Perhaps it's time to stop pinging Sally for every little thing

But if you went to the complaints department of a small chain of restaurants for example and said "this one restaurant took too long to get my food, I can see you have x employees in your company it should be enough, I think you need to hire more chefs". Not really sure that's a genuine complaint.
And I as you might have guessed would believe that it is. But that as you point out is hardly the matter at hand. Also no pings were involved in that.

View attachment 262594
The problem with that though is most of the people who would complain now feel its futile and stopped coming to this forum.
I think we're in danger of the discussion moving away from the original issues here - although I cited an example from a former role I had as a complaints manager, the point I was making wasn't specifically about complaints but about repeatedly asking the same question.

To be honest, most of the things I see CMs get pinged for on the forum are things I'd never dream of doing it for to begin with and I think that's the real issue here.

I also recall another poster in one of the other threads pinging Sally asking for an update on the progress of Odyssey on Console as nothing had been mentioned for the last 10 days...
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I mean what, they aren't going to tell us when a release date is known? But some people can't just sit and wait, they have to be constantly pestering - it doesn't make them seem like 'bigger fans' of the game or something, it just makes them look needy, entitled and irritating.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I mean what, they aren't going to tell us when a release date is known? But some people can't just sit and wait, they have to be constantly pestering - it doesn't make them seem like 'bigger fans' of the game or something, it just makes them look needy, entitled and irritating.
Some people cannot handle incertainty at all. So they keep pestering for answers, would prefer any answer (even unreliable or downright false) over uncertainty and if that doesnt work either will simply make up an answer themselves. Its a personality trait on an axis, and some are just extreme in inability to deal with uncertainty.

If you look back on that discussion you will see that not only did I not ping the CM but was happy to disengage once we had both made our points.. It was a further reply to another user that the CM decided to pick up on and directly quote me on thus bringing me to answer them back.

I think we're in danger of the discussion moving away from the original issues here - although I cited an example from a former role I had as a complaints manager, the point I was making wasn't specifically about complaints but about repeatedly asking the same question.

To be honest, most of the things I see CMs get pinged for on the forum are things I'd never dream of doing it for to begin with and I think that's the real issue here.
Its like the Bat signal. You don't call out Batman for a blocked sink.

I think the only pings that are really justifiable are the ones in an ongoing threads on a topic that has gathered a number of participates who share an interest in the information and a CM's response can add to the thread.

Pinging like it's your own personal hotline to FDEV for whatever minor issue you may be facing is a little cringy IMO. When people start a thread and ping Sally in the OP, at least wait until it's gained traction a little, judge the reception and there may be a few more people who come aboard that may benefit.

Its like the Bat signal. You don't call out Batman for a blocked sink.
Indeed not, but no-one calls Sally out to fix their sink either.

Do they? :oops:

Surely Sally has a standard response for inappropriate communications like:

'Thanks for your message, sadly this is not an issue I can pursue or comment on.'

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Surely Sally has a standard response for inappropriate communications like:

'Thanks for your message, sadly this is not an issue I can pursue or comment on.'
Though if you respond to someone, regardless of what that response might be, you have established a two way conversation. A company I used to work for had that stance in place for all except a few areas of their business. So maybe it's just better to ignore those ones, but what if you are the sort of person who feels bad if they don't reply to someone? It's a trait I have to a degree, though more so out of here :)

If Frontier had planned to give and delivered nice Odyssey at launch, then this whole issue probably would never have occurred.
No it definitely would :)

So, no worse off then anyway :)

If Frontier had planned to give and delivered nice Odyssey at launch, then this whole issue probably would never have occurred.
But that's no excuse to dogpile or harass people who work at FDev. I remember a while back when Dr Kay Ross started getting harassed on Twitter about the planetary tech. And then people had the cheek to complain because she was blocking them.

But that's no excuse to dogpile or harass people who work at FDev. I remember a while back when Dr Kay Ross started getting harassed on Twitter about the planetary tech. And then people had the cheek to complain because she was blocking them.
Dr Kay is not a community manager, so not really an equivalence.

What would be far worse for Frontier is if no-one pings their representatives at all, no interest, no customers.

This is another thread where the community is characterised as a single entity. Frontier is a single entity and it's representatives and employees have to bear that in mind.

The community is a sprawling chaos of potentially conflicting interests that I have no intention of taking responsibility for. It's not the community that needs to change it's behaviour, it's the errant individuals within that blanket description.

Last edited:
Top Bottom