Odyssey Progress (2)

yeah could be a CPU Problem. my AMD FX-8350 is ideling with 30%.

20% are going for OS, Discord/TS and Chrome. so just 10%-15% for the game?!
It has literally been analysed with proper tools and its to many CPU call and the lack of culling. The calls come from a messed up pipeline but they are simply ignoring that

It has literally been analysed with proper tools and its to many CPU call and the lack of culling. The calls come from a messed up pipeline but they are simply ignoring that
Yeah it is becoming BEYOND frustrating that they simply refuse to acknowledge what the community has already identified as being one of the biggest performance issues.

A good point, what are they doing to ensure they dont have a crunch culture - the programmers and artists dont deserve to be punished for management mistakes

Game developers seem to be the only professionals where Crunch is unacceptable, why? Every other profession on the planet, when you aren't meeting expectations, you either put in the extra work or they fire you.

Game developers seem to be the only professionals where Crunch is unacceptable, why? Every other profession on the planet, when you aren't meeting expectations, you either put in the extra work or they fire you.
Yep. I work as a graphic designer at an advertisement firm, and if we are slow, we get a stern talking-to, and if we don't speed it up and consistently fail to meet deadlines, we just get fired. Don't recall anyone ever standing up for us to stop crunch culture.

because crunch culture in programming has been repeatedly identified as causing mental breakdowns, health problems and a tons of other issues.

Not saying it doesnt do the same in other industries, but those have more protections than game development because those problems have been identified, while game dev doesnt have them yet

David, your company sold a broken beta as a finished product at full price (and you even "overcharged" people to play the alpha early). In any other industry in the world concerning selling a product to consumers, that is considered false-advertising and misleading the consumer (and also what I would call price-gouging). In any other industry where employees fail to meet the minimum requirements of their profession / occupation / job, they lose said job. I'm not saying people should lose their jobs, but more that people need to be held accountable, not just developers, designers, management, and executives of this company in which you are CEO of and are administrator of.
I hold so many of you accountable for this. Is it as bad as the CDPR / Cyberpunk fiasco? No, but it's very similar and at a much smaller scale since this game is very niche.
It is almost as if legal proceedings against your company is the only way to make you understand this.. but it should not come to that. We are showing you on Steam reviews, not only with the negative reviews, but also with the "early access" tagging going on. Many of us are tired of your company doing this, repeatedly.
Now you understand why you have gone through so many community managers, I would quit my job too if I had to deal with what your company does to its consumers.
Fix your game, fix your employees, fix your studio, fix your company, David.
That's all I have to tell you, thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Oh the CPU calls apperantly come from dx11 makes me wonder if Vulkan wouldn't have been the better choice for the new render system

Better depends on perspective. It's obvious that Vulkan is the superior API, but much less obvious that switching API could have been done or would be beneficial enough to justify.

Making the same mistakes in a different API probably wouldn't have changed much. EDO generally isn't CPU limited, despite the increased draw calls, on balanced systems, it seems to stall out the GPU first.

It's that how it's going to be like from now on for all game devs? Release a ty product, let alone a DLC (!), issue and apology and take a few months to fix it?

It's obvious FDev has money problems or they wouldn't release an alpha (not even a beta) product to rake in the cash.

Such a shame, I was really looking forward to Odyssey and between the crashes, the inability to do ground missions in coop and the crappy performance, I am really put off by the whole expac. I can't even refund it cause I spent 2 hours try to connect on launch day.

At least it's obvious that Star Citizen has no competition when an alpha pre-release game is better than a "released" game.

I love it when we get deltailed info about whats going on! Could be even more indepth and tehcnical, or have separate "tehcnically verbose" "report" for the ones of use that are entertained by such communication!

Currently it doesnt really matter much if I set everything to low or ultra, FPS performance has very little impact from these changes, but overall onfoot framerate stays quite low. Almost like something is doing work on processor, that should be done on GPU.

Better depends on perspective. It's obvious that Vulkan is the superior API, but much less obvious that switching API could have been done or would be beneficial enough to justify.

Making the same mistakes in a different API probably wouldn't have changed much. EDO generally isn't CPU limited, despite the increased draw calls, on balanced systems, it seems to stall out the GPU first.
I mean even if it would be the same performance it would now be more likely to use the game under Linux (that is if Vulkan was chosen over dx12)

With this latest, and biggest, expansion the team have taken on an amazing challenge. The whole galaxy in 1:1 scale, now down to the millimetre. Millions of players interacting with each other and many millions of AI game characters on billions of worlds, all orbiting around each other in an incredibly rich galaxy-wide ballet
I think, as players - focused on the small section of the galaxy we are in, that sometimes we forget the sheer scale of what you are doing.

I dream of the day we have proper EVA, and the ability to land on Earth Like worlds, but lets not forget, that though I am sure there are ambitions for this - the sheer scale of the job to map not just one planet like earth (Even Huge sandbox FPS games are usually less than 100km square.) - this has not been achieved in detail in any game to date.

Great job guys, and thank you David for your explanation - it makes sense, and unexpected issues will arise.

Please know that your work is appreciated (and has been since 1984).

Thanks for the detailed update. Feels good to know that things are acknowledged and taken care.

I pre-ordered EDO because I trusted the company and the team, so I would have spent my money anyway, even for an alpha (which this release seems to be) in order to support the developers.

But I can understand the anger of those who bought the game expecting a full performance and usability optimized product (which still is not).

At this point getting refunds would only drain away resources and further delay the end result.

So I'm still with you on this journey.
O7

Back
Top Bottom