Odyssey VR specific bug reports - please contribute!

Alas, Fixed cases of shadows flickering from directional lights was not the fix we were looking for :(

I’ve just had a quick fly through the extant issue reports and everything is still extant as far as I can see.

@VR Mr Teatime - I couldn’t see the brightness difference problem, though I never really had it much anyway in my Q2. I’ll keep looking for it - it’d be nice to have at least one fix in this Update 😅

OMG I think they may have fixed the shading in one eye bug when near a star - can anyone else confirm this, as I'm not seeing it any more?
I checked at a couple of stars today - it was perfectly fine at one (couldn’t see any brightness difference no matter what angle I had the star at) but I could see it occur at the other, though only at very specific angles. I had to hold my head very still to get the shadowed eye to kick in - and even then the brightness wasn’t that different.

I checked at a couple of stars today - it was perfectly fine at one (couldn’t see any brightness difference no matter what angle I had the star at) but I could see it occur at the other, though only at very specific angles. I had to hold my head very still to get the shadowed eye to kick in - and even then the brightness wasn’t that different.
Wierd - I still get it really badly all over the place - no need for any nearby star.

Wierd - I still get it really badly all over the place - no need for any nearby star.
I wonder if it’s more noticeable in specific headsets? The issue report confirmations seem to be mostly Reverb G2 owners along with a few WMR headsets, and a Pimax.

In my Quest 2 I have to purposely look for the issue; I doubt I’d notice it in normal play. My headset brightness setting is at its lowest level though, so perhaps that is a factor.

I wonder if it’s more noticeable in specific headsets?
Could be - a wider FOV and/or less stereo overlap would result in more stuff that appears only in one eye, but unlike the original Oculus Rift CV1, the Quest2 is rather excellent in the FOV regard, compared to most of its contemporaries (well, on paper at least - I have not actually tried one :7).

Its 90 degree stereo overlap (rendered, that is, which is what should be pertinent how to the game treats it (what can actually be seen by the user depends on how well the device fits them)) could be what does it for you, although it does not strike me as that significantly better than the 86 of my Valve Index (2° difference to either side), nor does the 5 degree total FOV advantage of the latter.

(Numbers from: https://risa2000.github.io/hmdgdb/ , if of interest. :7)

(EDIT: The Index, Pimax 8k/5k, StarVR, and XTal all have canted lenses, which could concievably have had something to do with it, if it hadn't been for the fact that Elite Dangerous infamously does not take advantage of this sort of setup, and has to be run with a compatibility mode, which makes it see them as if the screens did not have that cant at all, and makes the driver reproject accordingly; The game renders forward-facing cameras regardless of the matrices delivered to it, which comes out rather wall-eyed, if not compensated for :7.)

Last edited:
I wonder if it’s more noticeable in specific headsets? The issue report confirmations seem to be mostly Reverb G2 owners along with a few WMR headsets, and a Pimax.

In my Quest 2 I have to purposely look for the issue; I doubt I’d notice it in normal play. My headset brightness setting is at its lowest level though, so perhaps that is a factor.
I have an HTC Vive, and sometimes it feels like I encounter only 30% of the VR issues that we're tracking. Even when I'm trying my best to duplicate them. 🤷‍♀️

I have an HTC Vive, and sometimes it feels like I encounter only 30% of the VR issues that we're tracking. Even when I'm trying my best to duplicate them. 🤷‍♀️
That’s good news for you then 😁

Apart from the needing to recenter the headset bug, I can see all the other confirmed VR issues within about 10 minutes - though the frame rate loss is intermittent. There are a few extra unconfirmed (and currently unreported) bugs still extant as well which I’ll need to resubmit, like the eye-searing glow when using the Codex or Squadron menus.

For any that are interested, here is my procedure:
Start on-foot tutorial, see that intro text is unreadable. Quit back to menu.
Start SRV “challenge” mission, see the rock scatter stereo discrepancy on the textures, see shadows from the SRV lights move with head movement, see the SRV shadow gradually disappear. Quit back to menu.
Start game. I’m docked so I can open the Shipyard and see that I’m misplaced inside or around ship models, depending on the ship size. Check Scorpion outfitting to see that it still looks like I’ve just been run over. Launch and enter SuperCruise and see the brief view glitch. Open FSS and see the lack of orbit lines above the first zoom level. Back to cockpit view, look at local star and wobble head to see the rotating star texture. Open Galaxy map and try to select a star using the mouse. Fly to local star and check for brightness difference. Fly back down to planetary base, seeing LOD flicker and the disappearing shadow bug again, this time in the cockpit, and land.
Check the holo-me tab to see the unconfirmed size bug. Open Codex to give eyes a quick blinding. Proceed to Concourse and check terminal for holo-me controls bug. Go back to ship and see if the frame rate drops out of the bottom of the game.

There’s a new VR-related issue report, but I’m not going to add it to the OP because it’s actually asking for a bit of on-foot VR to be removed 😅

It’s not something I can check myself, but apparently if you disembark on board a FC then open the carrier management screen the game pops into full VR, a bit like when using the camera suite. The report reads (to me) like the player is having a bit of a huff ‘n’ fuff about Odyssey VR and isn’t a serious submission.

OMG I think they may have fixed the shading in one eye bug when near a star - can anyone else confirm this, as I'm not seeing it any more?
Well, I confirm that this is not fixed, or at least not completely. I had the one-eye-shading-effect at multiple stars today, all of them B-Class stars :) . It seemed to be harder to notice / less of an effect with the yellow stars.

There’s a new VR-related issue report, but I’m not going to add it to the OP because it’s actually asking for a bit of on-foot VR to be removed 😅

It’s not something I can check myself, but apparently if you disembark on board a FC then open the carrier management screen the game pops into full VR, a bit like when using the camera suite. The report reads (to me) like the player is having a bit of a huff ‘n’ fuff about Odyssey VR and isn’t a serious submission.

Even though the issue report reads as if it's written by an angry toddler, at its core it is not as crazy as it sounds at first. When I inspected all the new shiny stuff on my carrier after the interiors dropped I found it quite jarring to be yanked into and out of VR repeatedly when perusing the carrier management on foot. The main screen is VR, other screens are not, so if you browse around, the game switches alot between VR and cinema mode.

I'm not saying it should be removed... but yeah. It can be very jarring.

Even though the issue report reads as if it's written by an angry toddler, at its core it is not as crazy as it sounds at first. When I inspected all the new shiny stuff on my carrier after the interiors dropped I found it quite jarring to be yanked into and out of VR repeatedly when perusing the carrier management on foot. The main screen is VR, other screens are not, so if you browse around, the game switches alot between VR and cinema mode.

I'm not saying it should be removed... but yeah. It can be very jarring.
Now that makes a lot more sense to me - I can imagine the constant flicking between flat and not-flat would be annoying.

I don’t own a carrier so I rely on others to test VR for them - so thanks for the explanation of this problem. I’ll add the report to the OP 👍

I didn't test it, the carrier interiors were the first time in a long while I did on foot, but I guess it would be the same when you are on foot and call the carrier management from the dial menu. For me at least, the carrier interior release was just the occasion to reveal that problem.

To be honest I didn't really understand what the reporter was about, but I just visited two white dwarves and Jackson's Lighthouse and didn't notice anything with the lens flares. For me they behaved like they always did (the orientation of lens flares always followed head rotation). I'm not going to mess with my graphics settings though, maybe this is bound to FX quality, or a specific ship problem - I was in a Phantom. I couldn't reproduce that issue.

Last edited:
Any VR explorers noticed this problem?
Hmm, just passed through a system with a spinny boy the other day, but moved on before observing anything..

I have however noticed what you have reported before, about anamorphic lens flares shifting vertical position with head rotation -. probably down to its Z offset, combined with one of the the unsuitable tracking behaviours we see such a lot of with sprites...

I usually play with lensflares turned off, because I just don't think they are a realistic effect, and quite annoying to have, unless one think of oneself as a camera lens, rather than a living being. Unfortunately a lot of emissive effects are lost together with them, if turned off -. stars look less blinding, and toastrack positional beacons become exceedingly hard tp see.

..but, now, if one absolutely IS to have lens flares, then I can't deny that it is correct behaviour for them, specifically (but not other things) to do all of: 1) rolling along with the camera, 2) Glaring out everything in one's view, including ship interior - the effect mimicks glare either in the camera lens train, or in micro scratches in one's helmet visor, and 3) Going out entirely, momentarily, in any eye view in which the originating light source becomes occluded, e.g. by a canopy strut. (When this happens with the glare from a nearby star, that reveals a smaller, otherwise identical sprite, which represents the star's corona, and which promisingly doesn't roll with the camera!).

Top Bottom