One thing I don’t understand about FDEV.

I will say up front that I love this game and this is in no way a criticism. I just legitimately don’t understand this. If cosmetics are the primary way FDEV makes money, why are there not more options? Why is there not a dedicated team set to creating new cosmetics for players to buy? Or why is there not a community creation system like in Elder Scrolls or Warframe where players can create cosmetics to sell? This would bring in more money meaning they could hire more developers and get more accomplished. It would also give players a sense of customisation and uniqueness in the game. With Odyssey, that unlocks a whole world of possibilities for cosmetic customisation. I think it would even bring in more players and keep players busy and engaged in the game.

I will say up front that I love this game and this is in no way a criticism. I just legitimately don’t understand this. If cosmetics are the primary way FDEV makes money, why are there not more options? Why is there not a dedicated team set to creating new cosmetics for players to buy? Or why is there not a community creation system like in Elder Scrolls or Warframe where players can create cosmetics to sell? This would bring in more money meaning they could hire more developers and get more accomplished. It would also give players a sense of customisation and uniqueness in the game. With Odyssey, that unlocks a whole world of possibilities for cosmetic customisation. I think it would even bring in more players and keep players busy and engaged in the game.

They're probably worried that if they go full Sims then that's another game that Forumites will compare Elite to and that will upset the cosmic balance.

wow, you don't want ship interiors????
Forum get them!!!
Although I do admit, player owned planetary bases would be cool. But yea, ship interiors are great. But they don’t add anything to the bottom line and just create more problems. However, it does open up doors for customisation. Especially with commanders being more visible, more apparel choices would surely be a welcome addition. I’m sure YouTubers and streamers would love more additions to show off in their streams.

For FDev, it's 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. If they came up with more options, they'd be criticized harshly for everything they did and everything they didn't do. Don't get me wrong - there are some legitimate gripes with FDev going all the way back to the Kickstarter. But, still... the fan base can be pretty toxic.

PS4 Pilot here, and I would lovelovelove it if FDev gave us more options for our "Holo Me". Great opportunity for getting pilots to spend their Arx. I've already bought a couple of ship kits but I really want to get my pilot some clothes cuz running around in one's underwear is just rude.

For FDev, it's 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. If they came up with more options, they'd be criticized harshly for everything they did and everything they didn't do. Don't get me wrong - there are some legitimate gripes with FDev going all the way back to the Kickstarter. But, still... the fan base can be pretty toxic.
Those who seem to be toxic now, have been creative and constructive in the past ... and were ignored.

It's not that FDev fears the community for critics or that they think "oh, how can we do this to please everybody"... no, they prefer to ignore us ... they just do their own game without playing it. They really blaze their own trail... with moderate success where great success could be.

Those who seem to be toxic now, have been creative and constructive in the past ... and were ignored.

It's not that FDev fears the community for critics or that they think "oh, how can we do this to please everybody"... no, they prefer to ignore us ... they just do their own game without playing it. They really blaze their own trail... with moderate success where great success could be.

Fair enough. I've noticed that, as well.

If cosmetics are the primary way FDEV makes money
That's probably not the case - they don't provide a breakdown but the strong implication from their accounts is that game (and expansion) sales is the primary way they make money, and that's probably still true even if you only consider the ways that Elite Dangerous specifically makes FDev money.

(I know I've spent considerably less on cosmetics - none, since they started giving me more than enough free ARX to afford the bits I wanted, but even before then - than I did on buying the game in the first place)

Top Bottom