Pay2Win made it to Elite

I am not against them selling for zero credits. That's fine, because the alternative creates a loophole to buy credits for real money.
What would be the problem with being able to buy credits for real money anyway?
Especially at the exchange rate you could possibly achieve by selling the pre-built Chieftain.

What would be the price of the Chief again? 16000 ARX? That's like 10 euros.
What would be the sell price of the ship? Mine is about 80M credits, but that's a meta interceptor killer, the pre-built ship would be most probably cheaper. Let's say 60M.

So you could get ~60M Cr for 10 euros. That's close to 1000 euros for a fleet carrier. That absolutely does not sound like the deal of the century, you must be either filthy rich or literally braindead level of stupid to be willing to spend that much money for irrelevant pixels in a 10 year old game. :)

How is that build mediocre?
If we compare the AX Chief to what ship, makes it mediocre to you? Keep in mind we talk about a newb that does not have many things unlocked?

Is it mediocre if we compare it to the starter Sidewinder? To an Adder?
Let me tell you, that build is better than my first Scout ship, a Crusader
I got to thinking and the prefab AX ship would be nice to have for even a veteran player that isn't into AX combat but wants to learn and join in the fight. It will still explode but then you aren't wasting credits to just practice getting gud. The load out is just good enough to take some shots and learn when to run away especially with the G5 dd. I couldn't tell you how many credits I've spent on re-buys taking on the bugs.

What would be the sell price of the ship? Mine is about 80M credits, but that's a meta interceptor killer, the pre-built ship would be most probably cheaper. Let's say 60M.

The Credits value of the AX Prebuilt Chief is under 20 millions

This is the build in EDSY - but besides that value, the build has G5 DD 6A Thrusters, 2 small gausses with RamTah Guardian Field Protection
So the build is including some engineering and some unlocks

he load out is just good enough to take some shots and learn when to run away especially with the G5 dd

Definitely - it's quite similar to the Crusader i used to learn how to kill Scouts - that ship also had turreted ax mc (to actually get some kills) and small gausses - to learn how to use fixed weapons with delayed fire

But, i would still build it myself since i already have everything unlocked - i wont spend cash on it, but sure, it can be a convenience to just buy it and save me a day of building the ship (however, i do like to build ships so it wont inconvenient me at all to actually build the ship)

If we compare the AX Chief to what ship, makes it mediocre to you? Keep in mind we talk about a newb that does not have many things unlocked?

I'm not going to get hung up on an argument about whether the build is mediocre or not. To an established player who doesn't even begin making a build until they have the materials to G5 everything? It is garbage. To a new player with nothing to their name? It is god-tier. It's subjective and wholly dependent upon an individual's outlook, establishment, and playstyle.

The argument I have is that a player will not be able to find out if they prefer, for example, going with a hull tank build by replacing the bi-weave with a hull reinforcement, without literally throwing away an item they paid cash for.

I'm pretty sure your first Scout ship was at least not trying to use a Nanite torp launcher. :)

Main problem with that ship is that whoever built it, apparently had no idea what kind of AX ship they were trying to build.
If it's a Scout ship, what's the point of the Nanite torp? If it's an Interceptor build, one Gauss is not going to be enough and the 2 AX multicannons (let alone the Nanite) will not be able to make up for that. If it's supposed to be a Titan build, the single Gauss will be as good as dead weight. Not to mention the c1 repair limpet and the unengineered beam which make literally zero sense in all of the above cases.

And it's not even a good starter build for letting the user experiment with builds, because no matter what kind of AX combat they will want to try, they'll be losing the modules they'll have to change in order to build a specialized version of the ship (for Titans, Interceptors or Scouts).

Edit: sorry, just realized it's two c1 Gauss cannons, not a single c2. Not that it really matters. :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure your first Scout ship was at least not trying to use a Nanite torp launcher. :)

nope, but it had a beam too and they were very efficient, honestly - g5 efficient 😂
It actually had a flak in the medium slot which is as useless for scouts as is the nanite torp

Main problem with that ship is that whoever built it, apparently had no idea what kind of AX ship they were trying to build.

i'd say it provides a variety of tools that allows even a visit to the titans - doesnt matter how long it survives there - 0 rebuy

Last edited:
Lovely, soon we'll see "1 Billion Credits", "No Carrier Upkeep" and "Shinrarta Dezhra system permit" up for purchase with ARX.
I certainly hope not. But once a company starts the Pay 2 Win, Pay 2 Skip, Pay 2 unlock, etc., no one knows where it will stop. Not to mention anyone who does buy ARX ships with real cash, here is to hoping Fdev uses that $$$ for the ED universe.

To an established player who doesn't even begin making a build until they have the materials to G5 everything? It is garbage

Precisely.
However, someone, even a vet, that has everything unlocked, but not much time to build ships, they may still find it convenient to just buy the ship

o a new player with nothing to their name? It is god-tier.

Absolutely. I do think the new players are the target of the pre-built ships

I'm definitely NOT the target!

I'd rather see the game shut down for good instead of going P2W or even F2P in the future. And it's best the company dies with it. It's blunders over the past 5 years have lead to this point, and the talented devs deserve a place to work elsewhere. If FDEV can turn the ship around without P2W, fine, if not, closure time.
While I can understand and empathize with the sentiment that P2W is a scourge, unfair, and should never be in ED, I really think that all this is a storm in a teacup.

Personally I vastly prefer this to the game being put into maintenance mode, or the servers being shut off. I like playing the game and I will be very unhappy when it shuts down.

Absolutely. I do think the new players are the target of the pre-built ships
But what about the ~natural progression~

I remember several guides or top 10 tips videos on Elite stating that the early game is the most fun part because of how broken the late game economy where credits don't matter gets and how the feeling of just scraping by and doing missions to afford a module or two is more fun than just buying a fully kitted out ship instantly. The suggestion was also to not help out new players with cash for that reason until much later.

Is this for people who want to pay to make the game experience worse for themselves?

I think at whatever angle you look at it it's a bad product that's presented poorly and breaks the taboo of no P2W microtransactions in Elite and incurs the reputation hit that comes with it.

Top Bottom