Pay2Win made it to Elite

That would be hilarious. A non-Elite CMDR buying their way into ShinDez.
Cost just £5 to get the ShinDez permit in the Kickstarter, so 10,000 ARX allowing for inflation would be about equivalent. For £85 you could have it be your starter system, too.

I'm sure there's still a few accounts out there from those days which have been used sufficiently little (or reset sufficiently recently) that they can get in without being Elite at anything.

Cost just £5 to get the ShinDez permit in the Kickstarter, so 10,000 ARX allowing for inflation would be about equivalent. For £85 you could have it be your starter system, too.

I'm sure there's still a few accounts out there from those days which have been used sufficiently little (or reset sufficiently recently) that they can get in without being Elite at anything.
And I mean, come on, it's not like anyone that would "welcome" you to ShinDez is checking anything before opening fire :D

Personally I vastly prefer this to the game being put into maintenance mode, or the servers being shut off. I like playing the game and I will be very unhappy when it shuts down.
"the servers being shut off" is a very short way of saying that either Frontier is going to open the game up to modding, 3rd party servers and offline play so it doesn't die, or independent developers and hackers are going to pick the game up and do it for them. If people can break world-class DRM, Elite Dangerous will live on post-shutdown.

Either option is infinitely better than Elite Dangerous becoming a triple-A glorified mobile game whose reasons for being kept online diminish.

Last edited:
What's going to be even more hilarious is all these Youtubers spitting their dummy's out and raging at Fdev, guarantee they will be flying the Python 2 on day one.
Hypocrites :ROFLMAO:

O7
Well, some of them will likely proclaim to be outraged, flying the Python 2 only, of course, to show how bad it is for the game. (Snickers) ;)

(To clarify: I understand, and take seriously, the concern of other players. Youtubers and influencers, however, are another kettle of ... fishy creatures. I have a hard time taking anybody's concerns seriously who is making a living off doing a video about it.)

Lovely, soon we'll see "1 Billion Credits", "No Carrier Upkeep" and "Shinrarta Dezhra system permit" up for purchase with ARX.
You'll never make a corpo exec. "We've listened to players, we will now charge arx for FCs to park in certain locations..." :p

Whatever imaginary game Elite turns into after FDev spends all the megabucks from selling P2W arx stuff in the store on updating Elite (instead of new creative management sims or licensed IP games) will be a better Elite game, but with P2W features.
There are people that think the money from this is going to developing ED? 😂

It's one thing to have gotten the permit by helping make the game exist back when it was an obscure-ish continuation of a long-dormant franchise mostly known for its 1984 title. It'd be another thing if it went up for sale now, permanently, especially considering that Dezhra is considered a lot more important now than it was in pre-2014 when it didn't exist.

As an explorer only this pay to succeed doesn't bother me at all........
..... unless Frontier bought out the old honk system that laid out the system and the DSS to scan them all quickly then it's 'take my money now'!

Well, some of them will likely proclaim to be outraged, flying the Python 2 only, of course, to show how bad it is for the game. (Snickers) ;)

(To clarify: I understand, and take seriously, the concern of other players. Youtubers and influencers, however, are another kettle of ... fishy creatures. I have a hard time taking anybody's concerns seriously who is making a living off doing a video about it.)

And FDev makes a living from Elite Dangerous, so they can't be taken seriously either!

/sarcasm

Once upon a time it was Star Citizen degenerates that would immediately counter the argument of Pay to Win with "well what do you win exactly?🤓☝️".

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

To those defending this decision of FDev milking every last penny out of a dying game is not only disappointing, it is also disrespectful to the amount of hard work and passion that had been poured into this game during its initial development. Imagine the opinions of some of the initial developers of this game, some of whom are sadly no longer with us, seeing that in Elite Dangerous' twilight years, instead of celebrating what made the game so great they instead try and squeeze every last drop of money through the introduction of awful Pay to Win monetisation. Its commercial corporate nonsense and not something that is remotely appropriate for an initially CROWD FUNDED game. It destroys the legacy and the history of this game as it will be forever tarnished in the memories of everyone. I'd be embarrassed and ashamed to be seen defending this
I won't buy those ships, not only because I don't want to, but because my older accounts have all the necessary mats and methods unlocked and can create better builds. But I dislike this development because I don't see these two ships, I see the ones following. I think FDev are testing the waters and I fear of what's coming.

Wanna offer shortcuts? make them with in game credits, not real money. Let us trade all materials, enhance the FC markets, lower the inter-category material traders ratios, offer more mats at HGEs to skip relogs.

That would be hilarious. A non-Elite CMDR buying their way into ShinDez. I'm sure they'd receive a warm welcome from all the Elite CMDRs, especially the ones who earned their first Elite rank in Combat.

My CMDR started with a Shinrarta permit and spent a lot more time there before he had any Elite ranks than after. Didn't hit Elite in Combat (my first Elite rank), until about 3k hours into the game; my main focus in the early game was PvP and PvP was a poor way to rank up. I only really fought NPCs for basic practice and to get the minimum number of credits I needed for the ships I was using...at least until Engineers made murdering non-PF members for ship parts essentially mandatory. Can't just go to Auto Zone for a new head gasket or timing belt, you have to run some poor family off the road, shoot their vehicle full of holes, and then strip the parts you need from what's left. Service in the Fedperial Navies made my CMDR an amoral opportunist, murderer, smuggler, and slave trader, but Engineering turned him into a flying genocide.

What's going to be even more hilarious is all these Youtubers spitting their dummy's out and raging at Fdev, guarantee they will be flying the Python 2 on day one.
Hypocrites

O7

Entertaining maybe, but their hypocrisy isn't an argument that they're wrong.

There are also people who have never paid for Arx who are sitting on more than 16.5k Arx. I'm not one of them--I was under the impression that Arx would only be for 'cosmetics', so was never particularly adverse to spending what trickled in--and it's doubful that I'm going to be playing consistently enough to make up the difference before the ship releases to all Odyssey players. It will be nice to have some early feedback on the ship.

How is the game supposed to be? I thought it was "Blaze your own trail"?

The game is supposed to be a multi-player only shared environment, and doesn't even offer the possibility to wholly separate one's game from others, aside from the training/tutorials.

'Blaze your own trail' has always been fundamentally limited by this. There are constraints that are impossible to bypass, some of which are imposed by the collective actions of other players. For example, I cannot roll the game's clock back to 3300 and refight the Eranin or Lugh conflicts, cannot (at least not yet) just arbitrarily give my CMDR whatever assets I want him to have, an cannot just erase the names of hundreds of context defying PMFs from the galaxy map.

That blaze your own trail stuff can only be taken to it's logical conclusions in a privately run game, something Elite: Dangerous has never been.

Last edited:
Top Bottom