Planet Coaster Steam Subscription Pass Now Available

I have been an early bird got this game in 2016 and did nothing but support it and hype it up for years, watched all the streams with Bo and Ed if you guys can still remember that and then in the end this is how upper management does their loyal supporters and fanbase? Try to milk them dry during an aconomic recession one more time while we have been begging about them fixing performance or at least getting the ability for real mod support (and not just custom images on a billboard) so the community actually can help further support a great game..
Funny, isn’t it, how when they cease to become a potential source of income, Frontier drops player bases like a stone.

‘It’s nothing personal Jack (Ramm), it’s just good business’

They don't need to defend it. If people don't want to use the Subscription option then they don't have to. Community Managers announce stuff, and this is an announcement. it's business and they do as they see fit.
Yeah, It's business, I know you can't make the machine run without money, but come on... I though Frontier was above all that.
I remember the first dev diaries, I was thinking "oh they really love what they are doing, this is gonna be great, they don't (ATARI) this game and this why it will work"
And It worked! And I think it is because of this. They respected the fan base, and put love in the Game, not the business.
After this annoucement I got an ATARI feeling.
Maybe I'm wrong. After all, they do what they want indeed. But it doesn't mean that what they do isn't criticable.

And I don't want the people here to think that I'm mad for it or anything, They really do as they want, I'm agree with that.
I'm just concerned, because I might lost interest in their game if this is the road they want to travel.
They might Travel it without me, And I'm just sad about it, not angry.

Last edited:
I'm not that concerned that they offer this option, although the vast majority of players have bought the dlc when it came out - years ago. It's fine for the few new players who might want to 'test' dlc, although I'd be surprised if that added up to many people. I don't think this program is PC-specific either. Regardless, I have all the dlc so doesn't mean much to me anyways.

I think what DOES tend irk me is that they seem to have enough time to come up with a system to do this, but don't have enough time to fix things like the TMTK editor that have seriously needed attention for ages, nor have they had time to really communicate with the fan base since the console version releases, and have pretty much ignored them without even the courtesy to simply let people know that the development had come to an end so not to expect more.

As was mentioned above, that tends to bring back memories of Atari, and those memories aren't good ones...

I'm not that concerned that they offer this option, although the vast majority of players have bought the dlc when it came out - years ago. It's fine for the few new players who might want to 'test' dlc, although I'd be surprised if that added up to many people. I don't think this program is PC-specific either. Regardless, I have all the dlc so doesn't mean much to me anyways.

I think what DOES tend irk me is that they seem to have enough time to come up with a system to do this, but don't have enough time to fix things like the TMTK editor that have seriously needed attention for ages, nor have they had time to really communicate with the fan base since the console version releases, and have pretty much ignored them without even the courtesy to simply let people know that the development had come to an end so not to expect more.

As was mentioned above, that tends to bring back memories of Atari, and those memories aren't good ones...

i think Wagi nailed it very well ... no one "hates" Frontier cause they did a very good job with Planet Coaster in the past but at the moment they act like something i never thought it would happen

Again, I’m still convinced none of you actually know what this subscription service is. If you already own the DLC’s you don’t and like, can’t, get the service?

I can understand a certain distaste as a ‘thin end of the wedge’ scenario. It seems Frontier are using an ‘expired’ product to dip its corporate toe into the subscription market. It won’t affect Planet Coaster, it might affect future Frontier projects.
It's this; it's the future of never being able to buy a DLC, but having to subscribe to DLCs, maybe even the base game. Planet Coaster is a good spot to test the system and player reactions as it has such a low impact at the moment, so if it is a disaster it can be buried. But wait until it's the only way to enjoy the latest title from the developers if it goes well enough. It's not a cash grab right now, but it's absolutely a company seeing the constant flow of cash Adobe and Netflix gets month after month, and saying, "Why Not Us?". Those quick to defend this move are not thinking it affects them now but it will eventually if we ever get a Planet Coaster 2 or Planet Zoo 2 or Planet Water Park, etc, especially if you are paying to enjoy a game that has no new updates or content (unlike Adobe's or Netflix's justification for a subscription service). I don't like the implications of this, as it may yet be another thing I enjoy, but do not own, and have to pay until I (or they) close down.

Is subscribing for old DLC actually a thing elsewhere or is it fairly new? Not sure I've seen that before. Also this whole 'paying to try it out before you buy' is kinda ridiculous. What are they trying out exactly and why should they pay more to try/buy a DLC than someone who just buys it as it is? If you need to offer a subscription service then maybe the DLC content is too expensive in the first place?

Last edited:
People who are a) invested fans and/or b) unhappy are more likely to be vocal than people who are new, casual fans, or just okay with this or mildly supportive, so the ratio of comments and reactions can be misleading. I'm not saying people don't have reason to not support this, just saying that "this isn't the worst" is a valid opinion too. If you already own all of the DLC you want to own, then this isn't meant for you. It's not inherently bad to add another option for newer players and people who don't own all the DLC (we do exist!).

And putting Planet Coaster DLC on sale by any model should have little if any effect on the development cycle of a PC2 game, except maybe to boost it a bit.

However, I don't like subscription models that mean you lose access to your own work when the subscription ends, and I really hope this doesn't mean they won't put the DLC on Sale ever. I'd prefer to buy them outright, and after so long I feel its reasonable to expect the price to come down. Winter sales always make me feel more festive compared to a subscription ;)

OK now you can colour me thick if you like but - what if you create a park using some sub-based DLC content and then cancel you subsription? Does your World's Fair-based coaster ride just disappear? How will people know if the Munster-stuff has really been removed or if it is just hiding until the full moon?

Blinkin' stupid idea - who on earth came up with this and were they drunk at the time?

And now the DLCs are on sale priced at a very reasonable £3.99/£0.99 (ghostbusters excluded), these are the kind of prices they should be selling them at on a permanent basis (£4.99 is I'd say the max). Hopefully many players will take up the option of making a permanent purchase instead of using the subscription service.

Last edited:
The subscription option is a test.
They don't want to be nice and give new options to save money... It's just making money.

With this test Frontier wants to generate fix monthly income for old stuff that's not worth it today.
If this works now, they'll make it mandatory for a PC2. We can be sure that the monthly price will be much higher and if dlcs (or the game itself) still will be available for purchase the price will be much higher to support subscriptions...

Last edited:
OK now you can colour me thick if you like but - what if you create a park using some sub-based DLC content and then cancel you subsription? Does your World's Fair-based coaster ride just disappear? How will people know if the Munster-stuff has really been removed or if it is just hiding until the full moon?

Blinkin' stupid idea - who on earth came up with this and were they drunk at the time?
Wont go any were. all DLC is in the game patch data... buying or renting DLC just enables or disables the access to create and select new rides to place...
Once you put the ride down in the park it will stay in your park... remove it or try to put a new version in to a park and the menus just won't have that option enabled...
You can see every DLC pack in game it just does not allow you to place new rides of that DLC if you dont resub or rebuy the DLC...

You rent the DLC access token for the subscription fee...

Wont go any were. all DLC is in the game patch data... buying or renting DLC just enables or disables the access to create and select new rides to place...
Once you put the ride down in the park it will stay in your park... remove it or try to put a new version in to a park and the menus just won't have that option enabled...
You can see every DLC pack in game it just does not allow you to place new rides of that DLC if you dont resub or rebuy the DLC...

You rent the DLC access token for the subscription fee...
And to add, you can't Save parks with DLC you don't own; that's the consequence. So you can't make a park with DLC and then unsubscribe and still be able to build and enjoy that park with vanilla parts; you'd have to delete the DLC items to save the park. It is a View Only situation when you download parks from the Workshop with the DLC you don't have. As GraphiteGB says you are just buying or renting access, the parts are all there at all times.

I see. You want us to see you as EA the 2nd and stop supporting you. Got it.

Do you actually see and look at the same thing as i do?
Because, since they didnt remove the ability to purchase the DLCs, the way i see it is they've given me the ability to test the DLCs at a rather low price instead of "forcing" me to buy them

The subs is adding / enabling different option so players can enjoy the DLCs

Top Bottom