Ok, so I wanna "Get good" so I can take part in new things as they come out.

Personally, I find it gets very boring loading up a big ship, and I find loading up a Krait Phantom (mining build) is just about enough to match my patience :)

For me, the game was more enjoyable when I didn't have money. Now that I have all the ships I want and 700 M spare cash with nothing to spend it on, it's more difficult to find something meaningful to do.

So for me the best way to (slowly) earn money is this:

1. Learn how not to lose ships.

2. Play the game. The money will come.

@EmmyV - this has turned into a truly epic advice thread so thanks for phrasing your OP in a way that's encouraged such positive feedback and I'll be adding this thread to the newcomer advice section of my Best Of Forum thread (linked in my sig if you're unfamiliar with it).

As to my own advice ... I won't speak about money (except to say that I've always found a balance of "just" a hundred million credits or so to always be more than enough unless you're looking to cover the purchase, outfitting and subsequent loss of the big ships) but I will say (and this isn't just a cheap plug) that I've always found participation in Buckyball Races to be a genuinely good and fun way to learn stuff and improve your overall piloting skills. The latest race (again, linked in my sig) runs until Sunday night and if you possibly can I'd strongly advise you to drop everything, come along and give it a shot. Winning really doesn't matter - just run the course, place a time, learn from your mistakes (and the freely available advice) and then try to improve your time!

o7 and thanks again!

Oh, that's actually kind of important. So 64tons of cargo would NOT be filled up in more than a couple hours? There's no way I'd play this game more than like 2-3 hours in a row if I can help it.

My Cobra MK IV runs with 40 tons. I usually need 40 to 60 minutes (depending on how lucky i am) to fill it up. Then add some flight time from and to the station. That's perfectly fine for the about one hour slots my wife all too often gives me. So for a two hour slot, you might want something like 80 to 100 tons when you're quite proficient. Before that, the mentioned 64 tons suffice. And the Krait MK II can be set up either way, with just the 64 tons, or with over 90 tons when going mining. (For the 92 tons, you will quite certainly need to use the whole three hours to fill it up for quite a while. Unless you are exceptionally good in spotting the right rocks from a distance. )

The T9 is overkill when you only have two or three hours at hand.

Last edited:
Core mining becomes effective once you can spot the cores from the other asteroids. So for the start I would fill up with limpets, prospect the asteroids, and learn which one carry cores. Until you have learned this, you will waste a lot of limpets, and I would recommend at least 128 for a session.

One of the fastest ways to earn credits currently is mining Painite in double hotspots. Not core mining, but traditional laser mining. Asteroids with 40%+ Painite are pretty common there, and you will soon ignore roids with content only in the tens. Make sure you have at least 3 collectors per laser, and a power distributor to allow two mining lasers to run fully, otherwise you are too slow and core mining is more attractive. This makes the python roughly the smallest ship for effective painite mining. I managed about 150m Cr/h in one, including the 100ly trip back and forth between sale and mining spot. Not engineered, no guardian stuff, but I did drop the shield generator to take more collectors ;)

A no compromise Painite miner would be something like this Beluga
https://s.orbis.zone/3tp0

Do the guardian FSD blueprint missions, they are fun and also a good challenge to begin with. I watched a youtube video on how to do it and then went and tried, most fun I had in the game for a long time.

WHEW.
After reading all of that.
The OP will probably uninstall the game and change his name.
Hers, and nah. It's all good even the bad advice. Remember everything's data and I'm hardly a new player, just one who always feels vastly behind in the sea of activities going on.

Thank you all and yeah looks like I'm going to be learning some mining and I think the Krait just might do the trick for my first setup, and keep the T-9 my wing trader for now. Then when I get my clipper who knows!? Probably blow up aliens. Yeah. I'm feeling.... blow up aliens.

I equipped my beloved Keelback for Core Mining and I love it. Searched a pristine icy ring in the neighborhood, searched a Station for selling at 1.6 Mill/per Ton Void Opals. I di it like the video from The Pilot said: let my SLF do the Wing and fill up my 32 Tons Cargo Rack (2 Asteroids) within 45 Minutes. Get interdicted sometimes on my way to the selling station. If I want, I ditch the SLF and have 64 Tons of Cargo (but I don´t have the time in game, actually).

So I make about 50 Million in this time, get ranked in trading (much more fun than flying the T-9 with 750 Tons of whatever goes and being attacked everytime I do a loop round. Too stressy for me.

It is no grind, it is not getting too greedy for money, it is very much fun to do it.

I have a guardian FSD left at the station nearby, so I drop the cargobay and look for the next mining spots.

edit: did the first tries without collector limpets. It works, Keelback is agile enough, but it is less fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom