Orbit lines rendering issues with a Radeon 6800

I think this is just a side effect of how horrible Odyssey's AA is overall
That's unlikely based on my testing. This was an issue in Horizons as well last June. I only noticed it then because I had just built a new PC with AMD graphics. Installing one of my old PC's GTX 770 cards resolved the issue, but the game wasn't really playable at the lowest graphics settings. I tried the 6700 XT and 6900 XT at the lowest settings as well, and the AA issue still existed.

I got everything setup, launched Horizons, and discovered my old config was already set to 4K. I started to think that I had tested at 4K the last time. Once I hit supercruise, there was no doubt. The issue is still there.

It appears that RX 6000 series cards just don't handle AA properly in DX9 games.

Elite: Dangerous is DX11 and the game's AA is post-process effect.

I think this is just a side effect of how horrible Odyssey's AA is overall

This orbit line AA issue is perceptibly worse on AMD than on NVIDIA, despite the rest of the AA in the game being comparable.

Edit: Just tested this again, same conclusion. My 3080 and my 6800 XT produce pretty much the same (poor) AA quality everywhere, except on 2D (orbit, mass, and some HUD) lines, where the 6800 XT is massively worse for some inexplicable reason. I don't know if it's more AMD's fault or Frontier's, but given I haven't seen anything like this in any other game, I'm leaning toward Frontier doing something incorrectly on recent AMD hardware.

Last edited:
ED apparently still needs DX9 for something, as it appears to install it for some reason. Look in /EDLaunch/Redis/. It contains a DX9 folder that contains an installer for DX9. I'm positive I saw the DX9 installer run during setup as well. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that installer actually did.

Based on these observations, it looks like ED uses a mix of DX11 and DX9. That could be why this is happening as well. Am I way off the mark here?

Edit: It may be that DX9 is still being used for the launcher only. That would at least explain why the launcher is painfully slow to load and close. Regardless, I wish someone at Frontier would at least supply more information than "We have no update at this time". I'll be shocked if that wish ever comes true.....

Last edited:
ED apparently still needs DX9 for something, as it appears to install it for some reason. Look in /EDLaunch/Redis/. It contains a DX9 folder that contains an installer for DX9. I'm positive I saw the DX9 installer run during setup as well. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that installer actually did.

There is no DX installer in my Redis folder, but I would not be surprised if the game downloads and installs the DX9-11 runtimes from 2010, if they aren't detected. Some of those components are commonly used to this day.

The renderer is still D3D11.

Based on these observations, it looks like ED uses a mix of DX11 and DX9. That could be why this is happening as well. Am I way off the mark here?

Edit: It may be that DX9 is still being used for the launcher only. That would at least explain why the launcher is painfully slow to load and close. Regardless, I wish someone at Frontier would at least supply more information than "We have no update at this time". I'll be shocked if that wish ever comes true.....
The DX redists are used by pretty much every D3D9 through 11 game, because OSes like Windows 7 need them, even though 8 and higher don't.
The game itself is pure D3D11, but the launcher is written in C# using WPF, which will use D3D9 if available. That's entirely unrelated to the slow start though - that's because it sends off and waits for a bunch of network requests before it appears.

Just swapped Radeon 5700 XT with 6800 XT and this started happening.
Anyone found any setting that can fix this?

Anyone found any setting that can fix this?

Not that I'm aware of.

Chances are it will take a patch to the game from Frontier, or a specific driver workaround from AMD. Neither of which I think is particularly likely to happen.

Chances are it will take a patch to the game from Frontier, or a specific driver workaround from AMD. Neither of which I think is particularly likely to happen.
Well, if it were happening in EDH and not EDO I reckon I'd agree, but EDO is the flagship so I'd hope they have no option but to fix it...

Well, if it were happening in EDH and not EDO I reckon I'd agree, but EDO is the flagship so I'd hope they have no option but to fix it...

Not many players with RX 6000 series parts, and FDev doesn't seem to have many test systems with these either, else they'd have noticed the issue far sooner. There are still plenty of other bugs as well; I'd imagine this is fairly low on their priority list.

Not many players with RX 6000 series parts, and FDev doesn't seem to have many test systems with these either, else they'd have noticed the issue far sooner. There are still plenty of other bugs as well; I'd imagine this is fairly low on their priority list.
I did wonder if FD were using mainly Nvidia cards. All it'll take then is for the next bunch of drivers to break it on the Nvidia cards too ;)

So I just upgraded my GTX 1060 with a Radeon 6800 (yeah!) but now I seem to have issues with the orbital lines. With the 6800 they look "incomplete" and not fully solid anymore. I sometime manage to make them solid by moving around but it's not constant. I'm running ED at Ultra setting, latest drivers and screen at 144hz / 2K. I even tried playing with the VSINC but to no avail. Any clues on how to fix this?View attachment 245232
Welcome to the RX 6800 orbit lines and planetary textures issue club. Fdev wont fix it the 6800 just doesn't play nice with odyssey. I have one and i love it except elite has a panic attack when it sees it.

I remember having an AMD card once, when the guardian sites first appeared, the obelisks wouldn't appear properly, they would be underground.

Didn't happen on nvidia cards

It was a right pain

This issue has been happening on RX 6000 series cards for over a year now (possibly since RX 6000 series was released). I've personally experienced it on two cards: RX 6700 XT and RX 6900 XT. I can understand this being a low priority, and I can even wait for them to get to it. I cannot accept the vacuum they've apparently placed this and many other issues into. The last bit of information I saw regarding this was in a support ticket response last June:

Jun 24, 2021

Hey CMDR,

Thanks for getting back in touch and apologies for the delayed response.

I can confirm that the issue has been raised to our internal teams for further investigate. However, we currently do not have any new information to share.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Do let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Kind regards,

Support Agent (redacted)

I see no reason to expect a fix any time soon.

Last edited:
This issue has been happening on RX 6000 series cards for over a year now (possibly since RX 6000 series was released). I've personally experienced it on two cards: RX 6700 XT and RX 6900 XT. I can understand this being a low priority, and I can even wait for them to get to it. I cannot accept the vacuum they've apparently placed this and many other issues into. The last bit of information I saw regarding this was in a support ticket response last June:

I see no reason to expect a fix any time soon.
There is also a issue with 6000 series with planets having lines in them. I love my RX 6800. It eats up 1440p max settings in all games and can do some ray tracing. However, bring that elite is spaghetti code it gets a panic attack with 6000 series. My RX 590 and RX 5700 both do not have this issue. Hopefully RX 7000 wont have it.

A possible work around is to install the EDHM UI mod then install a sub mod that allows you to alter orbit line thickens, brightness and glow 20220306215733_1.jpg

Note I have a NVidia card so cannot say whether this mod will help with the issue. However it does help hide the awful FDev AA and the hatching that they seem to have incorporated into orbit line.

Last edited:
tear along dotted line is my advice;)
well if your driver is up to date and you have tried deleting your gpuwoktable xml in your products folder
I can only assume its on the FD radion gpu optimisation list as to do...……..
Its not all amd GPUs
My RX 590, RX 5700 RX Vega 64 and Radeon VII do not do this
My RX 6800 does.
Its an issue with 6000 series i think

Its not all amd GPUs
My RX 590, RX 5700 RX Vega 64 and Radeon VII do not do this
My RX 6800 does.
Its an issue with 6000 series i think
It's already been determined that this issue only affects AMD RX 6000 series GPUs. I don't see where anyone stated it's all AMD GPUs.

A possible work around is to install the EDHM UI mod then install a sub mod that allows you to alter orbit line thickens, brightness and glow.
I'm going to try this on Horizons over the weekend. Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that existed.

I'm going to try this on Horizons over the weekend. Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that existed.
Pretty sure you need EDO for the 3PM function to work however the EDHM forum thread is here (1st post includes discord link). You will need to install the UI and then once that's installed and running you will want the 3PM (third party mod) Orbit lines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom