ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

I've tryied it too last night. By the look of it in "cinema mode" I cant stop wonder why they didn't just put it all into VR already. I mean, they do not need to worry about integrate with VR physical controllers I my opinion if that represents the heavy work to do. I would be very happy to be immersed in VR using the same controls I already use (HOTAS, gamepad or even keyboard).

Really don't looks so different from a SRV ride to me.
I don't want to tempt fate, but I think that once they have optimised the graphics for normal mode, and done the bulk of the bug fizing, VR could follow fairly soon after

Thanks for the heads up, FDEV! As an Elite Dangerous VR player, I am very much looking forward to a time when on foot VR matches the tremendous quality of VR in the cockpit. That will absolutely be worth the wait. In the mean time, I am very appreciative of the terrific temporary solution FDEV has come up with for VR players.

I'm having such a great time participating in the Alpha. I am only a few days in and I can already tell that a lot of love has gone into Odyssey. I really like what I am seeing and I know that there's so much more to see and do, so many wonderful things I haven't seen and done, that I will do, over thousands of hours of wonderful ED gameplay. ED players are going to get so much enjoyment out of Odyssey. Thanks, FDEV! o7

When you are referring to 'cinema mode' how do you do that? I'm on a Q2 and I get a view into a window type of thing when in Odyssey mode.

I tried to get around a station last night using the hotas: it’s certainly possible, but there are a lot of new keys to bind and I felt like I was moving slowly compared to the NPCs. I think I would still stick with the hotas though, as I’m not after fast and furious FPS gameplay anyway.

I tried to get around a station last night using the hotas: it’s certainly possible, but there are a lot of new keys to bind and I felt like I was moving slowly compared to the NPCs. I think I would still stick with the hotas though, as I’m not after fast and furious FPS gameplay anyway.
I am using the HOTAS for on foot with forward and back set to the throttle axis, it operates as centre zero which I am not used to but full forward throttle gives me a respectable jog and my usual boost button gets me sprinting. At least it allows us to use the same keys and axes for the new stuff rather than needing unique binds.

I am using the HOTAS for on foot with forward and back set to the throttle axis, it operates as centre zero which I am not used to but full forward throttle gives me a respectable jog and my usual boost button gets me sprinting. At least it allows us to use the same keys and axes for the new stuff rather than needing unique binds.
I’m doing the same, trying to keep the same settings as for flight, where I don’t have a twist for yaw, for that I use pedals. I haven’t tried combat yet - how did that go?

I’m doing the same, trying to keep the same settings as for flight, where I don’t have a twist for yaw, for that I use pedals. I haven’t tried combat yet - how did that go?
Not well so far but that is as likely to be down to my low skill levels and not having done anything similar since Half Life 2 many years ago.

I just tested VR in the Odyssey Alpha (after the two patches) and I was quite pleased with the results: the 'cinema mode' is quite usable for station interiors, despite the loss of resolution (I'm using an Oculus Rift CV1) and there was an improvement to the ship cockpits in VR, mainly due to the new lighting I would assume. Frame rates have improved since the first alpha release, so I'm now optimistic that my i7 4790x / gtx 1080 will be able to handle the full in station VR experience, if it does get implemented.
Great. How did you get the launcher to start you in ODYSSEY instead of Horiozons? Cant figure it out.

Top Bottom