[Official livestream] Fleet Carriers coming this year, on time, more news & details following the 24hr Charity livestream

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Right, so the first thread bans have been given out. If you don't stop all this petty bickering over the interpretation of a word, then you can all have a break.

alan-partridge-shrug-gif-5.gif

On the 22nd August during Gamescom Frontier released more information along with another video.
--------------
Capacity
  • Fleet Carriers have a total of 16 Landing Pads, composed of:
    • 8 Large
    • 4 Medium
    • 4 Small
  • Set permissions to allow others to dock at your Fleet Carrier.
---------------
also:
Are Fleet Carriers destructible, and can they defend themselves?
Fleet Carriers are not destructible, but they can defend themselves and other nearby ships.

@Teh Smoo
Can you change the type of carrier you have?
The ‘type’ of Fleet Carrier that you have is determined by the Support Vessel assigned to it, which in turn, determines its loadout. As mentioned above, this is something we will be talking about in a future stream.

Ah, apologies for the mistake on these two items.

You've described many simple things (some of which are separated), list them separately, add some mild hyperbole to it (for example, a "multitude of PCs and consoles" is just the XboxOne, PS4 and PC, that is to say, three platforms) and made no comparison to another game. That can be done with plenty of games if you mince them enough.

They're not done with plenty of games though, and certainly not as they're being made. Besides, I'd rather believe professional game developers of the difficulty rather than yourself. No offence.

But honestly, what was that statement? It literally describes an infinite timeline that begins sometime after the end of February. He might as well have said "sometime, but not February". Could be in ten years as well. It's like a no-announcement or might please some Sudoku lovers at best or come through as an exercise in logic. But in the context of what most of us want to know, it was... nothing. Silence would probably have been the better statement.

Also, if you look at this statement

Note the word "around" that at least didn't exclude some more info during the life stream and what I have to admit triggered some wishful thinking. But what was I vehemently attacked when I was mistakenly stating they "promised" more info during the life stream. Like in "How could I even dare to expect some concrete infos about the future of the game - in a Charity livestream!" So the general reaction on my comment a few days ago...
From the very same livestream (kindly provided by Thatchino; which I linked in my OP too):
Source: https://clips.twitch.tv/RelatedArborealSheepPraiseIt

I hope they're good. I have zero expectations...

But now that im thinking about it, its more of how i measure frontier developments not the feature itself so waiting to be pleasantly surprised. They could be very cool both in bubble and out of it. Just gotta see what makes it through their too hard gauntlet i guess.

I hope they're good. I have zero expectations...

But now that im thinking about it, its more of how i measure frontier developments not the feature itself so waiting to be pleasantly surprised.
Pretty much me too.

The one that I had expectations for, and turned out poor, was multicrew.
As a Fuel Rat there were so many possibilities wings+MC could have brought to the table:
  • training a potential rat by having someone experienced show our procedures, while they sit as co-pilot.
  • visa versa, rat sits co-pilot and observes new rat on drill, rescues.
  • double rat ships on c0de r3d calls, where one pilots the other handles scanner and limpets to shave previous seconds off acquisition and fueling.
  • rat jumping into a client ship to check prep+, their system, or jump them out of an EZ.
  • taking turns on long range rescues, to mitigate sleep/work, for quicker rescues.
I guess the trust (griefer) issues and network code just nuked any real value.

If I can afford a fleet carrier, i'll probably buy the cheapest one, bolting on a refuel/explorer mode, and park it someone to be useful to other cmdrs.

tl;dr But yeah, to re-quote "I hope they're good. I have zero expectations..." :/

Last edited:
Pretty much me too.

The one that I had expectations for, and turned out poor, was multicrew.
As a Fuel Rat there were so many possibilities wings+MC could have brought to the table:
  • training a potential rat by having someone experienced show our procedures, while they sit as co-pilot.
  • double rat ships on c0de r3d calls, where one pilots the other handles scanner and limpets to shave previous seconds off acquisition and fueling.
  • rat jumping into a client ship to check prep+, their system, or jump them out of an EZ.
  • taking turns on long range rescues, to mitigate sleep/work, for quicker rescues.
I guess the trust (griefer) issues and network code just nuked any real value.

If I can afford a fleet carrier, i'll probably buy the cheapest one, bolting on a refuel/explorer mode, and park it someone to be useful to other cmdrs.

tl;dr But yeah, to re-quote "I hope they're good. I have zero expectations..." :/
The problem with MC is, multiple ships are always better than one ship. And I don’t see why a fuel rat would jump to client’s ship, all client has to do is turning off modules and waiting.
Also I don’t see why multiple fuel rats would sit on the same ship. All they have to do is click a button and send a fuel transfer limpet.
The one time I had code red on me and Rats sent 3 ships. I asked why and they answered that it’s better to have more ships scattered around the system in case of the client giving false information on their location. (Which I had done lol)

The problem with MC is, multiple ships are always better than one ship.
I disagree. Or potentially disagree, as we can't actually test wings+MC.

And I don’t see why a fuel rat would jump to client’s ship, all client has to do is turning off modules and waiting.
Clients can have language issues, be new, drunk etc. Ass stated "rat jumping into a client ship to check prep+, their system, or jump them out of an EZ.".

Also I don’t see why multiple fuel rats would sit on the same ship. All they have to do is click a button and send a fuel transfer limpet.
As stated:
The one time I had code red on me and Rats sent 3 ships. I asked why and they answered that it’s better to have more ships scattered around the system in case of the client giving false information on their location. (Which I had done lol)
It's all situational. Clients mis-report/mistaken, sometimes multiple rats are sent to mitigate connection issues, or just to allow rats to "race", and give new rats experience going on calls.

I disagree. Or potentially disagree, as we can't actually test wings+MC.

Clients can have language issues, be new, drunk etc. stated "rat jumping into a client ship to check prep+, their system, or jump them out of an EZ.".

As stated:

It's all situational. Clients mis-report/mistaken, sometimes multiple rats are sent to mitigate connection issues, or just to allow rats to "race", and give new rats experience going on calls.
That's just overkill imo.
Client - Turns off all modules except for LS and turns beacon on.
Rat - Drops into wing signal and fires a fuel transfer limpet.
Client - happy
Rat - proud

A couple of screenshots is enough to tell the client what to do when there's language barrier. Instead of simplifying the process, you're adding more layers.

So here's a thing - on last week's Guard Frequency podcast the host proposed the notion that Frontier might shortly announce that FLEET CARRIERS ARE CANCELLED!

Wow. Hadn't considered that at all, and yet the moment he said it I was like .... oh - crap - I can actually see that happenning.

Just one question really ... Guess the weight of the salt!

eda2de59cf0ebe4086784fc3ddc964e4_L.jpg

😬

Deleted member 38366

D
So here's a thing - on last week's Guard Frequency podcast the host proposed the notion that Frontier might shortly announce that FLEET CARRIERS ARE CANCELLED!

Wow. Hadn't considered that at all, and yet the moment he said it I was like .... oh - crap - I can actually see that happenning.

Just one question really ... Guess the weight of the salt!

Now that'd be the equivalent of a "Salt Asteroid" impacting in Cambridge... if there's such a thing as a sodium chloride Asteroid ;)
I'd give that Asteroid a 9 on the Torino Scale. That'd be very bad. Not the end - but very very bad.

It's now 161 Days without new Content. In this environment, canceling something that's been delayed multiple times already is simply prohibitive.

May I ask why you can see that happening?

Feels a bit like we're measuring the weight of imaginary asteroids. 😜

In a rare flash of optimism, I think they will appear but will be basic. FCs have been delayed for so long because I think FD are really struggling (or have) to find and justify them being in the game.

An interesting question actually, and not as 'silly' as may be thought...

With resource allocation to 'New Era' being prioritised to the extent that neither Galnet nor II/CG content are to be introduced for the forseeable future, it isn't beyond imagining that an announcement of 'insufficient resources to include FC's' might be made, with the caveat that they would be included in the Q4 2020 DLC and available to those who have not purchased the DLC (I'm blindly guessing that code updates alleged to be in the DLC will be rolled out to everyone).

That was a waste of a thread. Yep fleet carriers are coming. We already know that. Yep major update end of year. So what. It will all happen eventually. Guess when news is so slow people just have to create their own.

Top Bottom