Odyssey early access question

So finally getting around to buying Odyssey if i get the delux version with access to alpha does that progress carry over? Or is it just for the early access to it?

What happens in Alpha (and Beta if that is your next question) stays in Alpha.

If FD keep true to form, they will take a snapshot of the server and the Alpha participants play off of that. That way anything they do, anything they buy isn't reflected in their real game. For example a lot of people will buy expensive ships (or now an FC) to try out in Alpha and Beta, not caring if they use all their credits because the server isn't live..

Typically Betas for other big updates have had the prices of ships and modules seriously discounted so there was nothing unavailable to players, allowing beta testers to test virtually every combination of ship/modules/circumstances, thus allowing us to catch more "edge cases" in beta testing. As such they cannot allow players to keep beta "progress" as it's out of balance with the "live" galaxy.

Last edited:
soo, how much money do you have in the game?

when alpha test starts just maybe all prices within it are at 10%, but that can still mean you can't buy or test all you may want.

soo, how much money do you have in the game?

when alpha test starts just maybe all prices within it are at 10%, but that can still mean you can't buy or test all you may want.
Don't that this the wrong way, but it is the individual Commander to decide whether they have enough credits to play 'what ifs' in Alpha/Beta, nothing to do with FD at all.

Don't that this the wrong way, but it is the individual Commander to decide whether they have enough credits to play 'what ifs' in Alpha/Beta, nothing to do with FD at all.
ehm, everything he said was correct.

FD may drop the asset prices in the alpha/beta. But if it is a fairly new commander you have when they make the alpha snapshot, 10% of an Anaconda may still be over your budget.

ehm, everything he said was correct.

FD may drop the asset prices in the alpha/beta. But if it is a fairly new commander you have when they make the alpha snapshot, 10% of an Anaconda may still be over your budget.
And so what? Should everything be zero cost in the Alpha/Beta? No of course not it wouldn't be beneficial if everything was free, how would FD work out if their version of the economy is working as intended if no body uses it? Take the Beta for the Carriers, if everything was free then no one would have complained about the original upkeep, and FD wouldn't have been forced to change it.

Just accept the fact that not everyone can be given what they want all the time. If some newbie can't buy a Cutter in Alpha, so be it, he is a damn newbie!

And so what? Should everything be zero cost in the Alpha/Beta? No of course not it wouldn't be beneficial if everything was free, how would FD work out if their version of the economy is working as intended if no body uses it? Take the Beta for the Carriers, if everything was free then no one would have complained about the original upkeep, and FD wouldn't have been forced to change it.

Just accept the fact that not everyone can be given what they want all the time. If some newbie can't buy a Cutter in Alpha, so be it, he is a damn newbie!
I think you are a little bit on the fence here.

I read no such suggestion in Wenkman's comment, and there certainly wasn't in mine.

My only point is, your ability to explore all the features during alpha/beta depends on your current in-game credit balance. This is something you may consider before deciding whether to invest in any early access package.

So tell how having a 'conda will allow you to fully explore Legs etc - I'm not quite seeing it 🤔
You are absolutely right of course.

And since I have no knowledge of the prices for any of the new Odyssey assets (which, to be fair, shouldn't cost anywhere near an Anaconda), I don't have any informed idea of how much credits or existing assets are 'needed' to fully enjoy an alpha/beta.

My point was/is, that it is not criticism of FDEV to point out, that your experience and possibilities in alpha/beta is affected by your current ingame assets.

My point was/is, that it is not criticism of FDEV to point out, that your experience and possibilities in alpha/beta is affected by your current ingame assets.
True - and if fdev wants people to test things with money then they tend to make that available. But they usually want people to test as many scenarios as possible, and that is easiest to do if you have as many varied players as possible.

OP has months before they take the Alpha snapshots, if they want more money then it's easy to get.

The usual reason people ask for more money is so they can try out things with no consequences in their main-game - and that isn't useful for the alpha/beta. Doesn't stop them asking every time ;)

True - and if fdev wants people to test things with money then they tend to make that available. But they usually want people to test as many scenarios as possible, and that is easiest to do if you have as many varied players as possible.

OP has months before they take the Alpha snapshots, if they want more money then it's easy to get.

The usual reason people ask for more money is so they can try out things with no consequences in their main-game - and that isn't useful for the alpha/beta. Doesn't stop them asking every time ;)

I'll disagree slightly here- my gameplay makes no money at all, it does not interest me unless I get desperate. During the FC beta I could not test the FC since I had about 300 million in dosh, and could only test fully when FD made the price lower.

I'll disagree slightly here- my gameplay makes no money at all, it does not interest me unless I get desperate. During the FC beta I could not test the FC since I had about 300 million in dosh, and could only test fully when FD made the price lower.
... and as fdev said - no extra $$ because we want people to test using as well as owning. So you played your part. You could have changed your part, by getting the credits (as a lot did), but you chose not to. Blaze your own trail, etc ;)

Edit: And your post highlights the other point I made - people wanting to use alpha/beta for testing things they won't use in the actual game. Which is not the (primary) purpose of alpha/beta.

... and as fdev said - no extra $$ because we want people to test using as well as owning. So you played your part. You could have changed your part, by getting the credits (as a lot did), but you chose not to. Blaze your own trail, etc ;)

Edit: And your post highlights the other point I made - people wanting to use alpha/beta for testing things they won't use in the actual game. Which is not the (primary) purpose of alpha/beta.

But its also manifested in fish engineering, if the point is to test then its prudent to make everything cheap- Powerplay in betas is like this, engineering was as well. New ships that are rank locked are other areas where money and rank should not be a barrier (and in betas are unlocked).

To be honest I did not get the differentiation FD did with FCs. What they wanted to test was how people used a carrier, well, great, why not visit someone elses carrier while owning your own? I was about one person in five to properly test out the security and its implications for FCs, but my tests had to be very brief since FD structured the test the way they did because owning had different implications to being wanted and landing on one.

10% of an Anaconda is about 50 million credits, which is one 10-minute mission, so obtaining those credits in Alpha should be fairly straightforward if necessary.

But its also manifested in fish engineering, if the point is to test then its prudent to make everything cheap
It depends what you're testing, though. One of the big problems with switching to fish engineering as early as 2.1 Beta 2 was that it meant the difficulties obtaining materials in the original 2.1 release basicallly weren't noticed at all, even by most players.

It depends what you're testing, though. One of the big problems with switching to fish engineering as early as 2.1 Beta 2 was that it meant the difficulties obtaining materials in the original 2.1 release basicallly weren't noticed at all, even by most players.

True, but to test the myriad effects in general play (which is a much bigger, and important test) it was required, when mats are governed by RNG which can be dialed up or down.

10% of an Anaconda is about 50 million credits, which is one 10-minute mission, so obtaining those credits in Alpha should be fairly straightforward if necessary.

As a point they didn't reduce the price of Fleet Carriers in beta to test price points. It's possible nothing will be made cheap in the Odyssey alpha and beta for the same reason. When FDEV want people to rest weapons and ships they make it cheap so people can afford to buy them and afford to lose them, but they are testing new currencies and purchases in Odyssey so they may want to gauge prices and player ability to purchase. In fact all the testers may end up spawning on a planet with no ships, it's hard to say, but there's one thing I am certain of, we are all wrong!

I must be doing something severely wrong then. I just broke 100 mill for the first time by docking with an FC in the Achilles Altar sector and selling my exploration data. It took a bit more than 20 minutes to get there... ;-)

Jokes aside, you can surely make credits very fast in ED, I just have never done it, and wouldn't know how. It is not my current playstyle.

I missed the fish trading betas by being a late starter, but it sounded fun!
The 2nd beta for FC's did allow me to buy one and try it for a week, which was enough to set me on the path to buying. I certainly had nowhere near enough credits at that time!
I'm looking forward to playing alpha - if FD follow the last couple of beta 'freezes' they were about 5 weeks old snapshots used, so I'm trying not to have this account anywhere obscure (or particularly low on credits) for the next few weeks, just in case ;)

Top Bottom