odyssey vr

From the Phase 2 patch notes:

“Oculus Rift HMD does not display the game“

Uh oh! And I was just getting to enjoy the sorta-first-person VR view on foot 😅

(Nervous waiting for download intensifying)

This might be the existing issue where the game boots in VR mode, displays in the mirror and tracks the HMD, but doesn’t get passed through to the HMD itself.

It’s a bit voodoo, but I find booting via Steam to flat mode, closing, then opening the launcher afresh and booting up, and switching to VR, usually works. Usually...

This might be the existing issue where the game boots in VR mode, displays in the mirror and tracks the HMD, but doesn’t get passed through to the HMD itself.

It’s a bit voodoo, but I find booting via Steam to flat mode, closing, then opening the launcher afresh and booting up, and switching to VR, usually works. Usually...
Sigh of relief

Everything seems to be functioning as before in Phase 1 😁

Sidey cockpit is looking more detailed, the SRV has a new bay, and the new hyperspace graphics are very swish - almost like the skybox stars are moving into their new positions.

Sigh of relief

Everything seems to be functioning as before in Phase 1 😁

Sidey cockpit is looking more detailed, the SRV has a new bay, and the new hyperspace graphics are very swish - almost like the skybox stars are moving into their new positions.

Just been playing (testing!) Alpha 2 in pancake, not tried VR yet, not had the time. I run an Oculus Rift S, is there anything 'special' I need to do to get this to work in Alpha2?

Liking the look of the new planets and lighting, looking forward to doing some low level flights in VR. :)

Just been playing (testing!) Alpha 2 in pancake, not tried VR yet, not had the time. I run an Oculus Rift S, is there anything 'special' I need to do to get this to work in Alpha2?

Liking the look of the new planets and lighting, looking forward to doing some low level flights in VR. :)
I had to turn my normal graphics settings down to get the Alpha to run in VR - I’m not sure which of the Ultra settings was causing the game to crash, but I knocked them all down to High and HMDQ back to 1.0 - I’ve since dropped HMDQ to 0.75 so I can mess around with the SRV and pretend-first-person VR with the vanity cam (a bit like playing on the original Rift, resolution wise) without too much stutter.

Apart from that, I can change VR / Flatscreen on the fly from the 3D menu in Graphics Options - all existing 3D options are listed. VR is still a bit off, quite a few things don’t work correctly yet, but it’s still worth a look to see what’s coming 😁

been playing in vr on the rift s, launching from the steam using the elite dangerous vr option that launches horizons, then quitting out waiting for the launch options to appear on the launcher .. then launching the alpha. everything seems to work pancake on foot has a nasty grey background thats distracting and the ship broker can cause some serious glitching and pov problems. but flying and srvs are absolutely fine and playable. dont forget to check you hmd res settings it seems to default to .5 which is horrible hope this helps

I've been playing in VR both flying and walking on oculus cv1, no major problems.
  • started oculus home, then started odyssey from the Elite Dangerous standalone launcher.
  • I had to set the graphic preset to medium before starting, as one or more settings in high / ultra was locking up the view in the HMD.
  • the grey border is indeed nasty.
  • some curvature to the "screen" would be good.

I finally decided to hook up my Rift S and give it a go. I started out in space in my Sidey. With my old system (4790k & 1080) and using my standard Horizons VR settings, it was crippling slow. Then I landed on a planet and tried walking around. The 2D projection is horrible because of no head tracking. If I could just use the HMD for looking and aiming and some other controls for movement, I think that would work fine. Then I tried a station and it just felt very weird. I feel too tall, until I get near something and then I feel the right height, but standing back a step or two from where I think I should be. When I play on the 2D monitor I don't get this feeling, probably because of the gray box. I'm just bummed that they haven't fixed head tracking yet.

I'm guessing they will get head tracking working at least for launch, but hopefully sometime during the alpha. Then I'll use some combination of controls, maybe throttle and mouse, or keyboard and mouse if I can map a key to a throttle button for Voice Attack. I think that's possible.

But unless they really optimize the code and get VR working properly, I think I'll just have to give up on ED in VR for now. It was great being back in the VR cockpit after a couple of weeks out of it, but I really just have no interest in playing in VR while doing this, and in pancake while doing that, and I really do want to play Odyssey. I don't love pancake, even on a big 4k monitor - everything looks so small, but I think I can get used to it.

I think VR is going to just have to wait until I can upgrade my system. Really, that would be build a new system. And I promised myself I wouldn't do that until I got a new HMD, which will need to be 2K per eye and a wider FOV (150 degrees or so) and great screen (deep black and bright colors). Hopefully that will just be another year or two (3-4 years behind schedule) and super fast GFX cards will be available and cheap.

Btw, anyone know of a new HMD as described on the horizon?

Btw, anyone know of a new HMD as described on the horizon?
Not sure if there is any high-res OLED HMD on the horizon unfortunately, I can only give you my humble opinion based on my experience with Pimax 8KX HMD.

For now (IMHO) there is only one consumer grade wide FOV HMD - Pimax 8KX, but the price of the whole HMD package (HMD + Valve LH + Valve Controllers) is in the $1500 - $2000 region, depending on your choice of 1 or 2 LHs and if you need controllers. Plus you really need 3090 to make it work to full potential (AMD is out of question now because of NVIDIA algorithms Pimax is using to boost the refresh rate to 90Hz) and 3080 doesn't have enough RAM.

8KX is not very user friendly HMD, but with the latest drivers, lots of ajustments, and Pimax Experience (they already have implemented community cloud game profiles, hopefully Auto-IPD adjustment is coming soon too) if you spend some time to adjust the HMD to your liking, you can get decent blacks, and not too bad colours (again - it's my IMHO). My preferred setting for ED is -3 to brightness and +1 contrast.

I'm mostly playing Horizons in VR (using 8KX with one LH) and it's a big improvement over 2D mode (Normal FOV - I think it's like 150 degrees, I limited refresh rate to 60 Hz because of the parallel projection requirements).

I tried Odyssey in VR today for an hour, and the pancake mode is a bit disappointing, the grey area around the 2D screen is quite distracting, and the 2D screen is quite small in 8KX, leaving around 50% of FOV to grey borders. I haven't played with the resolution though, maybe it can increase the relative size of 2D screen. I don't really bother about head tracking in this mode yet :).

I used to play other FPS 2D games using keyboard and mouse and I found that I'm quite comfortable with it.

For the VR part Odyssey, after half hour play through flight tutorial, it looks a bit better than Horizons, I guess because of new light engine etc. IMHO, new light system improved blacks, and colours also looks more saturated, but it may be just my perception.
EDIT: the flight tutorial may not be suitable to judge blacks as it's not in deep space...

I had to turn my normal graphics settings down to get the Alpha to run in VR - I’m not sure which of the Ultra settings was causing the game to crash, but I knocked them all down to High and HMDQ back to 1.0 - I’ve since dropped HMDQ to 0.75 so I can mess around with the SRV and pretend-first-person VR with the vanity cam (a bit like playing on the original Rift, resolution wise) without too much stutter.

Apart from that, I can change VR / Flatscreen on the fly from the 3D menu in Graphics Options - all existing 3D options are listed. VR is still a bit off, quite a few things don’t work correctly yet, but it’s still worth a look to see what’s coming 😁
EVGA 3090 Ultra graphics
i9-9900k cpu
32Gb ram
All SSds
Talking of VR settings, using my Valve Index in ODYSEE VR, at the moment, I struggle when roaming around planets/inside settlements in the SRV. Same when approaching Coriolis starports.

In HORIZONS my in-game settings are all at high or ultra with a 90Hz refresh rate. Under all circumstances the picture and graphical enhancements (shadows, textures etc) are excellent.

In ODYSEE I now have to turn most graphics setting down to low or off and even then reprojection is around 42%. Frame rate is 45 or sometimes less and cpu frame timings are really high. Its playable but I'm so aware of the small micro-stutters. The visuals may have been improved but they are really affecting the computing/graphical power needed to produce a decent VR framerate. Supercruise and hypercruise are fine, however. And, yes, I do understand that VR is only unofficially supported in the alpha

Swapping from VR to pancake 'in game' carries over the low VR graphics settings, so although you may have enough graphical power for a really good monitor display, everything is 'turned down' due to your VR settings requirements.

I also have to manually change the audio output when swapping from VR (VR headphones) to pancake (my own headphones), and have to re-adjust the monitor window size.

The HMD transition that Frontier has implemented is not good at all, immersion and realism goes out the window when you transition as it looks like your seeing things 3 rows back at a cinema while watching through binoculars, but I'm sure its the best they could do at this time (and probably for the foreseeable future - my opinion).

When on foot, I find it easier to travel short distances by staying in pancake mode and flying my ship, or even taking a shuttle.

Odysee is great for flat-screen gamers, it is a seamless space-flight to planet-on-foot sim, but for VR enthusiasts it will be a big hassle in its current form swapping and changing from flat to VR and, in my opinion, only really used for Horizon style play - thats if they can optimise the VR to run a lot better than it does at the moment.

EVGA 3090 Ultra graphics
i9-9900k cpu
32Gb ram
All SSds
Talking of VR settings, using my Valve Index in ODYSEE VR, at the moment, I struggle when roaming around planets/inside settlements in the SRV. Same when approaching Coriolis starports.

In HORIZONS my in-game settings are all at high or ultra with a 90Hz refresh rate. Under all circumstances the picture and graphical enhancements (shadows, textures etc) are excellent.

In ODYSEE I now have to turn most graphics setting down to low or off and even then reprojection is around 42%. Frame rate is 45 or sometimes less and cpu frame timings are really high. Its playable but I'm so aware of the small micro-stutters. The visuals may have been improved but they are really affecting the computing/graphical power needed to produce a decent VR framerate. Supercruise and hypercruise are fine, however. And, yes, I do understand that VR is only unofficially supported in the alpha

Swapping from VR to pancake 'in game' carries over the low VR graphics settings, so although you may have enough graphical power for a really good monitor display, everything is 'turned down' due to your VR settings requirements.

I also have to manually change the audio output when swapping from VR (VR headphones) to pancake (my own headphones), and have to re-adjust the monitor window size.

The HMD transition that Frontier has implemented is not good at all, immersion and realism goes out the window when you transition as it looks like your seeing things 3 rows back at a cinema while watching through binoculars, but I'm sure its the best they could do at this time (and probably for the foreseeable future - my opinion).

When on foot, I find it easier to travel short distances by staying in pancake mode and flying my ship, or even taking a shuttle.

Odysee is great for flat-screen gamers, it is a seamless space-flight to planet-on-foot sim, but for VR enthusiasts it will be a big hassle in its current form swapping and changing from flat to VR and, in my opinion, only really used for Horizon style play - thats if they can optimise the VR to run a lot better than it does at the moment.

I’m on a 3090 with a G2 and is way too demanding on planets and stations. Changing graphics settings doesn’t seem to do much either. My GPU is running at around 75% just flying around in space at 45FPS where I was getting 90FPS before.

I’ve noticed everything looks much clearer at all times though so I’m wondering if they are applying some sort of super sampling either by mistake or intentionally and that’s behind the much greater system demands. Anyone else noticed it looks like it’s being super sampled?

I played some Odyssey last night with my G2, it was crushing my rig on med settings, reprojection rate at 50%
11-12gb of video mem, 75% usage, RTX 3090
5950X @ 4.65 my cpu was running 60% at times and multipool cores, looked like it was utilizing 16 of them but not the threads

Last edited:
And for the VR : these devs should take exemple from some modders in Skyrim; Vr in odyssey should be very profitable with mechanics like "HIGGS" and "Be seated" mods and some virtualisation of the cockpits like in NMS or Vox machinae.
It is not very difficult to do as only ONE guy ha made these fantastic mods everytime , it is a real shame that a TEAM is unable to do the same !
This is pure lazyness, and money greed, money greed results everytime in failures, a lot of games were shut down/discontinued just because of that mean of thinking.
I seriously hope that FD will not take this way and rectify its point of view.

You need to downgrade your graphics to VR Medium then the Rift works. As soon as you upscale the graphics again then you juet end up with a black screen in your headset :(

You need to downgrade your graphics to VR Medium then the Rift works. As soon as you upscale the graphics again then you juet end up with a black screen in your headset :(
My Rift S worked fine with the same settings as Phase 1, I fortunately didn’t need to tinker with anything.

Tomorrow I get to play with getting my new-today Quest 2 working with ED 😅

My Rift S worked fine with the same settings as Phase 1, I fortunately didn’t need to tinker with anything.

Tomorrow I get to play with getting my new-today Quest 2 working with ED 😅
Rift S and Quests seem to be fine, but those of us with just plain Rift headsets are getting shafted :(

Top Bottom