Once again 1 step forward and 5 steps back with FDev game play

The Highwake Jump trick is the one thing I forgot in my hiatus. Thanks for that refresher.
You can use that trick I was talking about to high wake out of a system too. If somebody strong is really on your tail do a emergency drop then boost away from where you dropped in while waiting for the fsd to cool down. By the time the npc drops in you should be far away and able to jump out before they can catch up. Just be careful though multiple emergency drops can shatter your canopy.

The easiest way to be able to continue to do that is to get shield boosters (and required power) and get your shield thermal resistance up.

Heavy duty armor doesnt add mass on lightweight base armor as well and makes a huge difference. Unless you're some epic combat rank (which you can lower via a support ticket) you be able to wake out of any interdiction.

If you want to do the same thing and fight back, make friends with a type-10 (think turrets). The poly count of the model shouldn't be encouraged but the utility is amazing.

If anything, the only problem with the whole situation is the interdictions are tied to the mission. Instead of feeling like you're in space with random chance of someone being there, it feels like you're being inconvenienced as part of the mission, which sucks. There was a time when it was more random and getting interdicted felt... actually organic to the galaxy.

Last edited:
I used to fly the T9 a lot. It has a simply wonderful bridge in VR. Even the simple things like brining one in to land at a planetary port in one, in VR was a joy. It had a real sense of mass.

However I lost a fair few due to endless strings of Elite Anaconda NPCs in the low security space I flew it in, usually when A. More than one attacked at once and/or B. I was more interested in shooting when I should have been running.

I ended up back in an Ananconda, which is a ship I don't like at all, and had a dreary, empty, hall like bridge in VR. Less cargo as well (not that I ever traded (or did anything else) for the money. The difference between 600m and 800m is irrelevant once you have your ships sorted). But the fact is the T9 is rubbish in fights, and if I want to trade in my home systems which are low sec, I am going to have to fight.

That's how it is. Shouting at FDEV because I cant just click a button and win won't change it.

The easiest way to be able to continue to do that is to get shield boosters (and required power) and get your shield thermal resistance up.

Heavy duty armor doesnt add mass on lightweight base armor as well and makes a huge difference. Unless you're some epic combat rank (which you can lower via a support ticket) you be able to wake out of any interdiction.

If you want to do the same thing and fight back, make friends with a type-10. The poly count of the model shouldn't be encouraged but the utility is amazing.

If anything, the only problem with the whole situation is the interdictions are tied and triggered by the mission. Instead of feeling like you're in space with random chance of someone being there, it feels like you're being inconvenienced as part of the mission, which sucks. There was a time when it was more random and getting interdicted felt... actually organic to the galaxy.
I used to run thermal shields but since I got used to the heat from oc pps I've been running HD shields. Better hp than thermals and you just need 2 g5 thermal shield boosters to get the same resistances. Shields on my vette went from 1,600(with gsrps) to 4,300(without gsrps) after the switch and resistances stayed even around 50%.

You can still get some random interdictions if you fly around in low security systems depending on its state. I mainly run wing assasination missions these days for the mats and I love it when I get incoming enemy alerts. That just means 4-5 deadly/elite npc condas are going to come feed themselves to my vette and give me even more mats:) I routinely stack 10-20 of these missions hoping for enemy alerts.

Last edited:
I doubt laughing at him and mocking him is making him play or feel better though. Surely, he can protest what he likes, it's for FDev to judge if he has a point or not?

I'll admit I read and thought "Nope, wouldn't have even tried that!", but never once thought of sticking it too him. Guess i made the mistake of reading on and just should have stopped at the OP. You live and learn. Fly safe, be well.

To be fair, most of us were mocking AND providing advice, not just mocking. This is a forum, for a game....the point of which is to have fun. Playful mocking shouldn't offend people, especially if they earned at least some of it (which he undoubtedly did). I feel for the OP, but he opened himself up for the jibes.

I love people in my family, truly love them, and the playful mockery in this thread is no less than what I'd dish in their direction if they were the OP....if anything he should be thanking everyone for showing him so much love.

I used to run thermal shields but since I got used to the heat from oc pps I've been running HD shields. Better hp than thermals and you just need 2 g5 thermal shield boosters to get the same resistances. Shields on my vette went from 1,600(with gsrps) to 4,300(without gsrps) after the switch and resistances stayed even around 50%.

Nice one. Yeah my goal is pve multipurpose, so its enhanced low power for me. Having 50% off mass is the greatest upgrade lets you use larger shields without upsetting the jump range too much. For pve purposes the resistances and boosters are definitely enough.

ah ha. Now I recall this trick. I used it to avoid a PVP'r once. Yea, just have to have that other system programmed in for jump. For every 20 replies, there is usually one that isn't stating the obvious. Thanks !
To be fair, that's always going to be a problem asking questions on a forum like this. The people responding have no idea what you do and don't know. With a learning curve like this game has, virtually nothing is actually obvious to the truly inexperienced. Which you aren't, but we're not mind readers, don't get huffy if someone guesses incorrectly where you are on that learning curve or what you might have forgotten during your hiatus.

Guest193293

G
It's your fault and you blame the game.

nick-cage-lol.gif

While folks are feeling open to mocking and giving advice, anyone care to tell me if my current T9 build will hold up long enough to get away if I do get interdicted on the way back with a hold full of painite? It hasn't happened yet.... so I'm nervous about it.

The FSD booster is normally a hull reinforcement but I'm currently jumping out to a remote mining location so swapped a small booster in for the trip.

Nice one. Yeah my goal is pve multipurpose, so its enhanced low power for me. Having 50% off mass is the greatest upgrade lets you use larger shields without upsetting the jump range too much. For pve purposes the resistances and boosters are definitely enough.

Sounds like a good setup I might try something like that on a ship setup for exploration. Only reason I pumped my shields up was so I can take on tons of elite wing assasination missions in my vette solo. Unless your doing stuff like that elp and thermal shields will do just fine for anything else in pve.

OP - crap ship loadout
- doesnt understand basics of high/low wake
- 'forgets' to throttle down
- responds to peoples helpful comments with bad attitude
- Blames the game and the developers
- general all round snarkiness
No wonder people get snarky back.
Hope he continues to fly badly and lose more ships.

While folks are feeling open to mocking and giving advice, anyone care to tell me if my current T9 build will hold up long enough to get away if I do get interdicted on the way back with a hold full of painite? It hasn't happened yet.... so I'm nervous about it.

The FSD booster is normally a hull reinforcement but I'm currently jumping out to a remote mining location so swapped a small booster in for the trip.

Ah, the T9 really makes me sad that there's no good reason to use a big ship for mining. :(
I mean, it's hardpoints are pretty-much perfect for a mining ship and it certainly looks the part.

On which note, you realise you've got an SSD missile launcher, there, but no seizmic charge launcher, right?
Personally, I'd go with a C1 abrasion blaster, a C1 SSD launcher, a pair of C2 mining lasers and a C2 seizmic launcher for the full mining experience.
Actually, I'd go with a Python instead, but there we are.

Do you really need A-rated sensors?
I know it's nice to have them but if you're short on power they're not really necessary for mining.

The T9 isn't going to win any races so there's no point in sticking with the light alloy hull.
Fit a HD MGC hull and you've got a ship that'll take some abuse after the shield goes down.
If you can't afford an MGC hull for a T9... fly a Python instead.

Do you really plan on mining 512t of ore in one go?
My T10 only has 256t capacity and filling that causes me to lose the will to live.
Get rid of one of the C8 racks and you can fit a bigger shield.
Also, if you restrict yourself to collecting 256t of ore, you can head back to a nearby station, swap into a Python built for cargo-hauling and use that to transport the ore to market.

If you're planning on laser-mining, I'd suggest using a weapon-focused PDist.
It just means you can kill a rock completely before the capacitor runs out of juice.

Personally, if I've got space for them, I like to fit 2x 1A prospectors.
That way you can switch to one, fire prospectors until you find a desirable 'roid and then switch to the other one to continue prospecting without losing track of the first roid you tagged.
Not a big deal but useful in certain situations.

Main thing to realise about the T9 is that if you get attacked you are totally defensive.
It's all about protecting your cargo and escaping with minimal damage.
You can't outrun or outfight your attacker and it's fairly unlikely you're going to outfly them. All you can expect to do is tank the damage while you dial up a system to jump to.
Once you accept that you can forget about attempting to keep the ship as fast/agile as possible cos it won't help.

Here's how I modified your build: https://s.orbis.zone/35_i

Oh please save the platitudes. There are plenty of ways to play risky if that's what floats your boat. But not many ways to just chill on a Saturday and have some fun without looking over your shoulder. If you look above at the loadout you'll see I was rigged for some mining too. But guess what, you drop in and what comes along, and NPC to demand your haul. And so again, only way to mine is in a war ship. Only way to transport, war ship. etc. etc.
I"m new to mining, only been doing it 1 week or so, only been attacked once and that was by an unengineered viper, soo easy to vaporize! But yeah when I stack missions that's when things sometimes go wrong, especially missions taken at Leonard Nimoy station for some reason! So I am finding mining a lot safer than stacking missions and I'm making tons of dosh doing it, which is what I need to upgrade my anaconda.

Thanks for the tips @Stealthie!

I actually have a python fitted for Core mining. It is perfectly sized for it, as I can't spend more time doing core mining for VO's than the python can hold anyway. The T9 is in my fleet because I just wanted an excuse to actually own and fly one and there's no way in heck I'm going to do trade missions in the the thing. I use the T9 when I just feel like filling a large hold with laser mining, typically painite, and do not want to core mine at all, hence why no seismic charges.

I do indeed fill it up before going back in but I will take your advice about the larger shield to heart. I will be bringing my trade-fitted Cutter out to where I mine and switch to it to go sell, but if these shields are ever shown to be too small I will definitely take that advice to fit a bigger shield. I'd like to test run it first and so far have not been jumped by anyone while mining or heading back to the stations (I've only mined in it 3 times so far).

The SSD is for the occasional diversion if I'm lasering a rock that has subsurface and the A sensors are simply because I had them lieing around already engineered (from another build where I did swap in D's). Switching them to D's has almost no affect on the jump range so in this build, so I decided it was a good place to keep them.
Regarding the PDist, I tested the thing out and it already pulls rocks faster than the collectors can collect so I went with the charge enhanced so that I get more engine boost uses out of it as well. I used to actually have a 3rd mining laser where the SSD sits....but that was totally overkill for the limpets to even think of keeping up so I just swapped it out.
Your suggestions adds more collectors so that makes all of those changes worth looking at.

I like the prospector double up idea. I hadn't even thought of that, that's definitely going in the bag of things to investigate. Thank you!

Thanks for the tips @Stealthie!

I actually have a python fitted for Core mining. It is perfectly sized for it, as I can't spend more time doing core mining for VO's than the python can hold anyway. The T9 is in my fleet because I just wanted an excuse to actually own and fly one and there's no way in heck I'm going to do trade missions in the the thing. I use the T9 when I just feel like filling a large hold with laser mining, typically painite, and do not want to core mine at all, hence why no seismic charges.

Fair enough.

If you're mainly planning to use it for laser-mining, you are going to need as many collectors as possible - whereas you only really need 4 for core mining.

If you're way out in the middle of nowhere, I guess a fuel-scoop would be required.
I'd think carefully about the benefit of an FSD Booster over the benefit of an MRP.
Maybe stick to one prospector in order to make room for an MRP.
Fitting an MGC hull will give you heaps of integrity without taking up slots for HRPs.

OP - crap ship loadout
- doesnt understand basics of high/low wake
- 'forgets' to throttle down
- responds to peoples helpful comments with bad attitude
- Blames the game and the developers
- general all round snarkiness
No wonder people get snarky back.
Hope he continues to fly badly and lose more ships.
You're right, tho the last sentence was a bit mean, probably should have left it at "...get snarky back." That would have made your point more effectively.

So I returned after a long hiatus to do some flying around and maybe make some credits doing deliveries. I bought a type 9, loaded it out, and then stacked some delivery missions. Had 3 out of 4 done, had made 3 million so far, and was on my last delivery when I was interdicted by a Chieftain NPC. The reticle went completely off screen, I had no chance in the type 9 to avoid the interdiction. Then I made the mistake of not throttling down and the ship went into attack mode. Not that I wanted to lose the cargo and mess up my reputation on the mission. But no chance to get away, so it was $11,000,000 to rebuy. And there it is +3 -11= - 8 millon for todays fun. What a game. So enjoyable. The only safe way to deliver is in a ship that can fight like the anaconda which holds about half the type 9. So big crates are USELESS unless you are in a wing with protection. As I've stated before, all the ways to make bank have been plugged and all the ways to loose big are very active. Nothing's changed in 6 months.View attachment 132021
Learning curve n stuff. T9 is a space cow and has the hardest time getting away anyway, but it's doable if you are prepared and do the right things. Like NOT EVER throttling down for example. Mistakes get you killed in Elite as it always has been and hopefully will always be. You learn from those though and next time you hit the "road" with a T9 you perhaps have better armour and your escape routine is a bit faster. Nothing wrong with the game and it especially is not a step back. Actually it's not even a step at all since nothing changed in this regard.

If you see the message in the top left from a npc about to interdict you then slow down and drop to normal space really fast you can ambush them. Just sit still and after 10sec or so they will drop in right in front of your ship and you can tear them apart. Of course this advice is only for people looking to kill their interdictors not run from em.

Make sure they are not on your 6 as you slow down or they will grab onto you. I usually pitch 180 degrees or so as I slow down.
Interesting, might give that a try....

Top Bottom