Planet Zoo - Custom Billboards

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Hayo fellow Zookeepers!

Since returning after the holidays, we have been busy working away on Planet Zoo to make this our best year yet! We've been excited to get stuck in and show you what we have got coming up for you all, beginning with this post! Many of you knew it was coming; we're thrilled to reveal Custom Billboards are on their way and will be added into the base game of Planet Zoo for free!

Those of you who played Planet Coaster may be familiar with the Custom Billboards, a way of creating your own bespoke signs around your zoos that will supply your guests with information on your animals, habitats and whatever else you want to shine a spotlight on! Like Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo's Custom Billboards will include new assets, such as screens, that will allow you to change the image on it to one of your own. The formats of the images Billboards will use are currently jpg, png, tiff, tga, and bmp. You will also be able to set these assets up to 'advertise' a guest destination and increase the desire for a guest to go and visit it, so if you're proud of something in your zoo make sure to let your guests know!

PZ_1.5_Free_Update_Billboard_01_WM_960x540.jpg

Alongside this, we've also set the Custom Billboards up so Habitat, Exhibit and Conservation Education Boards can have their images overridden which will allow you to customise the board to an image that you prefer. However, you will still need to set up your boards to be pointing to the animal or topic in the UI menu, as this is what guests will require to understand what your custom image is trying to show them. You're not just restricted to images either, Education Boards, Conservation Boards and Billboards will also be capable of displaying video too! These will work in the same way to images, but you will need your videos to be in the webm format.

Like Planet Coaster, we're also working on bringing Custom Audio to our speakers - this will be included in a future update after Billboards have been implemented. These will require the audio to be in flac or ogg formats. This update will additionally give you the freedom to customise the Education Speakers, after you have set them up via the UI to state what species or topics the audio is representing. Customisation on the Education Speakers will also allow you to add in new music to the Educator Talk Points, which will play while the Educator isn't giving a talk. As we're currently working on these features, we will be sharing an update for when you can expect to see them at a later date. We currently expect to first share with you the Custom Billboards, which will include video, and we will follow up a few weeks later with Custom Audio.

PZ_1.5_Free_Update_Billboard_03_WM_960x540.jpg

We hope you've enjoyed hearing about the Custom Billboards, and the added creativity they will add into your zoos! We're sure you're already thinking of ways to use them, and we can't wait to see how you all incorporate them. You can expect these in our next update, which we will be revealing more about soon, so stay tuned to our forums and official channels!

EDIT:
We thought you may like to know the Custom Billboard sizes, so that you can begin working on your images and videos to upload into the game once our next update is complete!
  • Screen Panel - 1:1, Square, 512 x 512px
  • Conservation Education Board - 9:16, Tall, 256 x 456px
  • Projection Screens (8m, 16m, 32m) - 16:9, Wide-Large, 1824 x 1024px
  • TV Screen (4m), Projection Screen (4) - 16:9, Wide-Medium, 912 x 512px
  • TV Screens (1m, 2m), Habitat & Exhibit Screens - 16:9, Wide-Small, 456 x 256px
We hope this helps! We're looking forward to our PlanZo Fam putting the Custom Billboards to good use! ♥️

Last edited:
You will also be able to set these assets up to 'advertise' a guest destination and increase the desire for a guest to go and visit it, so if you're proud of something in your zoo make sure to let your guests know!

Alongside this, we've also set the Custom Billboards up so Habitat, Exhibit and Conservation Education Boards can have their images overridden which will allow you to customise the board to an image that you prefer.

Yes! Custom billboards were exactly what I wanted to see next! That is amazing, and oh my, these additional features like advertisments and custom educational boards?! Thank you PZ team! ❤️

Thank you! I had a feeling this was coming soon :)

So If I understand it well, we will be able to use the small exhibit info panels for habitat animals and viceversa, am I right?

So If I understand it well, we will be able to use the small exhibit info panels for habitat animals and viceversa, am I right?
I sure hope so, our little crawling friends don't get a lot of attention as they deserve

I like how this will solve the missing billboard images for new species mods. I also like the idea of billboards drawing attention to areas of the zoo without it necessarily being animal related! Video billboards will also be exciting

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier

Hey Aramar! Not quite. You can only direct the education target of small info boards to exhibit animals, and the education target of habitat boards to habitat animals.
You can however link a small board to an exhibit animal and then overwrite the texture to the education image of a habitat animal, if you want to game the system that way. ;)

I'm not gonna lie, I was kinda afraid that the billboards would only come much later in the development process, but I'm over the moon to see we'll be getting them so soon! :D

I honestly can't wait to see what else you all have in store, but most of all, thank you so much for this, I can't wait to have this ingame ^^

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
I haven't used these in Planco so a question arises:
If you download something from the workshop with a custom billboard in it, the image/video will also show in your zoo, right?
Hayo! No, blueprints will not retain custom images and they cannot be shared through the workshop, you'll need to manually get whatever content someone else was using and set that up. However, speaking from our Planet Coaster experience, people usually upload their files somewhere and put that in the Steam description, so you can download and use yourself.

Hey Aramar! Not quite. You can only direct the education target of small info boards to exhibit animals, and the education target of habitat boards to habitat animals.
You can however link a small board to an exhibit animal and then overwrite the texture to the education image of a habitat animal, if you want to game the system that way. ;)
Thanks for the clarification. If we do that trick, will we get a notification saying that the board is wrong set? I mean, If I have a panda habitat, put an exhibit info board panel and choose any exhibit animal (let's say the terrapin), and change the picture for a panda picture, will be getting and alert that the info is set to a terrapin but there's no terrapin nearby?

Hayo! No, blueprints will not retain custom images and they cannot be shared through the workshop, you'll need to manually get whatever content someone else was using and set that up. However, speaking from our Planet Coaster experience, people usually upload their files somewhere and put that in the Steam description, so you can download and use yourself.
Cool, thanks for the answer!

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Can the webm videos have sound or will they be required to be silent ones?
Hayo! They can have audio! But please keep in mind that Custom Audio (Speakers) will be arriving in a separate update after this one - we wanted to get the Custom Billboards out asap for you all and the Custom Audio is taking some extra work. We will share more on that when we have a better time frame, which we expect will be in the next few weeks.
Thanks for the clarification. If we do that trick, will we get a notification saying that the board is wrong set? I mean, If I have a panda habitat, put an exhibit info board panel and choose any exhibit animal (let's say the terrapin), and change the picture for a panda picture, will be getting and alert that the info is set to a terrapin but there's no terrapin nearby?
Yes, the usual restrictions of the system will apply, meaning the Terrapin exhibit would still need to be reasonably close to the Panda enclosure so the board isn't out of range. However, it's worth pointing out that the guests would be getting educated about the Terrapin in this scenario.

Top Bottom