Parallel projection... pimax 5k

I just noticed this thread on the Pimax forums. Apparently SteamVR is the culprit! Some users have been able to launch ED directly from Pitool which bypasses SteamVR and the image is correct with Parallel Proj. turned off. However, because this is done by executing ED using OVR_Launcher, it negates the Frontier user login which causes ED to want to exit. Surely there is a simple fix for this!

I just noticed this thread on the Pimax forums. Apparently SteamVR is the culprit! Some users have been able to launch ED directly from Pitool which bypasses SteamVR and the image is correct with Parallel Proj. turned off. However, because this is done by executing ED using OVR_Launcher, it negates the Frontier user login which causes ED to want to exit. Surely there is a simple fix for this!

Bump. Frontier, please confirm if it is possible to address this launcher issue, thanks (y)

The 2nd gen 8K+ and 8KX headsets are now imminent, and eliminating the performance hit of PP would be a significant improvement.

I found this topic helpful, I got a decent and reliable performance boost balanced with very good visuals, which is a much better trade off than I had previously managed myself.

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/best-quality-settings-for-steamvr-ive-found/22614

Basic idea: "Problem is when you upsample x1.9 or x2.1 for example, you will have MUCH blurrier picture. When u upsample EXACTLY x2 u have clear picture and much less artefacts."

Requires manual settings in your personal SteamVR config (don't confuse with the default which will be overwritten with updates), so I put a steplist for the 5k+ here:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/best-quality-settings-for-steamvr-ive-found/22614/48?u=octofox

Hi Folks,

Some disappointing information from the new thread about the public beta for the January update.

The thread is here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/january-update-beta-announcement.530478/

But the bad news is that there are no plans to do anything about PP

We also wanted to give you an update on the following issue: VR: Double Vision and Incorrect Rendering on HMDs with Non-Parallel Displays (ex. Pimax). At the current time, there are no plans to provide support for new HMDs outside the officially supported systems and platforms. The officially supported platforms are Valve Index, HTC Vive and Oculus.

I'm now starting to worry about FD's commitment to VR for the future.
Will the next BIG paid for update at the end of 2020 even have VR capability ?

I think it speaks more of Pimax as a manufacturer being around in 2020 than it does of FDev spending resources on supporting it. Not that I think they won't be, but because the "big" manufacturers are the ones everyone follows, not Pimax. It's just a safer bet/lower risk when they're building out the "new era".
And yes, I think VR will continue to be supported.

Hi Folks,

Some disappointing information from the new thread about the public beta for the January update.

The thread is here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/january-update-beta-announcement.530478/

But the bad news is that there are no plans to do anything about PP

I'm now starting to worry about FD's commitment to VR for the future.
Will the next BIG paid for update at the end of 2020 even have VR capability ?

How disappointing.

I at least hope the 2020 update actually has some real gameplay mechanic improvements and appropriate content. Elite has gone from being one of my all time favourites to gathering increasing dust :( Currently everything has been far too simplistic and repetitive for years, and most updates which promised to improve on this have been disappointments. Thargoids are the best of a bad bunch. The Guardians are a pretty poor mess. I do hope they continue to fully support the game, or factor in these things for a sequel, because none of their other games have any appeal to me.

That is disappointing - I wonder what the reason is....maybe the COBRA renderer is not capable of supporting the canted display feature without breaking other stuff or re-writing most of it?

So to keep moving with this topic:
You can extract your login token using a script so that elite can be started straight from a customized shortcut to bypass the launcher.

Starting elite from within pitool renders at least the starting screen without need for PP but since it hasnt gone through the launcher/is missing the login token Elite doesnt log in correctly, is there a way to get that login token passed through pitool?

Here is a link to the post linking to what ive tried without success this far:
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/elite-dangerous-pimax-request-for-collaboration/15590/41

As i note in the post, it might be solved by someone that has a good grasp on json files but it might also be a lot more involved than that.

ADDITION: Running though pitool seems to launch the oculus/revive version so there might be PP built in but we cant test the performance without figuring out how to start it correctly.

ADDITION2: i havnt tried the stand alone training missions thingie, if that doesnt need logging in it might be possible to start it using this method to test performance and figure out of this is worth pursuing further.

Last edited:
Top Bottom