Planet Coaster Steam Subscription Pass Now Available

Why would be that a problem?
I could pay €5 and try all of them for a month.
If i like the DLC i may consider shelling out the cash required to buy the whole package. Or only the stuff that may interest me
If not, i can move on, saving a lot of cash.
It isn't a problem and you have a very good point as far as the "try before you buy" way of using it. That's a really good way of seeing if you like the DLCs.

I just think that if you subscribe long enough to have paid the equivalent or more than the cost of the DLCs, then you should get to keep them. That way, everyone wins.

As you said, you don't play PlanCo, so I don't know if you know about the way the game saves. Basically, if you open a park, blueprint of any file containing DLC that you don't own, you can play and build within it but you can't save your progress. So if you stop your subscription, you'll in effect, no longer be able to progress with anything you've built using the DLCs. And as some of us players have spent 100s, or in my case 1000s of hours in game, so losing all that work would be both unthinkable and unacceptable.

I'm not hating on this at all.
I have all the DLC s already. I've always supported Frontier and have been lucky enough to have met the devs and community teams many times. They're a really decent, lovely bunch.
I'm just trying to look at this objectively and think of how it could affect the players who go for this subscription further down the line.

The only case in which this would make sense is for new players owning the base game. Then you could test all the dlcs for one or two months and make a decision to buy or not to buy a dlc.
But this is probably not the idea when offering long term subscribtion...

If you're interesed in a dlc, it's already there by a forced installation (but locked). You can already see each dlc item in your park but just not able to place it... This should be enough of dlc advertising! If you're buying wisely you can own all dlcs with less money than a one year subscribtion would cost.

But it wouldn't make sense if you automatically own the dlcs just by keeping up the subscribtion until you reach the spent money it would cost to buy it!

Last edited:
It isn't a problem and you have a very good point as far as the "try before you buy" way of using it. That's a really good way of seeing if you like the DLCs.
I don't buy (excuse the pun) into this though, I mean it's not like trying out a game to see if it suits you (like playing a demo). Would someone actually pay to try out a DLC before deciding whether to buy when they can see everything that's included beforehand? And then by doing things this way they pay more than it would have cost them in the first place which is a bit unfair. As I said, if sales were decent there's just no need to add this (it's not simply a case of if it doesn't interest you no harm done). It's the practice of getting others to pay for something that they will lose access to down the road. Reducing the cost of the DLCs that were released years ago (£7.99 is too much in my view) should clearly have been the option here.

This is a great example why a game studio/publisher should not completely be out of touch of reality what their customers actually want. I have felt this from day #1 and now again see confirmation after all these years and can't help but still feel disappointed again. Yes you are a business, you want to make money. But this is NOT the way to do it. This is a huge slap in the face of all the fans who have been loyal supporters from the beginning. We have been begging for actual content and gameplay updates for years or any news regarding a new title Planet Coaster 2. Maybe some of the developers know it, but whoever is in charge or calling the shots does not know a thing about what the community actually wants. This will never make you a succesful company. This will never give you the ability to really make a ground breaking title if you are looking at it from a business money milking way only. Alot of companies tried this (Meta, EA) and have failed. Only the real companies that care about the quality of their products and the satisfaction of their playerbase will survive.

I wish more companies were like the developers and publishers like a game such as Cities Skylines. They are doing DLC the good way. They actually care about making a good game. They fully support the gamers and promote content creating so the community can spend time creating mods and extra content years after they have released a solid base game to expand upon, and since then they have released alot of succesful DLC that only adds to that and made this title to be one of the best gaming titles to ever exist!

The developers of Planet Coaster are very skilled and have set a good base, but its succesul is clearly being hindered by the publisher by making calls like this, keeping that godforsaken d*nu*vo that has been proven to hinder performance from the beginning, not supporting mods, releasing cosmetic DLC like monsters, knight rider and ghost busters like who even asked for this? Whoever is calling these shots has no idea how to make a product that really changes history. The money making greed is blinding them from reaching true success. Listen more to the developers and the community if you want to be a part of history and not think that locking everything up and selling as much as possible is gonna make you the most succesful because it has been proven again and again this is working counter productive. Please wake up to reality. Kudo's to all the developers that give us awesome content and gameplay mechanics and big thumbs down for publisher and upper management that things making calls like this in difficult times like this would do any good. Completely out of touch with reality.

Last edited:
This is a great example why a game studio/publisher should not completely be out of touch of reality what their customers actually want. I have felt this from day #1 and now again see confirmation after all these years and can't help but still feel disappointed again. Yes you are a business, you want to make money. But this is NOT the way to do it. This is a huge slap in the face of all the fans who have been loyal supporters from the beginning. We have been begging for actual content and gameplay updates for years or any news regarding a new title Planet Coaster 2. Maybe some of the developers know it, but whoever is in charge or calling the shots does not know a thing about what the community actually wants. This will never make you a succesful company. This will never give you the ability to really make a ground breaking title if you are looking at it from a business money milking way only. Alot of companies tried this (Meta, EA) and have failed. Only the real companies that care about the quality of their products and the satisfaction of their playerbase will survive.

I wish more companies were like the developers and publishers like a game such as Cities Skylines. They are doing DLC the good way. They actually care about making a good game. They fully support the gamers and promote content creating so the community can spend time creating mods and extra content years after they have released a solid base game to expand upon, and since then they have released alot of succesful DLC that only adds to that and made this title to be one of the best gaming titles to ever exist!

The developers of Planet Coaster are very skilled and have set a good base, but its succesul is clearly being hindered by the publisher by making calls like this, keeping that godforsaken d*nu*vo that has been proven to hinder performance from the beginning, not supporting mods, releasing cosmetic DLC like monsters, knight rider and ghost busters like who even asked for this? Whoever is calling these shots has no idea how to make a product that really changes history. The money making greed is blinding them from reaching true success. Listen more to the developers and the community if you want to be a part of history and not think that locking everything up and selling as much as possible is gonna make you the most succesful because it has been proven again and again this is working counter productive. Please wake up to reality. Kudo's to all the developers that give us awesome content and gameplay mechanics and big thumbs down for publisher and upper management that things making calls like this in difficult times like this would do any good. Completely out of touch with reality.
In defence to Frontier the early Go-Kart dlcs were almost test dlcs and the feedback from them is why they stopped them.

Ghostbusters is an incredible DLC and is basically studio pack 2.

This is still a bonkers idea though.

No dev or comunity manager answer?
Nobody wants to defend this move?
At least says that if you paid enough money you own the DLC or something...
At least says that you're working on a sequel and this was to say that you are still alive, and wanted to remind us by waving a hand or something.
At least talk to us, won't you?

I know they don't want to give info if the product is not polished and all but, I feel like they could loose some support with this one.

All these references to a Planet Coaster 2 (that I see here and elsewhere in response to this announcement) aren't really related to the OP so any confirmation of that isn't required here to be fair. That's a completely separate topic of discussion in my view, if it comes in the next few years then great and I'm sure they'll announce something if and when they're ready so giving them grief for a lack of info on that front is unwarranted.

As we know, There willn't be another DLC for PC right?
So if it is not for another DLC, what else could they give us news for? A Subscription for DLC? :ROFLMAO:
No seriously I'm not agree with you, At this level, any news should point toward a Sequel as they told us there will not have any more update for the base game...No more DLC.
I'm clearly not asking for a confirmation on this post. I'm agree with you on that matter, this is not the subject here.
But we could at least have an answer on what is going? Why suddently give news, to a DLC subscription, when the developement of the game is DEAD.
It doesn't make any sens for me.

No matter if a sequel to planet coaster is coming or not,although this new announcement could be another hint towards it. The real issue with this suscription system is that people don't get to keep the dlcs once they've paid the amount that they would normally pay for the dlc in a single purchase. I myself already own all the dlcs of this game so I can't really speak for myself on this topic. What I can talk about however is the audacity of Frontier Developments to keep this game (Pc Version) abandoned for 3.5 years and then come out with a weird suscription service like this to a loyal fanbase that mostly owns all the dlc, I guess, and expect new players to come because of this. You have to do better if you want people to play this game again! If this remains the only installement in the Coaster Franchise it needs updates. Otherwise the game won't get much attention anymore.

Btw today is planco anniversary,just so you know. The game came out in 2016. It's now an ancient,but still beloved game. However it is outdated and we will need a sequel or updates. This new subscription service won't bring your fanbase back.

I personally still hit the game up here and there,but am always bugged down by the limitations it has and how outdated it really is by today's standards. I would very much hope for a sequel and planet zoo isn't really my cup of tea. So unless something comes soon,I'm done with Frontier Developments and their seemingly new found greed.😔

Last edited:
I genuinely cannot understand the outrage at this service. It’s quite silly how angry people are getting at it!

Yeah, Planet Coaster is not getting any more DLC’s - I think we all knew that at least a year or so ago when Console was announced. Did people expect this service to have new DLC?

This service is clearly made for new PlanCo users in kind. For 6 months of playtime, you’d pay $20 for access to all DLC content. The lowest possible price you could get all the DLC for in PlanCo is $40. For people like me, I’d only play the game for about a month at a time, if I actually got into it! This service is clearly made for users who have never played before but would want all the content unlocked. And that’s actually really good! I think even having this for Planet Zoo once they’re all done with DLC would be incredible as well. I’m probably right in assuming that most people commenting here are PlanCo veterans who have played the game since it came out more or less, and have surely gotten their moneys worth for the game! However, there’s users out there who have only played the game for about a months time, to a few months or even a week of playing right through it. This is such an economical advantage to those kinds of players and I’m all for it! And hell, if they like the game after playing with it for a bit, the DLC can sometimes be mad cheap so it won’t hurt the bank too much to buy it after they take it out for a test drive.

I genuinely think all this hate is unwarranted still. This service probably isn’t made for you if you are not interested in it, it’s made for another kind of player. This isn’t forced at all and I don’t get why people are acting like it is haha

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
No dev or comunity manager answer?
Nobody wants to defend this move?
At least says that if you paid enough money you own the DLC or something...
At least says that you're working on a sequel and this was to say that you are still alive, and wanted to remind us by waving a hand or something.
At least talk to us, won't you?

I know they don't want to give info if the product is not polished and all but, I feel like they could loose some support with this one.
They don't need to defend it. If people don't want to use the Subscription option then they don't have to. Community Managers announce stuff, and this is an announcement. it's business and they do as they see fit.

They don't need to defend it. If people don't want to use the Subscription option then they don't have to. Community Managers announce stuff, and this is an announcement. it's business and they do as they see fit.
:ROFLMAO: you re right it fits very vell ... i ve seen so many upvotes and support on steam

I genuinely cannot understand the outrage at this service. It’s quite silly how angry people are getting at it!

Yeah, Planet Coaster is not getting any more DLC’s - I think we all knew that at least a year or so ago when Console was announced. Did people expect this service to have new DLC?

This service is clearly made for new PlanCo users in kind. For 6 months of playtime, you’d pay $20 for access to all DLC content. The lowest possible price you could get all the DLC for in PlanCo is $40. For people like me, I’d only play the game for about a month at a time, if I actually got into it! This service is clearly made for users who have never played before but would want all the content unlocked. And that’s actually really good! I think even having this for Planet Zoo once they’re all done with DLC would be incredible as well. I’m probably right in assuming that most people commenting here are PlanCo veterans who have played the game since it came out more or less, and have surely gotten their moneys worth for the game! However, there’s users out there who have only played the game for about a months time, to a few months or even a week of playing right through it. This is such an economical advantage to those kinds of players and I’m all for it! And hell, if they like the game after playing with it for a bit, the DLC can sometimes be mad cheap so it won’t hurt the bank too much to buy it after they take it out for a test drive.

I genuinely think all this hate is unwarranted still. This service probably isn’t made for you if you are not interested in it, it’s made for another kind of player. This isn’t forced at all and I don’t get why people are acting like it is haha
Well, you are on your own. Almost 700 negative replies on the steam discussions regarding this announcement and the only non-negative one is the same as this post so it really seems to be just you who is not completely outraged by this move. Thats basicly a 1:1000 ratio of people that are happy with this move. I really hope Frontier will learn from this. I have been an early bird got this game in 2016 and did nothing but support it and hype it up for years, watched all the streams with Bo and Ed if you guys can still remember that and then in the end this is how upper management does their loyal supporters and fanbase? Try to milk them dry during an aconomic recession one more time while we have been begging about them fixing performance or at least getting the ability for real mod support (and not just custom images on a billboard) so the community actually can help further support a great game.

But no we get radio silence and then few years later "please buy this subscription although most of you probably already payed full price for everything on its release". It is a big slap in the face and I 100% understand the outrage. It is really a shame because the developers are clearly talented, the game looks good and had so much potential but whoever is calling the shots is just a bad type of person blinded by greed. Everything is pointing that they don't care about fun and freedom but are only thinking about milking money dry and locking everything up. They don't have love for the game, they have love for the money. Keeping that darn d*n*vo that hinders performance, not giving the ability to make real mods so the die-hard fans and talented community could apply fixes that Frontier themselves dont want to invest time and money in. Planet Coaster should have been the savior of the Theme Park / Roller Coaster sim genre like how Cities Skylines was the savior of the Sim City genre. We all know this was supposed to happen. We all know the developers could make it possible. But upper management, the publisher, whoever is calling the shots ruined it by being blinded by money and making the game as anti-freedom as possible.

Please look at the success of the example I have just given for a potential Planet Coaster 2. You could make history if you do that one right and you would get such a big community making content, mods, streaming the game even years after its release thus increasing popularity and sales in the end. But what they are doing now is not helping the longevity of the game and it clearly shows and is extremely short sighted chosen by someone that probably does not even play or has played these kind of games themselves.

Last edited:
"please buy this subscription although most of you probably already payed full price for everything on its release". It is a big slap in the face and I 100% understand the outrage.
If you already own everything then you won't be buying the subscription.
It's an alternative option for people who don't own everything, or anything, and want to try it out. If you already own everything then it won't affect you in the slightest.

People who do try it out for a few months with the subscription can still buy the individual DLCs (presumably when they're next on sale) if they feel they're going to keep playing it long-term and want to own them permanently.

I can understand a certain distaste as a ‘thin end of the wedge’ scenario. It seems Frontier are using an ‘expired’ product to dip its corporate toe into the subscription market. It won’t affect Planet Coaster, it might affect future Frontier projects.

Top Bottom