Pay2Win made it to Elite

Just curious ... why so? Can't get my head round why is so important that some other player will have zero rebuy for lets say average ship build at best.
I'm spitballing here, but it would make matters very easy for gankers preying on new CMDRs. Experienced pilots in such ships against newbies... no contest, and even if they get destroyed by, say, ATR (or other CMDRs), they lose nuffin'. Similarly, Power Play would be cheap for anybody so equipped, with a much lower financial risk. (Personally, I think anybody seriously involved in this game has money coming out of all orifices, and does not need to resort to this, but, hey...)

Elite Dangerous is a game that takes a lot of time for new players to learn and get into. There are people out there with kids and careers and maybe 1 or 2 hours a week to spend playing a game. They have a lot of money because they went to school and became high earners, but many of them don't have 6 hours a day to spend on a game. This kind of thing is for them. They can spend a trivial amount of money for them, to get a modest ship and it saves them a bunch of time. They can go shoot up some aliens right away.

Otherwise, these sorts of people with demanding lives might not ever play games like Elite that take many hours to progress. I don't see it as a game breaker, as long as they are mid -tier or less.

Out of curiosity, would hardcore players care so much if they could buy a ship for credits and then sell it for real cash to other players. Suppose you could make an extra 300-500 a week selling mid-tier ships to rich people that can only play 2 hours a week? Would that be offensive?

I'm spitballing here, but it would make matters very easy for gankers preying on new CMDRs. Experienced pilots in such ships against newbies... no contest, and even if they get destroyed by, say, ATR (or other CMDRs), they lose nuffin'. Similarly, Power Play would be cheap for anybody so equipped, with a much lower financial risk. (Personally, I think anybody seriously involved in this game has money coming out of all orifices, and does not need to resort to this, but, hey...)
A zero-rebuy ship would also be very useful for flying around Deciat updating your block list.

What happened to the idea of consequences in a 'Dangerous' galaxy?
That little bird flew the coop a long time back...

What is the issue with zero rebuy? From where I'm standing it seems a great idea, and I've been playing for 7 years, so "been there, done that" to get a fleet of engineered ships, FC and a billion in the bank.

How would it affect your play directly?

Is this zero rebuy really the way its going to work, I did skim the thread so may have missed it, or is it speculation?
Because if there's zero excess on the insurance for ships paid for with real funds, then there needs to be zero excess for all, except this would remove one of the major risks in the game, something I battled with for a very long time, having limited time to play, I barely had enough banked for a couple of rebuys for my conda, which added extra strategy depending on the tasks at hand, whether to use a small cheap ship or that.

I realise, its not so bad when you have a considerable pot of credits, but that takes time and dedication.
No more will there be a saying of "Never fly without rebuy"

Edit: Either way, I'm kind of over the rebuy :D Getting blown up and respawning away from your last location was punishment enough :D

Last edited:
Elite Dangerous is a game that takes a lot of time for new players to learn and get into. There are people out there with kids and careers and maybe 1 or 2 hours a week to spend playing a game. They have a lot of money because they went to school and became high earners, but many of them don't have 6 hours a day to spend on a game. This kind of thing is for them. They can spend a trivial amount of money for them, to get a modest ship and it saves them a bunch of time. They can go shoot up some aliens right away.

Otherwise, these sorts of people with demanding lives might not ever play games like Elite that take many hours to progress. I don't see it as a game breaker, as long as they are mid -tier or less.

Out of curiosity, would hardcore players care so much if they could buy a ship for credits and then sell it for real cash to other players. Suppose you could make an extra 300-500 a week selling mid-tier ships to rich people that can only play 2 hours a week? Would that be offensive?
I'm such a man (almost fit). This means I will never spend a cent to speed up process. I play to play, and those 2-3 hours per day of actual playing is what I want in fact. I don't need any artificial boost because I will lose all the fun.
And this is possible because....there is NO progress in Elite. And we don't need it added in fact.
Everything in your post has no relation to the Elite.

What is the issue with zero rebuy? From where I'm standing it seems a great idea, and I've been playing for 7 years, so "been there, done that" to get a fleet of engineered ships, FC and a billion in the bank.

How on Earth (or in space) can you say "What's the issue with zero rebuy?" It's effectively paying to circumvent a major game mechanic.
If you've got an engineered fleet, billions in the bank etc. then that's an argument for increasing rebuy, not getting rid of it.
And I see people are still using the 'how does that affect your gameplay?' argument to justify every naff decision round here.

Tell you what, I'll accept P2W and zero rebuy on one condition - Frontier also remove the hollow triangle icon denoting players on the scanner and make PCs indistinguishable from NPCs without a scan.

And I see people are still using the 'how does that affect your gameplay?
Well, it doesn't affect your own gameplay, apart from, maybe, the other player isn't losing anything.
Frontier also remove the hollow triangle icon denoting players on the scanner and make PCs indistinguishable from NPCs without a scan.
Uh-huh...

Sorry, I'm chuckling too much to make any kind of sensible response.

Well ...it would be cumulative effect. Eventually everybody will try to have "zero-rebuy" ships, even poorest people will find a way to get one, as it will be BIS. Saw that in many games.
But as for our situation, I saw they will sell "allowance to buy it early for credits", not the ships itself.

Well, it doesn't affect your own gameplay, apart from, maybe, the other player isn't losing anything.

Uh-huh...

Sorry, I'm chuckling too much to make any kind of sensible response.
In the first sentence, you answered your own question - 'the other player isn't losing anything' which, of course affects behaviour and gameplay.
I've been trying to get some of my old squadron to come back to Elite seeing as Frontier seemed to be paying attention to the game again. The announcements over the past couple of days have been a nail in the coffin for that attempt unfortunately. Ah well...

Well what do you suggest? A broke player buys a premade ship for a substantial amount of real money, leaves the mail slot and blows up. He doesn't have the rebuy, so now the ship is gone, and so is the money. This screams not only trouble for the supporr staff, but potentially also legal trouble. The only solution to that issue is to have the premade ship have a value of 0 Cr.

... I've also been playing online games since 2002 for what it's worth.
I beat you by five years. Mwahahaha! :D

Back on topic...

Now, I'm not sure if I read or misread things, but I didn't see the pre-built ships being offered for RL cash or ARX (I realise I may well be mistaken here and happy to be corrected, please). However, what I'd like to see is being able to buy stuffs with in-game CR's. I'm sure there's a lot of players sitting on unspent billions who'd like a pre-built... thing...without going through the mat grind (again).

I may have missed something and it's getting late here so may be my bleary eyes and foggy brain have overlooked a huge amount of facts - and the thread is a TL;DR at this time of night.

Well what do you suggest? A broke player buys a premade ship for a substantial amount of real money, leaves the mail slot and blows up. He doesn't have the rebuy, so now the ship is gone, and so is the money. This screams not only trouble for the supporr staff, but potentially also legal trouble. The only solution to that issue is to have the premade ship have a value of 0 Cr.
Three solutions:
1) Don't sell ships for real world money. But the horse has bolted on that one, unfortunately.
2) Give the person a limited number of 'free' rebuys, or a grace period of a few days/weeks/a month to make cash using the ship, then have rebuys kick in.
3) Limit the areas the ships can be used in with unlimited rebuys, as per the new pilot training area. If you leave the area, rebuys kick in.

I grant that there are issues with both 2) and 3) regarding the AX ship as Thargoid hunting is inherently risky and on the periphery of the bubble. Hence why I'd suggest the preferred option would be to make the unlimited rebuys a time limited thing.

Edit 4) If you feel you've lost your purchased ship unfairly, allow a support ticket to be put in and a case made for the ship to be returned - which covers the Star Citizen issue of a bug causing goods to be lost.

Last edited:
Way to many people defending this .. you get what you deserve elite community... Dont forget you have to buy the base game and expansion and there was cosmetics only . Now you get this ..ships and engeneered parts dor real money ... You deserve this ed community and you deserve alot worse .

Top Bottom