Odyssey VR specific bug reports - please contribute!

I just debugged the cause of the flat displays in VR. The bottom line is: The right eye views of the intermediary rendering passes that should/would be used in the holofac displays are actually generated, but in the final display composition step only the intermediary results for the left eye are used (for both the left and the right eye):

View attachment 227713

View attachment 227714
View attachment 227715
View attachment 227716

Writing here "anonymously" with a throwaway account. I'm a professional graphics development consultant and my usually hourly rate is about 400US$/h + travel expenses if I have to come in. So Frontier, you're welcome, I've just given you about 150US$ worth of consulting for free.
Fantastic work!

I don't think Frontier have such expertise in house.

Here's a couple of screenshots of what I mean by being in the middle of the ship looking out... I was sitting in my ASP on the FC. Went into carrier services. Did a repair and then exited carrier services to be left with the view in the screenie's. Its happened a few times now when at my FC and with different ships. Everything appears to be working ok i.e. no problems with VR and can still use some features of the game that do not depend on flying the ship. Can still look around in VR etc. and pause or exit the game. In short, all good so to speak...

EDIT: Have submitted bug report on the issue tracker.

View attachment 227805

View attachment 227806
Aye - I’ve seen something similar in my Cobra. I’ll add your report to the OP and add to the bug report when I’ve given it a try.

Ariorch, I've scanned through the issue tracker issues and we're still missing the following:
In your list the following entry is labeled incorrectly:
Could you order the issues by their issue number? Makes it easier to see if we missed one.

Ariorch, I've scanned through the issue tracker issues and we're still missing the following:
In your list the following entry is labeled incorrectly:
Could you order the issues by their issue number? Makes it easier to see if we missed one.
I’ve updated the OP with the bugs I missed - I think the inconsistent eyes report is a duplicate of my rock scatter one, but I’ve changed it anyway 👍

I am the original author of that issue. Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't change anything for me. Tried everything up to Low/VR Low, tried different resolutions. Is there a way to get a debug log from Elite?

Contributed to this:

No image with Oculus Rift S

It seems certain graphics settings are still preventing Rift devices from displaying the game in the HMD.

The workaround for me is to use the default 'High' setting for now, rather than 'VR High'.

I am the original author of that issue. Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't change anything for me. Tried everything up to Low/VR Low, tried different resolutions. Is there a way to get a debug log from Elite?

Not that I know of on the debug log.

It's a really peculiar problem. Thought I had it nailed then - it was consistently working in High, and then losing the feed in VR High, every time I switched back and forth. (Luckily the mirror window wasn't losing focus and I could still work the menus).

Then I played with it some more and it started not feeding through to the HMD on boot even on High setting etc. (The voodoo solution there for me was to close everything down: the game, Oculus, the launcher. Then start just the launcher. Oculus would boot, and recognise the game. Might be worth a try for you?)

Still no luck. Do you know if there is a way to force SteamVR instead of the Oculus SDK?

It's a really peculiar problem. Thought I had it nailed then - it was consistently working in High, and then losing the feed in VR High, every time I switched back and forth. (Luckily the mirror window wasn't losing focus and I could still work the menus).

Then I played with it some more and it started not feeding through to the HMD on boot even on High setting etc. (The voodoo solution there for me was to close everything down: the game, Oculus, the launcher. Then start just the launcher. Oculus would boot, and recognise the game. Might be worth a try for you?)

OP has been updated - a further bug has been acknowledged and can now be voted for and some new bug reports have been added; duplicate issues unfortunately.

I’ve just noticed this in the Hotfix notes:
Fixed a FSS planet closeup issue in VR
I can’t check this now as I’m away from my computer for the next 8 days or so - I’d appreciate it if someone could check this and I’ll knock it off the list. Is it the planets linked to head motion or the overly-bright planets, or (hopefully) both that have been fixed?

I’ve just noticed this in the Hotfix notes:

I can’t check this now as I’m away from my computer for the next 8 days or so - I’d appreciate it if someone could check this and I’ll knock it off the list. Is it the planets linked to head motion or the overly-bright planets, or (hopefully) both that have been fixed?
I've checked and the planets aren't linked to head motion anymore. Planets/moons didn't seem overly bright, although I didn't really notice that before.

Can you also add this (minor) one:

I've checked and the planets aren't linked to head motion anymore. Planets/moons didn't seem overly bright, although I didn't really notice that before.

Can you also add this (minor) one:
Thanks - the bright planets were like white stars, unmissable (you would think 😅), but I should’ve noted which planet types were doing it. Possibly the ice worlds.

I’ve added the UI bug and added to the report itself - I saw it in my last session.

In fact, after further testing, what really makes the difference is launching the game without launching the Oculus application and with '/VR'. It is not linked to SteamVR vs Oculus SDK.

Alas, after trying so hard to get it working, and trying it for a few hours, Frontier has succeeded in making me abandon VR. Temporally I hope. VR is the reason I was playing Elite. Cmon Frontier, so many years after its initial release, this game is still in every Top VR Games list. Don't underestimate the importance of VR and please, do something. We want to be able to seamlessly switch between a flat screen on foot and VR when flying. This 2D screen is rubbish.

BINGO!! Add "/Steam /VR" to the launch options in Steam - and it works!! A very very slightly more laggy but it works!

I’m getting some sort of weird UI artefacts when I look in the direction of where the left hand panel would be (whether the panel itself is open or not). It sort of looks like an orange UI boarder element box that keeps being drawn diagonally from the upper left to the lower right squiggling about.

If it’s on your list let me know and I’ll add to it. I can’t see one that looks like what I mean.

I’m getting some sort of weird UI artefacts when I look in the direction of where the left hand panel would be (whether the panel itself is open or not). It sort of looks like an orange UI boarder element box that keeps being drawn diagonally from the upper left to the lower right squiggling about.

If it’s on your list let me know and I’ll add to it. I can’t see one that looks like what I mean.
I’ve just added this to the OP:
Is that something like what you’re seeing?

Top Bottom