*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer if you stuck to the subject rather than directing it towards other posters, and if you don't have anything constructive to add, then maybe don't. We were having a half decent discussion here.

So let's get back to it: can anyone offer a good definition of Odyssey "working acceptably", and how might that translate to the base old-gen consoles and the current-gen consoles? Also, does anyone think we will hear something 'more' before Christmas? Surely it'd be a great time to open up pre-orders, or a console beta?
To be clear, I'm all for half decent discussions.

I'm really not sure what kind of definition you're looking for there though - I mean it works acceptably on my PC right now but for exactly that reason, I can't really quantify how much lower than this it could afford to go and still be what I'd deem acceptable to then transfer that into a set of console requirements.

On the subject of orders, I really think pre-orders are a no-no. I mean I can't believe there would be a stampede anyway given what happened with the PC release, surely nobody in their right mind is going to shell out for the game on a last generation console ahead of release, on the basis that 'it will probably be OK.' I certainly wouldn't.

If Frontier have information to share they will in time but badgering CM's literally every day won't change a thing.
Wrong. It creates pressure. And everytime this topic is among the top5 hottest community debates in the management meeting it turns the managements spotlight to this topic - until they can't withstand the community pressure anymore and give more information OR assign more devs to the ED project, to speed things up. If only two coders do the job, it's a whole different story if it were ten, who work together to work down the pile of tasks.

I'm really not sure what kind of definition you're looking for there though - I mean it works acceptably on my PC right now but for exactly that reason, I can't really quantify how much lower than this it could afford to go and still be what I'd deem acceptable to then transfer that into a set of console requirements.

On the subject of orders, I really think pre-orders are a no-no. I mean I can't believe there would be a stampede anyway given what happened with the PC release, surely nobody in their right mind is going to shell out for the game on a last generation console ahead of release, on the basis that 'it will probably be OK.' I certainly wouldn't.

As a console player I can say I wouldn't be up for giving Frontier 30 quid for a pre-order.

Wrong. It creates pressure. And everytime this topic is among the top5 hottest community debates in the management meeting it turns the managements spotlight to this topic - until they can't withstand the community pressure anymore and give more information OR assign more devs to the ED project, to speed things up. If only two coders do the job, it's a whole different story if it were ten, who work together to work down the pile of tasks.

Ask the VR community how their "pressure" worked out for them.

to be fair, macOS (especially at the time) was a good generation behind the not even cutting edge graphics api that elite really needed for compute shading and such.

apple removes a lot of the freedom developers have in supporting what they want and that would have likely lead to a widening fork of the codebase fdev wasn't willing to make.

Don't forget to mention 'Team ADS' - another great victory for pester power. Not.
LOL I was very much on team ADS and I'd given up on it a couple of weeks after the update dropped. See that's my point really; I'm still unhappy about it today, but I stopped posting about it literally years ago because it was pointless. Nobody is trying to tell people what to think about something, or at least I certainly aren't. We can however moderate what we do.

to be fair, macOS (especially at the time) was a good generation behind the not even cutting edge graphics api that elite really needed for compute shading and such.

apple removes a lot of the freedom developers have in supporting what they want and that would have likely lead to a widening fork of the codebase fdev wasn't willing to make.

Am I wrong in thinking that Elite could run in BootCamp?

the bizarre thing about 'we need to pester fdev into doing EDO on consoles' is ... fdev have already said multiple times they plan to do it and want to do it. The only thing pestering does in those situations is make people think .... do I really want customers like these?

(but they probably do .. #Capitalism)

Am I wrong in thinking that Elite could run in BootCamp?
at the time, i dont think so. there were lots of attempts to continue running elite on mac's back then but i dont recall if bootcamp supported handing over full control of gpu hardware to a guest os ...and the host drivers didn't support what would be necessary

at the time, i dont think so. there were lots of attempts to continue running elite on mac's back then but i dont recall if bootcamp supported handing over full control of gpu hardware to a guest os ...and the host drivers didn't support what would be necessary

Cool thanks I was unsure about that as I got conflicting information from the last time I googled it.

Unusually for pre-orders, Odyssey is a known quantity for anyone with a passing interest in the game at this stage (unfortunately...!)

I've said it before... I would certainly pre-order, if...

They confirm cross play - a shared galaxy.
They unlock 4K resolution on PS5.
They offer a native current-gen version with texture and display enhancements for PS5, XBox S/X.
They offer a realistic timescale by when the product will be delivered on consoles
Offer a commitment to ongoing console development (i.e. issues that impact the console version of the game get equal weighting)

At this stage that seems like a fairly high bar, but it's nothing too unreasonable to expect. I won't mention pricing. Every man has his price.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom