Pay2Win made it to Elite

The meta grinds just make the whole experience worse in every way. To be honest, I take that approach into most games, and have more fun with suboptimal setups than any meta build normally offers.
I won't disagree!
I built a META FDL once... Sadly the pilot is anything but META, so I stuffed 5 multis and a Bi-Weave on it and chuckled my way through Med CZs in it. I'm not one of the 'great' games players, don't mind admitting it, but, as long as I'm enjoying my time playing, I'm content.

Now waiting impatiently for next week and seeing how many rebuys I can get playing around with the P2... Hmm, I only have a few hundred million in my back pocket (FC has more, but it is upkeep funding) so I may have to do some play that earns credits in the coming week, just in case! 🥳

I won't disagree!
I built a META FDL once... Sadly the pilot is anything but META, so I stuffed 5 multis and a Bi-Weave on it and chuckled my way through Med CZs in it. I'm not one of the 'great' games players, don't mind admitting it, but, as long as I'm enjoying my time playing, I'm content.

Now waiting impatiently for next week and seeing how many rebuys I can get playing around with the P2... Hmm, I only have a few hundred million in my back pocket (FC has more, but it is upkeep funding) so I may have to do some play that earns credits in the coming week, just in case! 🥳
That's funny, exactly the same has happened to my FDL. (The multis have gimbals).

No one needs a Metalance for PvE. I run two medium short range vent beams, one medium high cap corrosive multicannon, one sturdy cascade hammer and one huge short range autoloader multicannon.

I won't disagree!

That's funny, exactly the same has happened to my FDL. (The multis have gimbals).
My FdLs have a similar load out though neither of them have been sullied with fixed weapons.
One is all multicannons the other all lasers (a mix of pulse and beam).

And no they aren’t all gimballed.

What would monetized carriers have changed with the overcrowding? Nothing.
Possibly, but this would be a success for the company. As it is, we got the crowding for no benefit at all.

Edit: LEP holders were the issue I overlooked in my earlier argument. Contracta servanta sunt. And you learn from that how binding oneself for a lifetime -will- become a burden, no matter how great a sales pitch it was at first. Although in this case I fail to see how it would cause damage to honour them, given that a) the group is closed to further growth, and b) the number of likely sales from this group would certainly be dwarfed by the number of seriously angered clients.

Last edited:
Note, i am still not a fan of buying improved ships for money on the store however i have to admit........... whilst the specs of the ships may not be all that for seasoned players, the ship kits on them look great imo.
Personally tho for me i have no affinity for cosmetics that i buy in store, i only really take an interest if earned in game. I think the way FD could get me to consider dipping my hand in my pocket would actually be to go at it from the other way.

it is unlikely i will spend any more money on elite and will make do with arx earned in game.......... BUT if i could buy a 1 off pass, which then added an extra layer to the game where each faction in a system had their own either ship kit or paint job for a certain ship, which was awarded to you after becoming allied with them and doing a certain number of missions for them (maybe a nice long chain mission albeit not expecting anything not already in the game mechanically)

then i would be seriously tempted to buy that.
The kits and skins would all be ones already in the store, and would only be for 1 ship (i expect they could use variant of the procedural calculation to assign the kits / paints and ship so imperial systems get kits for imperial ships, pirate bases get the piraty kits etc, and if i wanted a specific ship with a specific kit i would have to find the correct faction in the game offering it and then work with them, i could then take that ship to another system if i wanted to earn that systems faction colours..
the store would continue to sell as is for those who just want to buy a kit and paint with no faffing.

The snag would be what would they charge for it?.......... on average i wonder how much the average elite player is expected to pay for cosmetics in the game? because personally i may stretch for £15 or even £20 for such a pass....................... that would be the max.
then as a cherry on the cake if you have a fleet carrier there could be a wall in your commanders office with a cabinet full of models of the ships with the skins you own in there.

I could spend hrs just trying to collect as many as i could. Gamey, perhaps but it is a game, and i would enjoy doing this much more than material gathering.

would such a pass cover the lost money from the whales who spend £100s on cosmetics in a game? i dunno.

Last edited:
FDev have just closed the thread satirising this one because it is "a duplicate." I didn't even know meta-satire existed until now.
If that is the one speaking for "the community", it is deserved, I'm all for the individual airing their own views, but rail at someone speaking for me without my express permission.

ETA: (but it did make fun reading!)

Last edited:
Not reading 58 pages of comments but surely someone pointed it out:

OP, it seems you have no idea what P2W means and you use it in wrong context.
It may have been mentioned a few dozen times, by various posters.
As I have no idea what P2W might mean in the context of buying ships in this game (where there is nothing to win, apparently) I'm unable to give an informed comment - but have made a few when it has been suggested by one that others should not buy for whatever reasoning they select.

Top Bottom