Over Four years since release and Frontier still hasn't fixed the Vive scaling issue...

I'm only 6ft, so not exceptionally tall. If I lift up or peak out the nose of my headset, my in game arm is easily only 2 thirds the size of my real arm in terms of length and the hands are smaller too. It's the same on my CV1 and the Quest 2. Again, it's not quite as jarring as the discrepancy is on the Vive, as I tried it on my mates one and yeah, that is bad.
That’s a weird one, I’ve never heard of the issue with the Oculus headsets in Elite. If I lift my headset up I’m literally one-to-one. Have you tried making small adjustments to the IPD setting?

(Realistically sized) fingers crossed for a slider in future 🤞

That’s a weird one, I’ve never heard of the issue with the Oculus headsets in Elite. If I lift my headset up I’m literally one-to-one. Have you tried making small adjustments to the IPD setting?

(Realistically sized) fingers crossed for a slider in future 🤞
I'm a bit confused...

Why are we using the body as the reference for scale? Surely it should be something fixed, like part of the ship's hardware e.g. the keyboard, throttle etc?
I'm a pretty short 5.6, and scale looks fine, legs perhaps longer, body defo thinner.

The model in game is fixed. If the model is set to 5.9, then anyone taller than 5.9 will find the body childlike. Being short and fat the body to me looks... long?

Does the cockpit look toyified? That's what we should be looking at?

My personal experience with SteamVR with oculus products is the cockpit... maybeeee... looks slightly toyified compared to going through oculus BUT the starfield depth is noticeably nearer compared to nonSteamVR. This is both wired and wireless (on Q2)

I'm a bit confused...

Why are we using the body as the reference for scale? Surely it should be something fixed, like part of the ship's hardware e.g. the keyboard, throttle etc?
I'm a pretty short 5.6, and scale looks fine, legs perhaps longer, body defo thinner.

The model in game is fixed. If the model is set to 5.9, then anyone taller than 5.9 will find the body childlike. Being short and fat the body to me looks... long?

Does the cockpit look toyified? That's what we should be looking at?

My personal experience with SteamVR with oculus products is the cockpit... maybeeee... looks slightly toyified compared to going through oculus BUT the starfield depth is noticeably nearer compared to nonSteamVR. This is both wired and wireless (on Q2)
I'm 5'7", with a longer torso and shorter legs than the pilot model. I'm on the Vive, and have never noticed anything particularly odd about the scaling.

This is a new (ish) subject to me.

There's only one game I'd ever played where I spotted a 'world scale' setting, that was Project Cars. I liked it and often wondered why other games didn't have it.

Anyway, I've also thought my ED body was a little bit small. Not overly small, just enough for me to spot it and wonder if my eyes were playing a trick on me.

I've been having a mess with this setting. Tried as high as -0.02, then between -0.002 and -0.006. I've kind of settled on -0.004.

In trying out other games/apps: Creed, Big Screen, Batman VR, Alyx, I think I need to maybe raise a little, maybe to -0.0035.

But, the one thing that does seem apparent to me is that the ED world does feel a touch different scale to the other. I'm feel like I'm having to some sort of middle ground between ED and everything else. I don't think it's breaking my experience, but there does seem to be something.
Agreed. Now SteamVR has that as a per title option; I'm okay.
On this one ^ I wasn't aware, but it should help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom