[FEDERATION] Official Recruitment Thread For the Earth Defense Fleet

I wanted to join, but the requirement of Discord is a deal breaker.

UPDATE - I submitted an in-game application anyway, with the humble hope you'll consider a waiver, as your squadron comes the closest to what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Hi Old Duck and thank you for your interest in our squad. Unfortunately, the use of Discord is mandatory. We have a reputation for being a very well-organized group and Discord helps us to provide our members with important information and updates. Here, EDF members find the daily task list and lots of other useful information in various other sections (BGS-instructions for newbies, resources, PvP, operations, engineering etc.) Furthermore, it is a protective measure.
Hopefully you will change your mind and visit us on our discord! O7

Last edited:
I wanted to take a moment to thank the leadership of the squadron for allowing me to join. However, I think I will probably be leaving. My interaction with the squadron members was wonderful, so please don't mistake this as a critique of your squadron (it's more of a self-critique). I'm just not in a place where I can be a truly useful contributor to the goals of the squadron (which I better understand having become a member). My ships are humble and my time will soon be limited, and I have a variety of "side projects" that require much of the time I do have to contribute to the game. It is clear to me now that this is one of the more serious squadrons, and that's a good thing, but I feel I'm just not ready for that commitment yet. Perhaps in a year or so, when I've checked off all my other boxes and have a top-tier ship that can be more of a help than a hindrance, I'll reapply. Until then, thank you for the kindness and best of success with your mission!

Last edited:
Well, sorry to hear about your decision but thank you for the kind words. Indeed, we have many veteran players in the EDF and are a very well-organized group. But keep in mind you don’t have to own a Corvette and be triple-A to fit in. A trader in a Type-6 Transporter f.e can help the fleet as much as one flying high-end ships. 😉 However, hope we meet again and feel free to re-join later. O7

as a former empire player who cleared his save after a long break in hopes to start fresh i felt it would be in my best interest to get involved with a player group that had people in it. my previous one before i took break had mostly console players and felt rather bland as a result. i found earth defense fleet and figured it would be a fit. i find the group to be a diverse and pleasant experience having players of all playstyle. come join us and help us grow!

Well, sorry to hear about your decision but thank you for the kind words. Indeed, we have many veteran players in the EDF and are a very well-organized group. But keep in mind you don’t have to own a Corvette and be triple-A to fit in. A trader in a Type-6 Transporter f.e can help the fleet as much as one flying high-end ships. 😉 However, hope we meet again and feel free to re-join later. O7
I enjoy doing missions and passenger runs with a purpose. I've been working on my own little adopted faction, but the problem with doing single-player BGS is it's very demanding. Like Farmville, I can't easily take a day off without falling behind. So ironically, belonging to a larger group might actually be the more casual approach to bringing meaning to my day-to-day play.

Here's what spooked me away from EDF. While in Squadron chat, the supreme leader (viceroy or I forget the official title) was fairly adamant that I not only sign up for Discord, but that I need to register for "assignments" in order to earn my way up the ranks. It felt very rigid. Now I totally understand coordinating what system you want the fleet to focus on, but I want the flexibility to be able to contribute to influence in a way that works best with my fleet and playstyle. For example, I've been running high INF+++++ passenger and cargo missions, which I quite enjoy doing. I can also bounty hunt, but combat zones are out of my league right now (I sold my Vulture to get my more fragile Python). I also enjoy exploring, so I'm happy to dump that cartographic data in any system / port that EDF considers a high priority. But I'm really not in a place where I can take on "daily assignments". I've got other things "IRL assignments" competing for my time.

So what do you think? Did I leave EDF prematurely, spooked by unfounded fears, or am I right in thinking I'm not hardcore enough to be part of this PMF? I've tried the solo BGS thing, and while I enjoy it, it's too much work to do alone except for the occasional low-population superpower flip (Federation). I must confess, I'm kinda missing the EDF, and I was only a member for a short time! At the very least I'll fire up my Discord app and see what these "assignments" are all about.

RL always comes first of course. But if a member plays the game, we appreciate if Commanders are active on discord and help the faction (f.e. in the Background Simulation). However, its a game and it should be fun. So there is no need to be spooked by unfounded fears. :)

Edit: Just saw you are now on our discord and recruit access is already granted. Welcome to the fleet!

I'm back, thank you, and I'm enjoying working for the Fleet. This squadron is quite flexible, and the Discord requirement isn't terrible. I use my mobile Discord app when out-of-game, but I'm able to use built-in Squadron comms when actually flying, which is very helpful as a VR player.

Joined last week as a new player to Elite Dangerous, seeing the various levels of players on their Discord was reassuring. So far I've been enjoying the flexibility afforded to a newbie like me and all the help I've received. o7

Joined up a few days ago and cant believe the activity and helpfulness of the guys here! Really pleased to have some further understanding in the best ways to do things regarding the BGS, having spent time as a single player BGS - running for a random small faction, i found it pretty damn lonely and hardwork! Great to have a team with you and good, organized direction to achieve results! Thanks guys!

I have been an active member in the EDF since Oct.2019 and before my time in the faction, I was a solo player. I have learned more about this game in the past few months than I ever did playing solo. The EDF is an awesome group of commanders that are willing to help out in any activity you want to partake in as well as any questions you have.

Hello Commanders
I would like to take this time to thank all the new commanders who have join the Fleet. The Earth Defense Fleet is the Vanguard of the Federation and welcome all who wish to support the freedom and rights of all Federation citizens.
Thank you
Fly Strong
Sky Marshal Vicktore Beskor (EDF)

I'm brand new to the game and these guys have been doing good with teaching me the ropes of different things. There's so much to do/learn in this game I'll be learning for a long time, these guys will help get you up and running though. Active in game and on voice chat.

Top Bottom