ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

Aye, nearly 30 ..
Looks like our FPS skills need enhancing a tad.
You're telling me. ;) I can't remember which keys do what. Luckily I found a way to take the default key binds for my X52 Pro, append them to my Ver 3 binds and call them Ver 4. I could only ever play Doom in godmode, I sucked so much. ;)
Wolfenstein must have been a few years earlier.

Will you be fixing the hotspots not generating materials when laser mining throughout the galaxy as this has been going on almost a year in horizons and its still not fixed.

You fixed the tritium so cmdrs could mine it and fuel their carriers.
You changed all high end mats in hotspots to Deep Core.

But nothing generates when laser mining in rocks in hotspots and it hasnt for a long time.

Please fix that and keep the mining community happy because we're not right now. Its a waste of time finding new mining ground or even going out into the black to explore and scan ring systems, finding hotspots if nothing generates in those hotspots for laser mining.

To replicate, go out in the black or for that matter in the bubble, use standard mining lasers, drop into a hotspot and try mining for what the hotspot advertises, you will get next to nothing or nothing and waste hundreds of limpets.

It needs fixing galaxy wide not just in the bubble.

I opened a ticket a long time ago and lots of other cmdrs confirmed it was a problem and confirmed rocks not generating mats in hotspots using mining lasers.

You said it was fixed, you closed the ticket.

You didnt fix it at all.

This has been going on since before
  • FLEET CARRIERS UPDATE - PATCH 1

So to recap, youve completed Horizons - all the patches - laser mining still not fixed
Youve now completed a lot of Odyssey alpha and odyssey - up to patch 3 - laser mining still not fixed

Instead you have opted to feed the desires of combat players and give them what they want and what their hearts desire, yet broke things for other gameplay types in favour for combat. I understand a lot of you Devs play combat but there is no need to break other forms of gameplay to force players into combat and into your own gameplay type is there. Extremely uncalled for and unfair on a supposedly equally balanced game for all gameplay types.

Please fix it so all us miners can carry on enjoying what we love to do and fix what you broke.

Also forgot

Panther Clipper? Where is it, ah yes its not a combat ship is it, thats why.

So doing a concept on Newsletter 08 and 13 years ago was just a smoke screen then to give players false hope.

We asked for the larger cargo transport ship, you promised the Panther Clipper as it was in the original game and you even did concept artwork for it.

Instead you brought out the challenger series, mamba, krait series, all combat ships and stiffed all the cargo and mining players again in favour of combat.

Its about time you started being fair with the whole Elite community instead of combat based community and made the game equally balanced so we can all enjoy what we do instead of it being stripped in favour of one gameplay type.

Give the cargo runners and miners something new. Combat players have enough to keep them going including space legs and carriers.

Now can you see why you are not being equally fair to all players.

How hard can fixing laser mining and bringing out 1 ship be

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey Arf,

Thank you for your Massage. Location like Earth Like Planets or Ship Interiors would be for me the most greatest thing you can do.
A Simple version of modular Base Building on Moons or Planets would be very nice too. A new Bubble Complete made by Players.

o7
Cmdr Libellgon

Greetings Commanders!

We hope you enjoyed our first dev diary release and stream. It was our pleasure to bring you the latest news on Odyssey and needless to say we can't wait to share more info around further locations, missions, combat and more in further episodes over the coming months.

We are aware that there are a lot of questions across the community and while we will be bringing a more detailed FAQ for these very soon we felt it was right to update you on a couple of the most discussed topics in the Elite Community at this time, specifically around VR in Odyssey, and ship interiors.

VR and Elite Dangerous Odyssey

We understand that our VR players are keen to know more about how the transition and gameplay will work in Odyssey in VR. With that in mind, we would like to share our current plan for how that will work.
In Odyssey, players will be able to fly down to planets, fly through atmospheres and drive along planet surfaces in their SRVs - all while remaining in VR.

When disembarking your ship or SRV, players will be presented with a projected flat game screen in their VR headset in order to continue on foot. Players will of course be able to remove headsets if they so choose, but this will not be a requirement to continue your adventure.

There will be no requirement to boot between Horizons and Odyssey in order to continue your journey.
We understand that VR is a big part of Elite Dangerous and is a feature that holds a dedicated and passionate community. However, we do strongly believe that VR should only be enabled for on foot gameplay when we have an experience that truly matches the same quality bar that we set for cockpits. That said, we do hope that this implementation will allow our VR players the best possible transition between their VR experience and exploration on foot.

Ship Interiors

Another topic we know players keen for more information on is around ship interiors, and we wanted to clarify our current position on this.

While Odyssey will see players explore a wide range of on and off world locations including station interiors, ship interiors will not be included at launch.

We understand that the bond between Commander and starship is incredibly strong and know this will disappointing news for some. However, we believe it is right to invest our development time in locations and features which offer the most meaningful experience and gameplay for all players. Rest assured that Odyssey will offer a great variety of long requested locations to explore, both on land and in space, which we'll be sharing more details around very soon.

As always, we value and appreciate your passion and feedback and cannot wait to share more with you.

-Arf
As a Star Citizen, not including Ship interiors is a HUGE blunder. The reason SC is a $350 Million+ Alpha is almost SOLELY because of Ship Interiors (ok, being fascitious but not far from the truth). The ship interiors are the MOST important location, as Cmdrs and Citizens alike spend soo much time in and on ships, not prioritizing that aspect seems like a HUGE mistake imho

I am enjoying Odyssey in Alpha so far, sure there are a couple issues: NPC's doing traditional dances as they awkwardly try and pathfind, getting caught on a hitbox then floating NPC's in stations when walking though not when at rest.

I have yet to leave the station I got in to and have only been on Odyssey for a mere few hours though already am AWED by the sheer magnitude of size my T10 has as it fills all available space. It's beautiful being able to see the little details of caution and danger signs along with being able to look around with a unique perspective.

I am excited to see how it develops!!...please...please though...I beg you....give us INTERIORS in spaceships. I think the majority of us don't even care if it's slightly inaccurate with size allocations. It opens up a platform to do EVA's, HOT planet mission arrivals and departures - someone mentioned being under fire and hitting a shield cell bank button at the stairway and thus giving you time to get to the bridge to smite them fools - as well as a way for great solo AND community experiences be it chilling by yourself in the observatory deck with a coffee as you orbit a spectacular sight or with squadron meetings on board a fleet carrier as you plan a war.

I will wait, I have faith and I am in no rush but please...let me chill in my bunk like Dave Lister, curry stains and all.

As a Star Citizen, not including Ship interiors is a HUGE blunder. The reason SC is a $350 Million+ Alpha is almost SOLELY because of Ship Interiors (ok, being fascitious but not far from the truth). The ship interiors are the MOST important location, as Cmdrs and Citizens alike spend soo much time in and on ships, not prioritizing that aspect seems like a HUGE mistake imho
Oh it's not a mistake, it's a deliberate (and planned since start) business decision. They will sell them to us soon(tm) :) There are quotes from the kickstarter or whenever when they were designing Elite:D that there will be legs dlc, stations dlc, interiors dlc, atmos dlc etc.

Oh it's not a mistake, it's a deliberate (and planned since start) business decision. They will sell them to us soon(tm) :) There are quotes from the kickstarter or whenever when they were designing Elite:D that there will be legs dlc, stations dlc, interiors dlc, atmos dlc etc.
If they do ship interiors, It will probably be another DLC and there'll be a huge jump up in requirements for the game itself.

A Bug in Odyssey let me see the inside of a Cobra and apart from the Bridge and SRV bay, there was nothing there. This means that in order to put in the ship interior, there's going to be a heck of a lot more complexity in the ship models alone and add to the fact that the game engine would have to handle people walking around these ships while they fly. They might have designed all the ships with walking around but it's a massive piece of work to implement it. I would much prefer them to complete the VR Walking around before they tackle ship interiors.

I would much prefer them to complete the VR Walking around before they tackle ship interiors.
I'm kinda indifferent to both at this point, I'd welcome an update on either of them. VR obviously is not their priority at all, maybe they don't have the required manpower to do that or it's not viable or interesting from a business standpoint for them. The way they realised the "VR look" hints at one dev taking mercy on us VR peps and throwing something together quickly. And thanks for the effort Nameless Guy, btw.! I'd appreciate a sort of steamvr theater mode though, as in throw an environment around it or at least change the bkg colour :D

Still undecided on Odyssey purchase, strongly leaning to "not at launch" so any update on these subject would be good, on both would be better ;-)

As for "lack of" ship interiors in game - even if they were modelled, why leave it in the live game? People would demand for "enabling" them then because they saw them in a glitch or something. It's possible they're just cut out, or weren't modelled at all. I wouldn't have a problem paying for ship interiors DLC down the line, provided it supports VR.

As a Star Citizen, not including Ship interiors is a HUGE blunder.

I don't think it's a blunder. If FDev could wave a magic wand then 1,000,000% .. ship interiors would be in.

But there are two factors. Basic stability of FPS avatars and interaction, not on static stations but on a ship that might be jumping systems or travelling hyperspace? That's running .. Odyssey is first learning to walk. Second apart from getting into a bed and going to sleep, what's to do on your ship that's on supercruise-assist to destination? The interior needs designed access to panels and consoles where you can apply engineering or possible repairs. This is why people who can wait don't want a shell of a ship, they want a ship you can interact with. So, imho, it's not a blunder .. it's a stretch goal.

I would much prefer them to complete the VR Walking around before they tackle ship interiors.
Here, have a like for reading/speaking my mind.
If they do ship interiors, It will probably be another DLC and there'll be a huge jump up in requirements for the game itself.

A Bug in Odyssey let me see the inside of a Cobra and apart from the Bridge and SRV bay, there was nothing there. This means that in order to put in the ship interior, there's going to be a heck of a lot more complexity in the ship models alone and add to the fact that the game engine would have to handle people walking around these ships while they fly. They might have designed all the ships with walking around but it's a massive piece of work to implement it.
+
I'd be ok with paid DLC for those things, in fact it's a shut up and take my money kind of thing provided one condition was met:
I wouldn't have a problem paying for ship interiors DLC down the line, provided it supports VR.
Provided it's in proper VR when walking through these new venues - not this virtual flatscreen rubbish.

Still undecided on Odyssey purchase, strongly leaning to "not at launch" so any update on these subject would be good, on both would be better ;-)
If I were in your position, I'd keep my sheckles shackled the now...

I bought Alpha access to give me legit access to assess VR inc the infernally pish ViRtual Flatscreen, and thus enable me to legitimately make noise about it if it wasn't any good, In hindsight, I could have kept my sheckles shackled in my wallet and made my assessments on youtube videos, and might have been better positioned to "negotiate" for VR had I not bought the damned game. Now we KNOW - rather than suspect, that the ViRtual flatscreen is indeed utter pish, you don't need to put your euros in Frontiers coffers, and WE boxheads may be best served if you DON'T.

Provided it's in proper VR when walking through these new venues - not this virtual flatscreen rubbish.
Rest assured I don't consider it "proper VR support", I consider it another disconnect between the developer and the playerbase. That said I'd be happy with a "3d mouselook" as it is preached here on the forums as a reasonable compromise. If anyone wants to try that for themselves (if they can handle it) download protonwar demo on steam:

As for keeping my zlotys shackled in my wallet, it actually depends. I have a close friend who wants to get into Elite and if he goes in, I will probably go in too to play together with him. So far I told him to hold his horses (he has VR too) and explained the situation with the need to take off the helmet. We will probably wait for a sale, unless he's really impatient :D

I have not seen any footage from VR in cockpits from Odyssey , is it the same as Horizons(beyond)? I'm not too interested in the fps aspect of the game but i still want to enjoy "flying" my ship in VR(i tryed desktop didn't click with me :( ) , from my understanding when they will update the client the Horizons pack will be a locked up version of Odyssey as they did with the old base game and those changes in the game will affect the VR experience.
It's more or less the same, the VR works as it did before, providing stereoscopic headlook from the pilots seat, some of the menus are updated, and some of the ships appear to have new textures applied to elements of the cockpit, but its 90%+ the same.

It's more or less the same, the VR works as it did before, providing stereoscopic headlook from the pilots seat, some of the menus are updated, and some of the ships appear to have new textures applied to elements of the cockpit, but its 90%+ the same.
Perhaps I should have reiterated that despite cockpit VR being seemingly unscathed, possibly slightly imprroved with the new graphics, the onfoot ViRtual flatscreen is still woeful.

Top Bottom