*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Again, since you seemly overread the important line, that I accept his/others points of view... so whats the point? There was no categorization/disregard. This is only what you interpret - or what you want it to be. you see, what you want to see. Being called is brickwall seems to be nice friendly wording, right?
Anyway, no need to hold a speech. Tzzz... I always like when people act like self-declared forum judges.
Again: I never asked for EDO right now. I asked for a volatile perspective. And I may do so. Total different story... but you don't seem to get the point - and it's alright then.

But a truth is what it is
Nope, thats your point of view. And its okay. Sidenote: Most people who claim to tell the truth found a religion some day. ;)

b7fc029207afd5f9013bae8745ce496f3dc5868d8e6a46dfc6152b818d5925ab.jpg

Again, since you seemly overread the important line, that I accept his/others points of view... so whats the point? There was no categorization/disregard. This is only what you interpret - or what you want it to be. you see, what you want to see. Being called is brickwall seems to be nice friendly wording, right?
Anyway, no need to hold a speech. Tzzz... I always like when people act like self-declared forum judges.
Again: I never asked for EDO right now. I asked for a volatile perspective. And I may do so. Total different story... but you don't seem to get the point - and it's alright then.

Nope, thats your point of view. And its okay. Sidenote: Most people who claim to tell the truth found a religion some day. ;)

This kind of question really does lead me to beg (actually have it a lot)...IF players had those numbers, what then?
What would you all do with those numbers?
What's everyones "benchmark" for easing concerns for everyone?
Would you all look at them and go "Huh...yeh I guess they're ok" - then what happens?
Or "Nahhh, those are too low for me" - then what?

It just feels like it would be used as a big discussion point as part of a thread where players can bring more speculation of their own (much like this thread now).

I get that right now you just want SOMETHING (anything) and we'll keep looking to when we can do that.

It's about getting the game good, you know? If the game is good and working and exciting, a byproduct of that is more players will play.

No need for numbers here. PS5 alone has just outsold the Nintendo Switch in terms of number of units sold in it's lifetime. Some more fun facts:

The current console generation (PS5/xsX/S) is the fastest selling, ever.

Console remains the primary retail market for gaming in 2021.

As of today, Odyssey - the largest, most anticipated, paid for DLC for Elite Dangerous since launch, has no current advertised plan for the current generation of consoles.

The previously lauded launch of the DLC for previous generation consoles is currently, indefinitely, on hold with no tangible indication on when or if that might change.

In the meantime, Frontier have nothing to say on the matter, until further notice.

Christmas is around the corner, ready to magnify this odd and unfortunate scenario even further.

The tide is coming in.

@sallymorganmoore

Morning won't go with happy Friday but will go with merry Friday, getting this one in early as thanks to a certain virus don't get much free time at the moment. Just wandering will there be any console related stuff next week as in community or updates not Odyssey, obviously "Super Eight" is hitting next week which I would imagine will be the main focus. Basically don't want to miss anything if there's gonna be anything in the streams whilst using my Odyssey filter ;)

Toodley pip for now :D

50 pages later i have tried and tried to leave this thread behind.

like a moth to a flame, a fish to a hook or a cartoon bear to honey, i just can't stop reading.

even knowing the same things will be said in exactly the same way by exactly the same people, even knowing that, i keep coming back.

i feel like that cowboy in that cowboy movie from a few years back.

I wish I knew how to quit you.

So, you want them to lay off all the "other content" staff while the guys who do the fixing do their jobs?
What many fail to realize - is that: There are hundreds of people working at Frontier. Some of them answer phones. Some of them deliver sandwiches. Some create animations, Others make amazing sound effects. ...and yes - some of them actually work on bug fixes for elite dangerous. But not very many of those groups overlap very far.

By the "logic" demonstrated in the majority of this thread - it seems y'all would like them to lay off anyone who isn't involved with fixing bugs. That all the "extra content" developers and creative teams can all go find different jobs since they're not working on bug fixes for you?? This makes absolutely no sense.

The new content is going to be done whether you like it or don't. The people who work on the extra content are NOT the same group as those who work on the bug fixes. Suggesting that one must be prioritized over the other is likewise to suggest that no-one is permitted to enjoy the game, or do their jobs until YOU get your game to play.

Personally, If I was a console user; I'd be happy that I don't have to live with the frustration of playing a ty game. Yes I'd be very frustrated by the delay. But I'd at least be grateful that quality is a high enough priority to warrant the delay in the first place.

No need for numbers here. PS5 alone has just outsold the Nintendo Switch in terms of number of units sold in it's lifetime. Some more fun facts:

The current console generation (PS5/xsX/S) is the fastest selling, ever.

Console remains the primary retail market for gaming in 2021.
I'd really like to see the source for all of these statements... just curious.

So, you want them to lay off all the "other content" staff while the guys who do the fixing do their jobs?
What many fail to realize - is that: There are hundreds of people working at Frontier. Some of them answer phones. Some of them deliver sandwiches. Some create animations, Others make amazing sound effects. ...and yes - some of them actually work on bug fixes for elite dangerous. But not very many of those groups overlap very far.

By the "logic" demonstrated in the majority of this thread - it seems y'all would like them to lay off anyone who isn't involved with fixing bugs. That all the "extra content" developers and creative teams can all go find different jobs since they're not working on bug fixes for you?? This makes absolutely no sense.

The new content is going to be done whether you like it or don't. The people who work on the extra content are NOT the same group as those who work on the bug fixes. Suggesting that one must be prioritized over the other is likewise to suggest that no-one is permitted to enjoy the game, or do their jobs until YOU get your game to play.

Personally, If I was a console user; I'd be happy that I don't have to live with the frustration of playing a ty game. Yes I'd be very frustrated by the delay. But I'd at least be grateful that quality is a high enough priority to warrant the delay in the first place.
After May 19 we can see how high the priority for quality is with Frontier.

Oddly, it seems that the only group within Frontier that is flexible enough to swap to other tasks are the staff that normally work on the console versions.

And it has been already answered by many that at some point even the coders are involved to implement the designers completed things. Also adding new stuff bears the possibility of new gamebreakers, that need to be fixed - on-top of the already existing bug pile.... all explained before and shared by other forum members.
Fictive Example: Ohh noooo... the new emote control UI blocks the other on-foot UIs e.g. the weapon change UI... Ohhh we have to fix this first, before we can return to fix X Y Z... Voila: even more delay added.
FDev has limited capacities on developing ED left. It's an old game. Forget about tens of teams working on different construction sites in ED. Not in a so many years old game. Even FDev stated this some long time ago, that the team size has changed over time. And no, I won't ping Sally for that question.

And I do know how dev processes run in industry and also managed this stuff - so I know, what I am talking about. I am into vehicle development. At some point feature increments of an ECU software are simply freezed to focus on stabilization. Forget about huge teams and divided realms of the codebase, where the creative guys freely create new wonders. Nope. At some point all comes together. And if the new added features are bugged, they become whole showstoppers for the whole software. That's why there is a feature increment freeze to reach an SOP in a good quality. Further feature upgrades are done in the next loop for the next vehicle modell upgrade e.g. a "facelift". I do not think, that developing a game is soo much different from ECU software. The designers may prepare movements and designer stuff, but at some poimt all comes together. Yeah... but some people just don't want to understand and keep cheering.
Not gonna explain it any time again. Understand it or not, not my issue.

Kinda arrogant statement, Mr. Bartlet. Sorry, that not everybody shares the same view with you. But your constant FD-defending is no brick wall, right?! The world would be much better place, if everyone shared the same opinion, right? Okay, lets stop it here. Over&out... Thanks for your feedback commander, highly appreciated.
Nah, they have different programmers for each part of the job. Engine programmer, render programmer, animation programmer, etc.

Or the artists, designers etc could work on say:

• alternative or custom HUDs
  • space ship interiors
  • more flora and fauna
  • Thargoid foot soldiers

Stuff that people have asked for for years, and might add QoL fixes and real gameplay.
But that's not what he wants.

He wants that everyone stops working until the game runs better and is ported to consoles. Your point is completely irrelevant to the topic. And even if it would be relevant, it's still a very bad point. Having ship interiors for example is much more complicated and requires more effort than adding an emote. How can you even compare these things?
In the meantime, we know they are actually working on megaship interiors, multicrew improvements, more engineers, cosmetics compability, new SRV, mission improvements and most likely some stuff that isn't announced yet.
So either you didn't know that or you are being dishonest on purpose.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore

Morning won't go with happy Friday but will go with merry Friday, getting this one in early as thanks to a certain virus don't get much free time at the moment. Just wandering will there be any console related stuff next week as in community or updates not Odyssey, obviously "Super Eight" is hitting next week which I would imagine will be the main focus. Basically don't want to miss anything if there's gonna be anything in the streams whilst using my Odyssey filter ;)

Toodley pip for now :D

Dooooooo you want me to spend several minutes replying with the exact same response to you until we throw something official out, to every one of these same repeated pokes from you across the days you throw them out, orrrrrrrrr would you prefer I spent those on getting stuff done for you? ;)

Because trust me, those several minutes really do make a whole load of difference.

This thread is pretty brilliant for FDEV honestly. I know they didn't start it, but they've really got it made here. Console commanders are here looking, griping, complaining, etc. about no ETA for consoles and PC commanders are here arguing with console commanders on why they shouldn't feel neglected. Then it turns into console commanders arguing with PC commanders for 50 pages and FDEV can kind of slip away (sprinkling some comments in here and there) and do whatever they're doing without Console and PC commanders harassing them, or if they do get harassed one side or the other immediately jumps in with something to argue about.

This looks a lot like the 5 stages of grief and I'd say we console commanders are somewhere around the anger and bargaining stage. Next comes depression, but let's just skip that and move to acceptance. Currently, FDEV doesn't have anything for us as much as we may want them to have something. They've repeatedly told us that they're not going to have anything until they get the PC release where they like it. That could mean performance/graphical improvements, new content, whatever. They haven't defined what it means, so it could mean all of those things. When they're ready, they'll turn back to consoles. So my question for my fellow console commanders is, why do we continue to invest emotional energy with a developer who isn't providing the content we want? Why do we not just either enjoy the content we do still have access to (Horizons) or show support for another developer who is providing content for their entire community? A close, sort of competitor, has dropped two content updates within about a month of each other. Though it is a bit different from Elite, I plan to support them by playing their content and just waiting for the day that Elite wants to bring console commanders back to their game. Yes, I'll probably get on a few day binge of Horizons just for that fix, but I'm moving on to the acceptance stage where they have nothing for us, so I'll support developers who do.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
and FDEV can kind of slip away (sprinkling some comments in here and there)
I can't sit here all day, sadly. Genuinely wish I could sometimes.

and do whatever they're doing without Console and PC commanders harassing them,
You should see my DMs.

or if they do get harassed one side or the other immediately jumps in with something to argue about.

This looks a lot like the 5 stages of grief and I'd say we console commanders are somewhere around the anger and bargaining stage. Next comes depression, but let's just skip that and move to acceptance. Currently, FDEV doesn't have anything for us as much as we may want them to have something. They've repeatedly told us that they're not going to have anything until they get the PC release where they like it. That could mean performance/graphical improvements, new content, whatever. They haven't defined what it means, so it could mean all of those things. When they're ready, they'll turn back to consoles. So my question for my fellow console commanders is, why do we continue to invest emotional energy with a developer who isn't providing the content we want? Why do we not just either enjoy the content we do still have access to (Horizons) or show support for another developer who is providing content for their entire community? A close, sort of competitor, has dropped two content updates within about a month of each other. Though it is a bit different from Elite, I plan to support them by playing their content and just waiting for the day that Elite wants to bring console commanders back to their game. Yes, I'll probably get on a few day binge of Horizons just for that fix, but I'm moving on to the acceptance stage where they have nothing for us, so I'll support developers who do.
This is a really nice read :) Thanks for taking the time.

I can't sit here all day, sadly. Genuinely wish I could sometimes.
I don't think you should. I think you should be able to slip away and be able to work on what needs to be worked on rather than playing referee between PC and Console.

You should see my DMs.
Good point, maybe you could designate Leo or Babelfisch as honorary DM repliers.

This is a really nice read :) Thanks for taking the time.
Now that I look at it, it's a very wordy way just to say, "go play something else for a while".

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom