Planet Zoo: Arid Animal Pack Releasing 20 June 🐪

How is it wrong?
Ungulata which primarily consists of large mammals with hooves. Living ungulates are divided into two orders: the odd-toed ungulates (Perissodactyla) including horses, rhinoceroses, and tapirs; and even-toed ungulates (Artiodactyla) such as cattle, pigs, giraffes, camels, sheep, deer, and hippopotamuses. Cetaceans such as whales, dolphins, and porpoises are also classified as even-toed ungulates, although they do not have hooves
I think @yoav_r means that even though they are all ungulates, they are still unique enough from one another to warrant their additions.

It's all subjective, but I think the only one that I don't prefer is the dama gazelle. It's still a good filler hoofstock and especially great for modern zoos.

How is it wrong?
Ungulata which primarily consists of large mammals with hooves. Living ungulates are divided into two orders: the odd-toed ungulates (Perissodactyla) including horses, rhinoceroses, and tapirs; and even-toed ungulates (Artiodactyla) such as cattle, pigs, giraffes, camels, sheep, deer, and hippopotamuses. Cetaceans such as whales, dolphins, and porpoises are also classified as even-toed ungulates, although they do not have hooves
It's not wrong it's just kind of a waste of time because no one thinks in terms of "ungulates" in real life. Your quote right there has dolphins and whales listed as ungulates, if there was a dolphin added to this pack i don't think that it would be met with criticism of "Frontier is adding another ungulate they don't care about animal diversity."

Putting all these animals under the ungulate title as if they are the same is a bit disingenious. They are nothing alike except the two antelopes, which still look very different.

I agree it's a shame monkeys and birds continually get shafted, but every animal in this pack except the gazelle was highly requested on its own.
I feel like the lack of diversity will come more into play when we will actually get to play with the pack a we gonna build habitats for them.
I know a lot of people here like to build semi realistic and 5 of them are housed in big, flat, pretty empty paddocks. Baboon or even aoudad would have brought some more variety as far as habitats go

How is it wrong?
They are all ungulates, but pretending these new animals are extremely similar for it is disingenous.

Although we got 5 ungulates, and although there are no birds or primates, and although there is no new walkthrough exhibit I really love this pack, well done Frontier, and well done for everyone who worked on this pack.

On top of that I still need more and more from Africa, I am still waiting for my number 1 in my wishlist: The Greater Kudu.

Believe it or not Africa is a huge continent that has tons of different species and I really don’t mind another african animal pack in the future that contains any of the following:

Greater Kudu
Impala
Giant Eland
Red Hartebeest
Black Backed Jackal
Honey Badger
Great White Pelican
Grey Crowned Crane
Marabou Stork
Secretary Bird
Serval
African Leopard
Masai Giraffe
Gravy’s Zebra
Nile Crocodile
African Spurred Tortoise
Black Mamba

Truthfully not sure what to say about this new DLC. On the one hand, it’s clear that there is still a group of dedicated developers for this game that care about the new content’s quality (all the screenshots of the new species models look amazing). But on the other hand, just because all these new species have pretty models, it doesn’t mean that they will offer much of anything new in PZ’s actual gameplay. Besides the porcupine (which hands-down looks phenomenal by the way), everything in this DLC already has an in-game counterpart that’s of comparable size and will likely behave/interact exactly the same.

Additionally, the theme for this pack is disappointing/discouraging for multiple reasons. Firstly, it likely means we will never get a dedicated Desert-based pack that contains species from across the globe. Why not just call this pack something more location-specific, since everything in it is from Africa? Calling this the Arid Pack all but confirms we will never get a Desert Pack, because these are basically the same themes. Sure, it’s possible that Frontier could pull together an American Southwest/Wild West Pack or something, but what’s to be done about South America and Australia? We aren’t going to get an Outback Pack, Shrublands Pack, etc. at this point. Also, Animal Packs offer the chance to pull together a larger variety of animals, as they are not “tied down” by any true physical, building theme. So why is everything in this pack either a large ungulate or carnivoran primarily from North Africa, except for the porcupine?

I totally understand why Northern Africa needed some more representation, but doing it this way, with this exact lineup, feels kinda “meh” to me. As others have mentioned, the Middle East/North Africa has more to offer than just large hoofstock and carnivorans. Something like the Sulcata Tortoise or a Crowned Crane would have been such an easy “clone” for something like this, yet would have added much needed diversity to Orders that have so little in PZ right now.

If Frontier truly is “saving” most of the major requested species still on the Meta-List, and more generally, species easily recognized by the general zoo-goer for “potential” DLCs that could happen over a year from now, then I fear it might end up biting them in the ass (never thought I’d be able to use that word on the forums).

I say this because, as @Doran mentioned, PZ seems to be on a gradual downslide for engagement and profits. And this sort of thing is typical of what happens when a game has been around for multiple years. Yes, PZ is still one of Frontier’s best performing games. But that can always change if player engagement goes sour.

Trust me, I’d love to see PZ’s official support drag out as long as possible, but if Frontier starts to “drip feed” people popular, requested, or unique species to the point where each new DLC only has one or two “attention grabbers”, likely that’s going to really hurt the profitability of new DLC.
And then what becomes the point of saving all these more-requested species, when the potential, future DLC they may come in doesn’t end up happening because sales of current DLC have dropped to the point where it isn’t profitable for Frontier anymore?

All in all, I’m probably gonna wait to catch this one on discount. Want to support this game, but there’s not much in this or the accompanying update that honestly interests me. Hopefully the fall will bring something more engaging for me (though I’ve been saying this for a while now after recent DLC reveals).

Last edited:
I say this because, as @Doran mentioned, PZ seems to be on a gradual downslide for engagement and profits. And this sort of thing is typical of what happens when a game has been around for multiple years. Yes, PZ is still one of Frontier’s best performing games. But that can always change if player engagement goes sour.
Atleast PZ went back on better track after steady fall with... tropical pack. It really looks like scenery packs are somehow better than animal packs despite having smaller rosters. My theory is there is huge chunk of pure-builders (as frontier described them iirc) who dont use animals in zoo game, but build weird stuff. So scenery packs have huge advantage over animal packs, which dont appeal to them.

Edit: if anyone want to check how PZ engagement is looking then check steamcharts. There is section about hours played. It can be used in many ways: for example couting playerbase and such.

Last edited:
Atleast PZ went back on better track after steady fall with... tropical pack. It really looks like scenery packs are somehow better than animal packs despite having smaller rosters. My theory is there is huge chunk of pure-builders (as frontier described them iirc) who dont use animals in zoo game, but build weird stuff. So scenery packs have huge advantage over animal packs, which dont appeal to them.
This could explain all the overly themed pieces. How did they track after grasslands? That one was well recieved.

Since we don't have a Somali Wild Ass screenshot yet, I'd thought I'd share this photo that I took at Franklin Park Zoo for everyone else who is obsessed with the fact that we are getting them too! Thank you, Frontier! 💚
20230402_165948.jpg

This could explain all the overly themed pieces. How did they track after grasslands? That one was well recieved.
I dont remember actual numbers, because only 30 days are shown and i didnt record anything but..
Wetlands were freaking huge with 300k hours played in first sunday. One of the best performing packs and definitely best animal pack to date.
Then conservation pack happened and numbers have fallen by half to around 150k in first sunday. Then both twilight and grasslands reached smaller numbers at peak and even smaller numbers in post-dlc peroid.
And now somehow tropical pack brought people back, because 2 weeks ago game reached 100k hours played. Last month look like conservation pack launch.

I dont remember actual numbers, because only 30 days are shown and i didnt record anything but..
Wetlands were freaking huge with 300k hours played in first sunday. One of the best performing packs and definitely best animal pack to date.
Then conservation pack happened and numbers have fallen by half to around 150k in first sunday. Then both twilight and grasslands reached smaller numbers at peak and even smaller numbers in post-dlc peroid.
And now somehow tropical pack brought people back, because 2 weeks ago game reached 100k hours played. Last month look like conservation pack launch.
I'm assuming tropical pack being so high has to do with the sloth being released. A lot of hype around finally having that and it was impossible to get a sloth for a while in franchise.

I know I already commenting but rating the animals thus far as some have done. I know some of this will be harsh and I'm sorry. I'm sure the Porcupine got the vast majority of the work here, so the pack needed a bunch of animals that were less work intensive. So I hope the developers don't feel bad. Maybe they actually felt the same way too. 2 months of Porcupine work vs. 1 month total on the other 7 maybe?

Crested Porcupine - solidly the nearly total reason I'm buying this pack. 10/10.
Sand Cat - I was just hoping on board the Sand Cat hypewagon, so I'm okay with this - 6/10
Somali Wild Ass - a Third Equid was needed and very visually distinct. 5/10
Dromedary - a given inclusion, even if I personally could have done without I get why it's included - 5/10
Black Rhino - I had no interest in completing the Rhino Trifecta.2/10
Addax - Nope, but at least looks distinct. 1/10
Dama Gazelle - Double Nope and gets a solid 0 out of 10 from me

Horned Viper - 1/10 - Meh. If we're going back to Standard Exhibits I need a Cobra. This thing is disappointing.

I know! they are so cute! I think whoever gave it the name was thinking of me and you (Swiftie and Foxy) we are famous!!! 😂
They're also camera shy. There is one at the children's zoo in the H-Town Zoo, and every time I pointed my camera at him to get a pic, he'd look at me, turn around, and flop down somewhere. He kept doing this until he got sick of it and went inside his den...

Back
Top Bottom