Only 20,800 free Arx per year

Now it’s on PC too, now you’re concerned. How touching.

I guess most PC players weren't even aware of "Frontier Points".

Not sure where you’re going with that.
I have praised them for it. In particular, this shop window I passed in Florence. View attachment 144136

Where I was going was that was that I think all the posts like "Wow, FD are so generous! They give us everything for free!" are a bit over the top, just as some of the complaints are.

I don't "hate" Frontier or insult the developers because of Arx, but I won't praise them for it either.

It’s only a trick if you’re stupid enough to fall for it. The 21st Century consumer is the smartest there has ever been.

d74c3fea1ac3183207ab57f708313182.jpg

you would think so wouldnt you, yet.....

"Players of King’s Candy Crush series of mobile puzzle games spent an average of $4.2 million a day in 2018, according to market analyst Sensor Tower. That is a growth of 6.5 percent over 2017. The franchise’s total revenues for 2018 reached $1.5 billion. "

Deleted member 182079

D
As I already explained in some previous post:
This is
sneaky marketing dedicated to people that don't spend money in the Frontier Store. This is not for people that already spend money there.
If you've never had a paintjob, there are few odds that you will ever buy one if you're not interested in
cosmetics.

But now Frontier is giving you some free items:

• the sidewinder paintjob for completing the tutorial
  • the 1 Arx thargoid bubblehead
And while you play the game you earn few ARX, so you're tempted time to time to check what's in the store available for you (the blue icon is there for a reason, like the eye of the big brother).
But what you see will always be "
few ARX away". So one day you check the price of an ARX package.... 5000 ARX for 2.99£ and you accept to buy one (it's jsut 2.99£ after all) to get a paintjob that you never wanted before September 2019 but that is suddenly so cool.
Do we have an image of that paintjob for the Sidey? Could tempt me to run through the tutorial (I might learn something new lol) even.

What has been overlooked about these ARX is that the store now lets you buy single paint jobs, instead of a pack of 6. It was incredibly annoying to have to purchase 6 for a particular paint that you liked previously.

Deleted member 182079

D
What has been overlooked about these ARX is that the store now lets you buy single paint jobs, instead of a pack of 6. It was incredibly annoying to have to purchase 6 for a particular paint that you liked previously.
And yet, the best two colours (graphite and arctic) of the Tactical pack have inexplicably gone awol.

AAAAAAAND apparently they're back with the latest patch, that's the second time today I got caught out by FDev fixing stuff haha

d74c3fea1ac3183207ab57f708313182.jpg

you would think so wouldnt you, yet.....

"Players of King’s Candy Crush series of mobile puzzle games spent an average of $4.2 million a day in 2018, according to market analyst Sensor Tower. That is a growth of 6.5 percent over 2017. The franchise’s total revenues for 2018 reached $1.5 billion. "

Yeah? And? So? What? People purchased stuff for a game they like. How many people on here purchased a HOTAS to play this game? How much was spent of ‘Collector’s Edition Plates’ in the Sunday supplements? What about people who spend thousands on boy racing their Vauxhall Nova? Many would say they were wasting their money, what business is it of ours? As long as they can afford it and get pleasure from it, what is the harm?
The way some people are going on, you’d imagine FD were hanging around school gates selling heroin.

You can't please everyone but you are at least now able to get some of those skins and other extras that you couldn't before so that's a win, i take the view that's it's good for FD to do this and that they are likely to offer some events in the game that you could win arx as a rewards so have some faith that 400 a week may not be the only way to earn them so FD it's over to you.

Which is an excellent indication of how many people have been ripped off by just such a system. None, otherwise you’d all know about them.

People also won't get ripped off with Arx. Lured into spending money? Yes. But that's different and doesn't mean the person will be unhappy about it later.

People also won't get ripped off with Arx. Lured into spending money? Yes. But that's different and doesn't mean the person will be unhappy about it later.

Nearly everything you do on this planet contains a lure for you to part with money. TV and radio ads. Ads in Spotify and on YouTube. Billboards and newspapers. It would be weird if this game was any different.

Nearly everything you do on this planet contains a lure for you to part with money. TV and radio ads. Ads in Spotify and on YouTube. Billboards and newspapers. It would be weird if this game was any different.

I agree. Just to reiterate my point, I'm not angry at Frontier about it, but I won't praise them or call them generous for it either.

Deleted member 182079

D
While I still believe that value for money overall has taken a pretty big hit (for me personally, taking into consideration my purchasing habits and being on PC), I've cooled down over the weekend and had a bit of a think how I can make this whole Arx system work for me (given it's here to stay).

Luckily I already bought most items I wanted over the past years, especially the more expensive stuff such as bobble heads and ship kits, so my appetite for additional bits has waned a fair bit now as I struggle to find items that I 1) consider good value for money and 2) genuinely desire (can't say I'm gagging for any of the latest paintjobs at all, too busy/garish for my taste).

I'll take the 'free' weekly Arx and will spend them on single paints for ships I wouldn't normally commit to (Asp Scout maybe?), the basic ones go for 380-620 I believe so that's 1-2 weeks of Arx earning. Can't really complain about that.

On the other hand, my (admittedly at times uncontrolled) impulse purchasing habit has been nipped in the bud with all that, so I will certainly spend less and likely focus on the seasonal items and general sales only. I haven't in the past and still don't like the overall business model, and even the blue shop icon doesn't bother me anymore as it actually reminds me now why I shouldn't spend money on Arx.

That's not to say I will never do so, but I feel like I'll definitely will be able to rein it in quite substantially. I say this in the least bitter/angry/salty way possible.

Top Bottom