Guide / Tutorial Palin Mission from Obsidian Orbital

mission payouts reduced

Palin Mission: from Obsidian Orbital in Maia
First reported by ReaperSpace (here)

"Got a mission from Palin when i docked with my python to Obsidian Orbital in Maia...
its a fetch mission asking 4 units of unknown tech samples (where do i even get that?) "

8bY7ijH.png

7sTiyHn.png

Video guide from artigan99 : [video=youtube_share;WpnCXEugdtY]https://youtu.be/WpnCXEugdtY[/video]

• Get the mission by landing at Obsidian Orbital in Maia - it appears in your inbox (like the Ram Tah mission). Note that the amount required, reward, item to collect and destination can all vary! There are reports of CMDRs not being able to get the mission - leaving and re-entering system appears to fix this. . You do not need to have unlocked Palin as an engineer. If you still don't get the mission check you haven't already got a message from Palin down your inbox, he won't ask again if you don't reply.
  • You will be asked to collect one of the below, referred to here as Thargoid XXX:
    • Thargoid Biological Samples
    • Thargoid Resin
    • Thargoid Tech samples
    • etc
  • You will ideally have Corrosion Resistant Cargo Racks (CRCR) - as many as you can fit (the items you are asked to collect are corrosive). You can get them from Professor Palin if you have him unlocked as he is in Maia. You could use AFMUs (to repair your ship as you take damage) instead, but it is more risky.
  • You can visit a Thargoid Structure
    • Go to PLEIADES SECTOR MX-U D2-63 1 A (-43.8597, 85.8209) (HIP 17694 B 7 F 17.9523 // -96.7690 is closer, but the in-system distance is longer). Thargoid XXX appear on scanner when you get close. While you are on-site watch out for Thargoid Uplink Devices (they are often inside the central structure, but you can scan them from outside). If you scan the Uplink (with your Data Link Scanner in the SRV) then you will get a waypoint to navigate back to the base next time.
    • Notes
      • Thargoid XXX show up on your scanner once you are within 700m of them especially once you have taken the mission.
      • Thargoid XXX show up outside more often on Inactive sites (white on the map)
      • As this method does not require you to keep a TS in the SRV you can scoop twice as fast
  • Another option is to visit the Thargoid Scout in HIP 17125 - this has lots of Thargoid XXX lying around, though you may need to relog to get what you need.
    • Thargoid Scout can be found in HIP 17125 A 3 a at -65.8228, 48.8618
    • To find it more easily on next visit you need to scan it - which can be tricky
  • If you do have a TS / TP or TL (or are willing to get one) you can do this, but the previous ways are easier:
    • You will need a Thargoid Sensor (TS) / Thargoid Probe (TP) or Thargoid Link (TL) to open the site. You only need one, not all three!. Note that these are corrosive and will damage your ship! TS is recommended as they are easiest to find. Info in spoiler if you need one
      • To find a TS: Easiest to find at the alien crash sites (which are not the same as the wreck sites!) Search First Page of the Canonn thread for 'Alien Wreck' or go to HIP 17403 Planet A 4 A Coord: -34.9821 / -141.4141. Alien Wreck markers are bugged so don't bother trying to follow them to the wreck. TS can also be found floating in space (see First Page for locations).
      • To find a TP: Seriously, use a TS instead, but if you insist:
        Easiest way is to find one in a Hon Human Signal Source (NHSS). Go to Electra, drop into NHSS until you get one witn only a Probe - scoop it. Otherwise you need an ammonia world from particular locations - here - look for Degraded Emission [Threat 2] USS around it. Get to the distance in the 5th column, go to speed between 210 & 350 km/s (see this post) and wait (maintaining distance approximately) - will probably take at least 30 mins to spawn (other similar methods here, here and here). There has been speculation that wide angle scanners help. But probably not.
      • To find an UL: Thargoid Links (TL) are available only inside the place you are heading, so if you haven't got one already you need a TS
      • There may be more up-to-date locations for TS / TP on the front page of the threadnaught
      • TS and TP can be easily found in NHSS (Non-Human Signal Sources) found in systems near Merope. Watch out for the Thargoids as they don't like people taking their stuff.
    • You can find Thargoid XXX at Active Unknown Structures (US) Thargoid sites around Merope - see https://map.canonn.technology/us/ - you need an ACTIVE (red on map) site! Nearest is PLEIADES SECTOR OD-S B4-1 Planet 2 A Coords 62.8175 // 137.8808 (US193)
    • Land near the centre (example thanks to Delmonte)
      Pm3EyQC.jpg
      , put the UA or UP (or UL) in the SRV and head inside (the object opens the doors. If the door doesn't open you are either in the wrong place on the site or you are not at an active site or you forgot to put the TS/TP/TL in your SRV). (Also check artigan99's video (above) as this clearly shows where you need to go)
    • You should see Thargoid XXX which you can take back to your ship. Remember you need to keep the TS / TP with you or the doors will not open.
    • While you are on-site watch out for Thargoid Uplink Devices (they are often inside the central structure, but you can scan them from outside). If you scan the Uplink (with your Data Link Scanner in the SRV) then you will get a waypoint to navigate back to the base next time.
  • Note there are several different types of Thargoid XXX items on site, Palin will ask for one of them, only take back the ones he asked for. (Probably easiest to relog to get more, more RP-correct to visit another site - you decide. There should be enough to collect all you need without relogging). It might be worth collecting everything, as you can re-do the mission and may get requests for the other items - but remember they will corrode your ship!
  • Expect interdictions in Maia, the thargoid goods seem to attract pirates
  • Though the Thargoid XXX are illegal at Obsidian Orbital Maia is an anarchy, so you shouldn't get scanned
  • Hand in the mission in the Missions area, don't sell the items on the Black Market!
  • yes, you can redo the mission, just re-dock at Obsidian Orbital. Items, counts and return point appear random. You only need to get around 2km from Obsidian before you can request a redock.
  • Mission counts towards Trade rank, so provides an easy boost towards trade elite.

Last edited:
Plea for help/hanger on

In game: Cmdr Daerist, plays in Mobius. For RP reasons won't touch UA/UP's. But is curious to see what the Thargoids have left behind. Have gone to one of the sites (not had a look around yet) but would really like to be there when one gets activated. Am not doing the Palin mission (haven't unlocked Palin, for RP reasons), this plea is out of pure curiosity as a spectator. Am at the HIP 19026 B 1 C one, but can travel...

So, if anyone is planning to go and activate one of these here Thargoid sites, in Mobius, and is happy for me to tag along do please PM me here or in game. I am hoping to get on the PC sometime Sunday afternoon, else usually (in game timings) 6-730am weekday mornings next week.

Thanks for putting this together.

I do kind of wish Palin's offer was a little more competitive, but it could be worse.

Mission Reward
E7FAC6AC7B95D2CA1C2AAD687EAE03DA7B9255D1

Maia Point Black market
17677F2FD16A55B3083A72EC7B1E775B64B9377E
Perhaps the market will normalize after a while.

So, I tryed to get the mission with my main account and a secondary one without succeed.
I flew to Daniell's Progress and fitted a cargo rack (4t) and a SRV, returned to Obsidian Orbital and then, the mission spawned.

Seems that if you are not properly equiped, the mission doesn't spawn.

Be cautious if going in an unarmed ship. I took my JumpaConda down, picked up 9 unknown items, headed back to Maia thinking I could hopefully do several missions in one hit. Thing is it sends you to Maia Point 1.2 ls away to deliver the next mission. Ships are sent after you and interdict you... I ended up dumping the extra unknowns on the black market at OA so only completed two missions.

PS I dropped a UA at hip 14909 in open.

Last edited:
The op mentions :

• The Unknown XXX are illegal at Obsidian Orbital - either smuggle them in (avoid scans) or expect a large fine, which will wipe out a lot of your profit

I'm not sure this is accurate. Has anyone every seen authority ships outside Obsidian (Maia is Anarchy still, right?)?

Testing shortly.
\\///
Oo?
o
Spike.K

The op mentions :

• The Unknown XXX are illegal at Obsidian Orbital - either smuggle them in (avoid scans) or expect a large fine, which will wipe out a lot of your profit

I'm not sure this is accurate. Has anyone every seen authority ships outside Obsidian (Maia is Anarchy still, right?)?

Testing shortly.
\\///
Oo?
o
Spike.K

Not all missions go back to obsidian, but if it's an anarchy I guess target in system makes no difference. Report back - could have been reported by someone theorycrafting [up]

Excellent[up][up]:D:D
TY for posting this info, walkthrus are most welcome, even if it's just to check things are proceeding as intended.

Palin Mission: from Obsidian Orbital in Maia

First reported by ReaperSpace (here)

"Got a mission from Palin when i docked with my python to Obsidian Orbital in Maia...
its a fetch mission asking 4 units of unkown tech samples (where do i even get that?) "

http://i.imgur.com/8bY7ijH.png
http://i.imgur.com/7sTiyHn.png

Video guide from artigan99 : https://youtu.be/WpnCXEugdtY

• Get the mission by landing at Obsidian Orbital in Maia - it appears in your inbox (like the Ram Tah mission). Note that the amount required, reward, item to collect and destination can all vary! There are reports of CMDRs not being able to get the mission - leaving and re-entering system appears to fix this. . You do not need to have unlocked Palin as an engineer.
  • You will be asked to collect one of the below, referred to here as Unknown XXX:
    • Unknown Biological Samples
    • Unknown Resin
    • Unknown Tech samples
    • etc
  • You will ideally have Corrosion Resistant Cargo Racks (CRCR) - as many as you can fit (the items you are asked to collect are corrosive). You can get them from Professor Palin if you have him unlocked as he is in Maia. You could use AFMUs instead, but it is more risky.
  • If you don't have a UA / UP or UL:
    • Go to HIP 17694 B 7 F 17.9523 // -96.7690 - Unknown XXX should appear on scanner when you get close
    • Note: The Unknown XXX objects have been reported to lie around outside at the Thargoid sites (around the rib-like structures), so you may not need access to the main structure. However the sites are large and you might not find what you want this way - alternative is to get a UA to enter the main structure (see below).
    • Notes
      • Unknown XXX show up on your scanner once you are within 700m of them especially once you have taken the mission.
      • Unknown XXX show up outside more often on Inactive sites (white on the map)
      • as this method does not require you to keep a UA in the SRV you can scoop twice as fast
  • If you do have a UA / UP or UL (or are willing to get one)
    • You will need a UA or UP or UL to open the site. You only need one, not all three!. Note that these are corrosive and will damage your ship! UA is recommended as they are easiest to find. Info in spoiler if you need one
      • To find a UA: Easiest to find at the alien crash sites (which are not the same as the wreck sites!) Search First Page of the Canonn thread for 'Alien Wreck' or go to HIP 17403 Planet A 4 A Coord: -34.96 / -141.37. Alien Wreck markers are bugged so don't bother trying to follow them to the wreck. UA can also be found floating in space (see First Page for locations).
      • To find a UP: Seriously, use a UA instead, but if you insist:
        You need an ammonia world from particular locations - here - look for Degraded Emission [Threat 2] USS around it. Get to the distance in the 5th column, go to speed between 210 & 350 km/s (see this post) and wait (maintaining distance approximately) - will probably take at least 30 mins to spawn (other similar methods here, here and here). There has been speculation that wide angle scanners help. But probably not.
      • To find an UL: Unknown Links (UL) are available only inside the place you are heading, so if you haven't got one already you need a UA
      • There may be more up-to-date locations for UA / UP on the front page of the threadnaught
    • You can find Unknown XXX at Active Unknown Structures (US) Thargoid sites around Merope - see https://map.canonn.technology/us/ - you need an ACTIVE (red on map) site! Nearest is PLEIADES SECTOR OD-S B4-1 Planet 2 A Coords 62.8175 // 137.8808 (US193)
    • Land near the centre (example thanks to Delmonte) http://i.imgur.com/Pm3EyQC.jpg, put the UA or UP (or UL) in the SRV and head inside (the object opens the doors. If the door doesn't open you are either in the wrong place on the site or you are not at an active site). (Also check artigan99's video (above) as this clearly shows where you need to go)
    • You should see Unknown XXX which you can take back to your ship. Remember you need to keep the UA / UP with you or the doors will not open.
  • Note there are several different types of Unknown XXX items on site, Palin will ask for one of them, only take back the ones he asked for. (Probably easiest to relog to get more, more RP-correct to visit another site - you decide). It might be worth collecting everything, as you can re-do the mission and may get requests for the other items - but remember they will corrode your ship!
  • Expect interdictions in Maia, the unknown goods seem to attract pirates
  • yes, you can redo the mission, just redock at Obsidian Orbital. Items, counts and return point appear random.

This is almost impossible to comprehend

AMFU, UA, UP or UL?

What does this all mean?

It's a bit cryptic!!

It would be useful if someone would write in clear English what you are supposed to do for this mission

Cheers

This is almost impossible to comprehend

AMFU, UA, UP or UL?

What does this all mean?

It's a bit cryptic!!

It would be useful if someone would write in clear English what you are supposed to do for this mission

Cheers

Good points - I've added links / expansions for more terms as it was quite 'full on' and too jargon-y. Difficult to balance requirements to keep to a reasonable length and to explain everything.

If the first mission you get from him is failed, will it pop up again or is that it for these missions.

I ask because with only 10 minutes left to complete the mission, the game crashed on me on my way back to Obsidian Orbital (failed to connect to adjudication servers - or something). After I could finally play the game again 15 minutes later, I failed the mission, dumped the alien tech sample, and headed back to see if I could restart the mission from back at Obsidian.

So far, no joy.

I've tried leaving the station and redocking, leaving the system and jumping back in and then redocking, saving and exiting from the station and reloading, and saving and exiting at a station outside Maia and reloading and going back.

Am I as screwed as I think I am?

Sorry for the double post but I couldn't find an edit post option...

Nevermind. As soon as I cleared the failed mission from my transactions tab a new mission popped up. Looks like I tried everything except the bleeding obvious.

Got Palin mission at Obsidian as well, but hadn't unlocked Palin so was unable to procure corrosion resistant cargo hold, so I ditched the mission. How does one unlock Palin? I have only unlocked two engineers so far, and received one invite. I'm not a fan of engineers, so Farseer is the only one I've bothered with since I mainly explore. Same with Ram Tah. No invite. No missions.

Got Palin mission at Obsidian as well, but hadn't unlocked Palin so was unable to procure corrosion resistant cargo hold, so I ditched the mission. How does one unlock Palin?

As per https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers Palin is unlocked via Martuuk and Qwent - lots of work if you are not interested, but you do not need CRCR for this mission, just don't hang around too long with the artefacts and you should be fine. Palin requires you to travel 5K Ly to unlock, so he is an explorer engineer (thruster mods are useful if you want to undersize your thrusters to save weight)

Same with Ram Tah. No invite. No missions.

Ram does not require you to unlock him to get the Ancient Ruins mission - you don't even have to visit his base - see second link in my sig for more if you do want to follow that mission.

After spending a fair amount of time trading on rares with my Type 6, I got my hands on the ASPx, fitted it, and decided to head out to that "cool looking nebula" not that far away. As luck would have it, I plotted a course to Maia (not even knowing there was a station -or a black hole for that matter- there). Anyway, after docking and heading back out, I noticed the message offering this mission. I spent a good number of hours hopping from planet to planet in the 3 sub-systems thinking the resource would pop up at some point... nothing, not even the blue areas of interest. After a while, I decided to do some research and stumbled into this thread, which, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. But all this leads me to a single question: How the heck are we supposed to figure this stuff up in the day or so of mission availability time? Is all of this learnt by exhaustively going through the GALNET reports? I don't much like having to jump out of the game and into the real world to figure this stuff up :( but I am thinking maybe I am missing something?

Top Bottom