The engineer's time line for software rewrite time was almost always correct within + or minus a day or two. My test time estimates were always within a day. Our customers needed to know when they could expect to get their units back online (especially the dialysis units).

NOW! knowing what I know about software I'm about 95% sure that that gaming software is - surprise - actually more complex than most control system software - not all the time but quite often. With the exception of the bacteria identifier unit I'm gonna say that ED is a more complex set of code than the dialysis and clot time unit software.

Even though gaming software is in general more complex than almost all other types - they should still be able to come up with a reasonable time line for when the issue will be resolved. It they can't then they need a new software team or a new CEO. Either the software guys are incompetent or Frontier is too ethically challenged to just say - "Hey, we've already got a ton of other things that actually make us money on our list of things to do so you ED guys are just gonna have to wait until we can get around to y'all".

NOTE: I expect this post will probably get me banned for the previous paragraph so - nice knowing y'all. Adios and keep yur head on a swivel while you're out there in the black.
I think there's a worlds worth of difference between software that operates on machines designed to save human life and software that operates on a machine to distract humans from life. But having said that, I don't suspect you're in any danger of being banned.

Just chiming in on this thread because the OP is my story, too. Maybe one or two CTD's in my entire life with Elite prior to Update 12. Now I get them almost every single time I go to ground. Micro stutters start and then, boom, CTD. I can see it coming every time.

Top Bottom