Pilots and Squadrons of the galaxy - we need YOU - 2HOT2MESSY is ON.

So i went to the Megaship Fisher's Rest in Aldebaran, which has a market, to fight the local populations MODS ... but it does not look as if even stationary megaships are tracked by 2HOT2MESSY using the Hutton Helper.
is that intentionally or due to technical limitations or an oversight?

DH3JMin.png
Megaships are a no go for mugging and ginning. Most are static but some move and it becomes a nightmare to track.

We are working on the assumption that they must be being restocked from real stations so will be safe sooner or later from the DEPRADATIONS of MODS.

If
  • you run the Hutton Helper in EDMC
  • you have registered and logged into the trucker's website
then that website will look like this (Azzie Elbub is my Bubble alt - and yes, I've been neglecting 2HOT2MESSY for a month now):

[...]
Thank you! That's super helpful. I'm working through what I need to do. I think I've got the website all sorted in my brain. I'm only having trouble with getting the EDMC plugin to work. I have it in the correct folder but EDMC doesn't detect it. I have two other plugins that are working fine but not HuttonHelper :( I'm on Linux so I don't know if that makes any difference.
EDIT: Hutton Helper "Lite" works but not "Full" so far. Although News just sits on "Loading News..."

Last edited:
Further to above, will the Hutton Helper Lite version work to update my 2 Hot 2 Messy stats? Or is the Full version plugin required for that?
Alternately I tried to use the Online Helper (https://hot.forthemug.com/online_helper) but it always shows as "Click the button below to sign into the frontier servers and allow us to grab your journal data" even after I clicked the button and linked my Frontier account (I've tried a few times, linking my Frontier account each time, over several days with no difference). If I go to the 2 Hot 2 Messy event page, each system says "x.xx ly from your location" however.

Am I getting muddled and doing something wrong or am I all good and just confused? TIA!! 🙏

Thank you! That's super helpful. I'm working through what I need to do. I think I've got the website all sorted in my brain. I'm only having trouble with getting the EDMC plugin to work. I have it in the correct folder but EDMC doesn't detect it. I have two other plugins that are working fine but not HuttonHelper :( I'm on Linux so I don't know if that makes any difference.
EDIT: Hutton Helper "Lite" works but not "Full" so far. Although News just sits on "Loading News..."
EDMC with the Hutton Helper plugin doesn't progress past the "Loading News..." state until approx. 1/2 to 1 minute after I have started my game fully. I also presume that you should not expect to see this change until the window also shows "Authentication successful" but I am not certain of this. I'm not aware of a good way to test that until the Auth expires or I try to remove the Auth permissions intentionally. (I didn't do that.)

EDMC HH plugin.jpg

EDMC with HH plugin when game
is at main menu.

EDMC HH plugin2.jpg

EDMC with HH plugin a "short time"
after loading the game fully

In terms of the Hutton Helper plugin not being detected by EDMC, do you know that EDMC will show you the correct folder where plugins should be placed?* (Files should be uncompressed.) Just double-checking since I don't have a good idea to suggest for why the plugin doesn't seem to be detected.
Actually- it's easy to disable any or all plugins in EDMC so I can suggest that you try that to see if the HH plugin then shows and/or works.*

In response to your question about the HH Lite plugin, I took a look at the Hutton Helper webpages. It certainly looks to me like the Lite plugin does update the stats that you achieve.

* this is found in EDMC by clicking File>Settings and selecting the Plugins tab. You can even use the OPEN button to launch the file explorer to the right folder (I have that ability in the Windows OS).
The TIP to disable plugins is shown here too.

EDIT:
I wonder if you might get more assistance in the EDMC forum. The dev seems VERY responsive to questions posted there.

Last edited:
EDMC with the Hutton Helper plugin doesn't progress past the "Loading News..." state until approx. 1/2 to 1 minute after I have started my game fully. I also presume that you should not expect to see this change until the window also shows "Authentication successful" but I am not certain of this. I'm not aware of a good way to test that until the Auth expires or I try to remove the Auth permissions intentionally. (I didn't do that.)

View attachment 327828
EDMC with HH plugin when game
is at main menu.

View attachment 327829
EDMC with HH plugin a "short time"
after loading the game fully

In terms of the Hutton Helper plugin not being detected by EDMC, do you know that EDMC will show you the correct folder where plugins should be placed?* (Files should be uncompressed.) Just double-checking since I don't have a good idea to suggest for why the plugin doesn't seem to be detected.
Actually- it's easy to disable any or all plugins in EDMC so I can suggest that you try that to see if the HH plugin then shows and/or works.*

In response to your question about the HH Lite plugin, I took a look at the Hutton Helper webpages. It certainly looks to me like the Lite plugin does update the stats that you achieve.

* this is found in EDMC by clicking File>Settings and selecting the Plugins tab. You can even use the OPEN button to launch the file explorer to the right folder (I have that ability in the Windows OS).
The TIP to disable plugins is shown here too.

EDIT:
I wonder if you might get more assistance in the EDMC forum. The dev seems VERY responsive to questions posted there.
Thanks for your help! :) Everything was correct and in the right place. My spouse (who does Python coding) was able to fix it. Here's the fix for anyone else on Linux:
Edit the plugin's toolbar.py file with a code editor app (e.g. nano, Gedit, Kate, Code, etc.) and change lines 24-28 to this:
Python:
HOT_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_hot.gif")
INF_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_inf.gif")
STATS_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_stats.gif")
RADIO_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_radio.gif")
PATREON_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_patreon.gif")
All that's needed is to change the \ (backslash) on each +"\icon_ to a / (forward slash) as above. \ is Windows file path and *Nix uses / :)

Now works all good. My spouse and I have delivered many mugs and gin today 🍻

In ED, you learn something new every day.
Yesterday, I tried to land at a small gardener somewhere.
"Docking request denied."
Huh?
"Largest pad too small."
Huh??
Checking Hutton Helper and the local map.
Ok. In Odyssey, there are ground bases that only have a single small pad :confused:

So, if I want to satisfy my OCD, I now have to either rebuild one of my small ships for cargo delivery - or build a new small cargo delivery ship from scratch. With the added challenge that I don't like to simply escape interdiction from those bounty carrying NPC pirates, so it has to be something with a bite. Looks like an can squeeze a size 4 rack into an otherwise decent Vulture. Might run a little hot, though.

In ED, you learn something new every day.
Yesterday, I tried to land at a small gardener somewhere.
"Docking request denied."
Huh?
"Largest pad too small."
Huh??
Checking Hutton Helper and the local map.
Ok. In Odyssey, there are ground bases that only have a single small pad :confused:

So, if I want to satisfy my OCD, I now have to either rebuild one of my small ships for cargo delivery - or build a new small cargo delivery ship from scratch. With the added challenge that I don't like to simply escape interdiction from those bounty carrying NPC pirates, so it has to be something with a bite. Looks like an can squeeze a size 4 rack into an otherwise decent Vulture. Might run a little hot, though.
actually you can easily sneak a 32t rack into a vulture without any problem - i had such a build for BGS work. as a class 4 shieldgenerator is above optimal hullmass already on a vulture, and you won't need the added recharge rate of a class 5, you don't loose much (my ex-bgs 32t build is now a 32t build for robbing installations)

actually you can easily sneak a 32t rack into a vulture without any problem - i had such a build for BGS work. as a class 4 shieldgenerator is above optimal hullmass already on a vulture, and you won't need the added recharge rate of a class 5, you don't loose much (my ex-bgs 32t build is now a 32t build for robbing installations)
Looks good - thanks. Only loses ~10% raw shield strength.

Thanks for your help! :) Everything was correct and in the right place. My spouse (who does Python coding) was able to fix it. Here's the fix for anyone else on Linux:
Edit the plugin's toolbar.py file with a code editor app (e.g. nano, Gedit, Kate, Code, etc.) and change lines 24-28 to this:
Python:
HOT_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_hot.gif")
INF_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_inf.gif")
STATS_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_stats.gif")
RADIO_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_radio.gif")
PATREON_IMAGE = tk.PhotoImage(file=os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))+"/icon_patreon.gif")
All that's needed is to change the \ (backslash) on each +"\icon_ to a / (forward slash) as above. \ is Windows file path and *Nix uses / :)
Just a note to the developers - this is why you should use pathlib (or at least os.path.join() calls) for this sort of thing, as that will let the Python library figure out which path conventions are appropriate to the local computer.

Am I the only one who has problems with the Hutton Helper recording mug and gin deliveries only unreliably?

I'm running the lite version 'L1.0.11' in EDMC. And it's not that that the helper isn't recording deliveries at all, but that it isn't recording them reliably! Most deliveries do get recorded, but some don't.

E.g. on the 15th November I was annoyed by the grind and decided to mug all the engineers in Colonia. Among others it did record the mug sales to "Bresa Modifications" at 2022-11-15T11:57:31Z and to "Eidolon Hold" at 2022-11-15T12:51:00Z, but did not record the sale to "Rosa's Shop" at 2022-11-15T12:22:14Z. (Times from my logfile. There were other sales in between, but those had already been mugged.)

I do get loads of error messages about unsuccessful(?) transmits in my EDMC console:
Code:
2022-11-21 12:08:44.067 UTC - ERROR - 11542:140129078785856:11542 <plugins>.Hutton-Helper.xmit.request:98: 213 POST http://forthemug.com:4567/receivetext ms=5060
2022-11-21 12:08:44.073 UTC - ERROR - 11542:140129078785856:11542 <plugins>.Hutton-Helper.xmit.request:99: b''
[Edit:] The "error" numbers usually are 212, but with 210 and 213 also showing up.

Last edited:
Hmmm... My run through Teaka today was unusually well recorded. The Helper only misses the first two stations I visited, but recorded all stations I visited after that. (Including the re-visit to the two missed stations.)
I think that it recorded all visits and sales that I did after I also logged into the website. Is that required for the Helper to work?

Another day, this time in Nisgayo: I've opened the Hutton Helper webpage from the start - in parallel to running the HH-lite in EDMC - and no sale was missed.
So apparently the solution to my problem is to keep a tab with the Hutton Helper webpage open while playing. 🤪

@Vingtetun et al: FDev has announced that with tomorrow's release of patch 14 the galaxy will split in two: the live and the legacy galaxy. How will 2HOT2MESSY deal with that? Will it happily accept deliveries from both galaxies?

@Vingtetun et al: FDev has announced that with tomorrow's release of patch 14 the galaxy will split in two: the live and the legacy galaxy. How will 2HOT2MESSY deal with that? Will it happily accept deliveries from both galaxies?
The HH hamsters are poised in anticipation of parallel hamster wheels, one red, one green, (just to confuse @Vingtetun) two feet on each. Until they learn how to spin both wheels in a live environment, without falling off (too much - but we can see 'tumbling hamster' videos overtaking 'cat media' in popularity) Rest assured that the hamster tamer is on the case and will make what tweaks are necessary to make it work. If it proves untweakable, then hey ho, we tried and no hamsters were harmed (much) in the attempt.

Top Bottom