ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

This should be delayed across ALL platforms. I'm not even salty about the delay as I want this new adventure to be the best it can be BUT...To release new exploration mechanics with first footfall tags, new things to find and essentially give PC players a 6 month head start is a slap in the face to console players. I have a PC account but my main account is PS4. PC should get their access to test it out and refine things but full release should goto EVERYONE at the SAME TIME. o7

What's the big deal? PC players were discovering things and tagging things for 2 years before the X-Box version was even released, and the X-Box players were doing the same for 18 months before the PS4 version was released. That horse bolted a long time ago.

Its not as if there isn't going to be anything left for you to get your footmark tags on first. 400 billion stars, and trillions of worlds. Is that big a deal, really?

There was a time in gamma, and early release when this game never even had discovery tags, and no one cared about such trivial things. They were just happy to have a 1:1 scale galaxy to explore and have fun in and share their discoveries with others. But now all players think about is writing their name all over as many systems as they can before anyone else gets there. (n)

Holding back the game for PC players (the ones who actually got this game made thanks to their kickstarter money) is what would be unfair!

Last edited:
To be honest ... I was not pleased at first reading these news. I'm having hiatus from ED after 5 years of constant play now, I'm playing "on foot" Cyberpunk and I hoped to return to ED space on foots too. But it's fact that RL times are not good right now, so I wish Frontier all the best and hope that Odyssey when released will be a success. I look forward to it.

400 billion stars, and trillions of worlds. Is that big a deal, really?

I agree here, it’s not the system is going to conquered by PC players in a few months. Nearly 10 years(ish) of game player from 3 different systems and only like .5% have been explored

they never said the Console and PC version would have been released simultaneously.
In fact they never were.

base game:
16 December 2014 PC
6 October 2015 XBox

Horizon:
15 December 2015 PC
3 June 2016 XBox
27 June 2017 PS4 along with the base game.

I really can't understand all this rage from console players now. It has always been like this.

they may not have explicitly said that consoles would be released at the same time of PC but implied it.
your quoted dates above are selective.
PC was the original target platform, Microsoft funded XBOX shortly after and also bought a period of exclusivity from PS4. (Thought to be one year)
once the game was eventually released on PS4, all subsequent releases were across all platforms (3.0 beyond, Fleet carriers etc). This will be the first released where it is split again.

couple the statement from Frontier that they will not be (re-)coding the game to make use of any of the improvements provided by the new consoles with the statement that we will now have to wait a further six months and I hope you can see why the console base are flagging annoyance.

by splitting PC from console, the game will be optimised for a single platform. Players with Mouse & Keyboard could potentially have a disproportionate influence on how the game handles

it’s not too long ago that there was an almighty uproar from VR players that Frontier was evil personified for not providing VR as part of the Odyssey DLC.

Never having been a console player, I don't fully understand the culture. But I understand that the PS4 was introduced in 2013.

I would hope that game designers would keep updating their games to take advantage of the latest generations of hardware.

If I had a PC bought in 2013 that struggled to play the latest version of a game, I'd buy a new one.

Quite rightly, however you would expect to be able to play the very latest version, not a version which is compatible with the 8 year old tech you have just paid to replace. The value of the console product is highly likely to be below the standard of the PC product.

I don't really see the culture reference, do we strike you as different in some way?

ED on different plattforms – from my point of view:
Meanwhile, over the years, things around ED changed a lot, how to play together within communities giving a plattform for all three worlds PC, PS, XBOX.
Playing on a PS and beeing part of a community where also XBOX and PC gamers are higly active, brings us more and more together in having the same targets/actions … where possible.

I fully understand the needs of FD for releases at different dates in the timeline.
I would be very happy about it, if game-internal details, like the third tag on a planet, would be avaible for all plattforms at the same time.
It gives a bad feeling to a console player to see your friends tagging the bubble and you are not a part of it.

Reading this tread I understand now that its pretty pointless to play ED on console (at least if you want that pristine experience). I was under the impression that this new release was when we all where going to have that Neil Armstrong moment, leave our ships, take the first steps etc... I think im not alone to think that way, but I see now that all this thinking is just bogus. Im not going to waste anymore time complaining and will accept the fact console players are not a priority and move on. ED on xbox was clearly a mistake on my part.

I understand that, I meant that I thought it would be easier to develop for consoles.

I imagine that it would be quite a challenge developing software to run well on systems with a ton of different hardware variables.

It can´t be explained clearer than this I think (and this is from 7 years of experience as an alpha backer from previous updates):

PC players get all the bugs, crashes and similar bad stuff at alpha to play whack-a-mole --> FD fixes most and worst of them --> game launched for PC --> FD starts porting game to the consoles --> more bugs detected after PC launch --> FD starts to fix them for PC and prevent them making it to the console version (where bug and crash fixing later after launch might be much harder thing)..

For me, again through learnings of previous major updates, all console owners will miss is pretty much alpha-phase of the Odyssey (both before and after launch, that much bugfest some updates have been long after launch), available to grind in that time billions at passenger missions while I work and swear my head off to squash bugs just to yell at the screen in the end...

To me it seems PC players are much more discriminated than console players, we are even used as free workforce to hunt bugs, and then to find first still existing bugs and other bad stuff after launch!

You missed a 0,
its 0.049% as of last info from Frontier that I saw.

And this, there should be enough planets to name tag for console players for "first foot landing" (if there even will be any such thing, especially at already colonized systems like in the "bubble" where most seem to wanna have their name despite people already live there).

And it is only certain planets, not like we can tag Earth-likes through Odyssey.

And all the rest of "first discovery / mapping" name tag-stuff console players can still do through Horizon, maybe even better at yet undiscovered systems while PC competition is drawn away from traditional exploration by Odyssey station interiors/ fps /planets.

As a side note, Fs2020 will come out this summer for the Xbox Series X/S, a much more anticipated title then Odyssey will ever be for me personally.
I wonder how much ED I'll still play once I get the Series X with Fs2020 installed.
An early 2021 Odyssey release would've gotten me to play ED a lot more then right now and had given it a chance to win me over, I doubt that to happen with a late 2021 release since I'll be hooked on Fs2020 by then.

As a side note, Fs2020 will come out this summer for the Xbox Series X/S, a much more anticipated title then Odyssey will ever be for me personally.
I wonder how much ED I'll still play once I get the Series X with Fs2020 installed.
An early 2021 Odyssey release would've gotten me to play ED a lot more then right now and had given it a chance to win me over, I doubt that to happen with a late 2021 release since I'll be hooked on Fs2020 by then.

I would not wanna hurt you much but I already tried it through Microsoft Store with Xbox Game Pass, and oh well... I discontinued whole monthly Game Pass.

Yeah if you like travelling on autopilot mostly above cities that don´t look much like they do in real life, or try to fly yourself and eventually crash...

And they say ED has no content... LOL

I bet that the minimum specs for Odyssey have been low balled and now they are realising it's actually very hard to get it to run well on those specs.

Top Bottom