Horizons Planet Surface has unplayable fps

Got the same thing, FPS drops down to 40ish in the surface on my GTX970 paired with a new I7. Very playable and pretty in Ultra, but as most people are getting 60+ with same GPU/CPU i figure something might be wrong. Once home from work i will check the supersampling setting, and will try to run the game without geforce experience to see what happens. Will post the best settings for my rig here once i found them.

SRVs head lights cast shadows so it should impact your fps. Shadows are expensive. :)

I was planning on getting a 960. But seeing people's reports about the performance here made me decide to go for the 970. 980 is too much for my wallet... :/

Well there certainly were no shadows when the system's star is glaring in my face, that's why it was weird :p As for cards, I'm on the AMD side, but the 280X is holding steady pretty well considering. Getting 60 in space (v-synched) with everything on high, and 48-60 (depending on lighting) on the surface. And that's with those damned buggy Crimson drivers. I will have to try your GemFX profile later, see if I can tank it :D

Everyone who's noted that they've has better performance in 1.4 please keep in mind that in 1.5&Horisons we have SMAA finaly doing something. So having gtx 970 on 2560x1080 I had to drop supersampling from 1.5 to 1 to get back to 60 FPS inside stations. Actualy supersampling is not needed anymore becouse of SMAA.

If you are running your two GTX670 in SLI then I think that may be your problem. I think there is still a problem with EDH and SLI setups?

Just checked again and it's no longer using SLI. Not that the second card is going to make it playable when we're hitting <10 fps, but it suggests there's something wrong with the 64-bit version. SLI used to work very well in this game. I think I'll come back to this in the new year.

Huge LOL at people expecting to run this game at maxxed settings on crappy cards with 2gb of ram. You need to drop your settings or upgrade your hardware. Horizons was always going to stress cards more because of the amount of detail that is rendered now on planetary landings and it should stay as it is. If you still dont like it go buy an XBOX ONE and play the game on there although an inferior experience, this is enthusiast PC gaming and we should not drop the level of detail because some people have crap old decripit hardware. Drop your settings to low and work your way up slow turning one setting up at one time.
SLI is working with Nvidia Inspector.....STOP using the Nvidia control panel for SLI as many features dont work and never have on Nvidia control panel. Surprised so many people dont actually know about this, supposed to be seasoned games players...meh.

Also anyone running 1440p resolution on a 2Gb card need to upgrade or drop res to 1080p or 1200p depending on 16:9 or 16:10 monitor. 1440p and 2GB is really pushing it and it wont work unless you enjoy lots of stutter.

Last edited:
Well if it's worth anything, performance will no doubt be improved a bit through updates.

I'm getting decent performance on planets but would be nice to have it at the same fps as everywhere else.
2700k, 32gb ram, gtx980, 3840x1620dsr to combat aliasing, 75fps vsynced supercruise, asteroid belt, inside station, 45 fps on planets.

Try setting your Anti-aliasing and Ambient Occlusion to off, terrain quality to High (need to log out and in for it to take effect) and set your terrain material quality to low. Set the slider to the middle as a start.
I had a similar issue with a GTX 760 (192bit) and that solved the drops for me. They were particularly bad when gliding and on the way down to the station.
Now holds around 30-35fps when it was dropping below 10 before.
Hope this helps.

Huge LOL at people expecting to run this game at maxxed settings on crappy cards with 2gb of ram. ... wah wah wah ... If you still dont like it go buy an XBOX ONE ... splutter splutter ... this is enthusiast PC gaming and we should not drop the level of detail because some people have crap old decripit hardware ... bleh bleh ... Surprised so many people dont actually know about this, supposed to be seasoned games players...meh.

Wow. Thanks for that.

@Dippy Nonsense. I could play beta 5 @ 25 fps and most modern games @ medium or high settings. This card is only 2 years old, you must be kidding

Last edited:
Huge LOL at people expecting to run this game at maxxed settings on crappy cards with 2gb of ram. You need to drop your settings or upgrade your hardware. Horizons was always going to stress cards more because of the amount of detail that is rendered now on planetary landings and it should stay as it is. If you still dont like it go buy an XBOX ONE and play the game on there although an inferior experience, this is enthusiast PC gaming and we should not drop the level of detail because some people have crap old decripit hardware. Drop your settings to low and work your way up slow turning one setting up at one time.
SLI is working with Nvidia Inspector.....STOP using the Nvidia control panel for SLI as many features dont work and never have on Nvidia control panel. Surprised so many people dont actually know about this, supposed to be seasoned games players...meh.

Also anyone running 1440p resolution on a 2Gb card need to upgrade or drop res to 1080p or 1200p depending on 16:9 or 16:10 monitor. 1440p and 2GB is really pushing it and it wont work unless you enjoy lots of stutter.

I really don't know why you are being so hostile. tbh my GTX 770 2gb isn't a crappy card, I'll admit its not the best but its far from a crappy one.
My settings are mostly low, supersampling is on 1x and my res is 1080p

I would have expected it to be playable on those settings with my card, I wouldn't think that's too much to ask.

I'm getting mostly < 20fps on the surface and in places its like under 10fps... on an EVGA GTX 770 2gb? :(

Hi Steve, sorry to hear this mate - mighty frustrating!

A few suggestions from beta: Check which version of the drivers you're on (I'm using 359.00); put all the setting to their lowest quality, then build them gently back up again; ask Santa for a new card.

I've got a GTX 770 4Gb (i5-4690K 3.50Ghz) with not the latest drivers*, and I get 30+fps on the surface and a solid (synched) 60fps in space.

Worth (if you can) just getting a new card, as the final release of Horizons looks flipping fab - marked improvement on beta (3 I think was where I stopped).

Good luck!

EDIT: * I remember reading somewhere that moving to 359.06 drivers had reduced FPS for some - it may be a red-herring, but I'm sticking on 359.00 for a while yet!)

Last edited:
I really don't know why you are being so hostile. tbh my GTX 770 2gb isn't a crappy card, I'll admit its not the best but its far from a crappy one.
My settings are mostly low, supersampling is on 1x and my res is 1080p

I would have expected it to be playable on those settings with my card, I wouldn't think that's too much to ask.

Same for me. More of that GTX770 is card that included in recommended specifications:

RECOMMENDED PC SPECIFICATIONS:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 770 / AMD Radeon R9 280X or better
Network Broadband Internet Connection
Hard Drive: 8 GB available space

I'm getting mostly < 20fps on the surface and in places its like under 10fps making it utterly unplayable for me. I've tried that new gpu setting all th e way left, all the way right and in the middle and it seems to make no difference.

http://s30.postimg.org/8pmghxj8h/Screenshot_0161.png

13 fps on an EVGA GTX 770 2gb? :(

If you have AMD video card and have installed Amd gaming evolved gaming app, just quit that app, as it was killing my fps too, was getting 10-20 max when it was running, after shutting it down, 40- 50 fps ;)

Edit: Sorry just read that you have Nvidia... Oh well maybe for someone else will be helpfull...

Last edited:
Hi,

i've got a GTX 770 2gb and the FPS drop on the surface is very noticeable. The full release of horizons seems to go a bit smoother. In beta I had issues while entering orbital flight, but that has totaly gone since yesterdays release.

Just to compare to other GTX 770 2gb owners:

CPU: Intel i7-2600
NVidia Drivers: latest non beta
Screensetup: 2 x 1920x1080, ED-H run in Fullscreen on the primary screen
Game is installed on a SSD

It would be nice if someone could please tell me which graphic settings are sensible for this GPU with Horizons. I do not expect to play with everything on at ultra, but GTX 770 is recommendend... so a bit clarification is much appreciated :)

Im running some i5, 8gb ram, and gtx760 hawok, and im getting 30-50 fps on planets depending on how much of sky there is on screen :). Everything is on max, except of terrain details which i had to lower one step down, and probably will even more.

Must be something with your setup, did you try to contact support, im sure they will be able to help you.

Btw, i have already ordered new gtx970.

I have 2GB GTX660 OC 8GB RAM and Q9550@3GHz (quad core). On High for Terrain and terrain Material with slider all the way to right I get between around 30fps (dips to 25, peaks to 40) on the surface in the SRV but low level flying is around 20fps depending how much terrain is shown. This is at 1920x1080 with 1.0 supersamping. I think a key thing is having Ambient Occlusion OFF

This seems reasonable given some of the specs and results being posted.

Obviuosly I may turn down some settings in the long run but still experimenting at the moment. Given the sometimes low fps sometimes its not too bad smoothness wise.

I was looking to upgrade the PC in the new year but not sure what GPU to go for given the variety of results from various places in the forum. Was looking at a GTX970 but now not sure if need 980 or 980ti to be safe. (Sorry, not an AMD fan)

I've noticed some frame rate drops in the latest release on planet surfaces. I upgraded myself to a GTX 980Ti at the start of the Beta process, and even with 1.5x supersampling and everything set to full I was getting 60 FPS limited everywhere. On the release version, I found a couple of planets where the frame rate dropped to 40 FPS. Obviously still completely playable for me, but similar types of planet are obviously going to cause trouble for less capable hardware.

I've noticed some frame rate drops in the latest release on planet surfaces. I upgraded myself to a GTX 980Ti at the start of the Beta process, and even with 1.5x supersampling and everything set to full I was getting 60 FPS limited everywhere. On the release version, I found a couple of planets where the frame rate dropped to 40 FPS. Obviously still completely playable for me, but similar types of planet are obviously going to cause trouble for less capable hardware.

so, those are the 20 fps missing here. I could play beta 5 @ 27fps. I cannot play @ 7 fps

I don't have Horizons yet (still downloading), but with Elite Dangerous, I noticed my brand new video card had way lower FPS rate than my previous 5 year old one.

The biggest drain on my FPS rate seemed to be the Vertical Sync. Have you tried switching that off?

Top Bottom