Planet Zoo: Grasslands Animal Pack arriving 13 December 🦋

Werewolf-Featured-Image.png

I figured out why the striped hyena looked so familiar to me. It's head shape reminds me so much of the werewolf from POA in the Harry Potter series.
Other way around. They designed the HP werewolf face in the likeness of a brown hyena to make it scary and not cute like a wolf.

Some controversial opinion here: I have to say that I consider taking a break for a bit from the PZ platforms, because some of the nit picking is too much for me and it is ruining my excitement. That said, I understand the constructive criticism on the Hyena and even the Caracal tail (even if I personally dont mind the stylization, I would never expect a photorealistic models in this game), but stuff like "there is something wrong with the Maned Wolf, it looks off but I dont know why" I just think alot of people jumped on this bandwagon of finding everything wrong with the animals to just go with the flow.

All of the PZ animals are not true to reality, there is always some stylization and in some cases some anatomical errors but in most cases, you dont even notice it when you play, yet in this pack seems to draw people into extreme nit picking (again I understand some of it, but some cases are really, really nit picking on things that were apparently ok with other packs).

And I am sorry to feel this way, I would never try to shut people as constructive criticism is needed, but I am going to stay away from this forum for a while. Dont mean to offend anyone, see you on the release day! :cool:

Some controversial opinion here: I have to say that I consider taking a break for a bit from the PZ platforms, because some of the nit picking is too much for me and it is ruining my excitement. That said, I understand the constructive criticism on the Hyena and even the Caracal tail (even if I personally dont mind the stylization, I would never expect a photorealistic models in this game), but stuff like "there is something wrong with the Maned Wolf, it looks off but I dont know why" I just think alot of people jumped on this bandwagon of finding everything wrong with the animals to just go with the flow.

All of the PZ animals are not true to reality, there is always some stylization and in some cases some anatomical errors but in most cases, you dont even notice it when you play, yet in this pack seems to draw people into extreme nit picking (again I understand some of it, but some cases are really, really nit picking on things that were apparently ok with other packs).

And I am sorry to feel this way, I would never try to shut people as constructive criticism is needed, but I am going to stay away from this forum for a while. Dont mean to offend anyone, see you on the release day! :cool:
I totally get what you mean.

It baffles me, too, because compared to the base game animals, nearly every DLC animal has been a huge improvement, so much so that the parity almost makes them look like they come from different games. Nothing is ever going to be perfect, but complaining that the head is slightly too large or that the face is too cute or that the texture shading is at the wrong angle doesn't really seem fruitful to me, especially when there are far more pressing model concerns (Malayan tapir, baby~).

Agree. As much as anything else, it’s very hard to tell how good the 3d model is when all we’ve got so far are stills (meaning there’s often a lot of foreshortening/ parallax etc.). A lot of criticism of animals in past packs has turned out to be misplaced once we get a look at the model in 3d / in motion. Even the Binturong (though it wasn’t good) wasn’t nearly as bad once you look at streamers’ videos of it as it appeared to be from the stills.

I want to apologize if I went too far anywhere. I think all of the animals in the pack are amazing except for the striped hyena. I even love the caracal even though the tail is short. I know some of my followers have been spamming and posting negative thoughts and this is not okay and I have addressed it and will address it a million times over if I have to. The pack is still amazing and I am looking forward to it too! Mental health is super important, so enjoy your break!

I’m not apologetic. I am a strong supporter of this game and community. I buy everything as soon as it is released and at full price. So if I feel disappointment I will voice it and I am not going to apologise for that. If it impacts your excitement feel free to click ignore.

And that this is a game! and not an real-life animal simulator.

Btw I like all the animals we seen so far, they are sooooo beautiful. The fur looks amazing. I would love to pet the wallaby, it looks so fluffy ❤️
Dont get me wrong, i like every animal on the game (Except the lion, looks like ---- to me) but the hyena face looks a bit odd for me.

I so understand what you are saying.

I know It's fine to complain about things, because in the end u paying for it. but it ruins the excitement like now after all those complains I don't know if I will buy the dlc (I know that I will buy it) but really I'm so sad because I was so excited for the dlc and I also thought it would probably be one of the best dlc And it really disappoints me that now, I'm no longer excited because there was a complaint about almost every animal.
also guys, u know this is a game It's not real life so even the most realistic animals in game still looks stylized. like yeah I get that the lion and malayan tapir have problems and a lot of the base game animals. but now all the animals and their textures and fur looks fantastic. I know there is some issues with the hyena but let's be real just their fur, it might be one of the best because how good it looks!

but really now I don't anymore excited for the dlc mainly for the hyena, and not because how it looks just because a lot of peoples complant about how it looks so much I no longer have the strength. but as I said It's game it can't looks 1 to 1. so I personally don't mind with how the hyena looks I don't mind if frontier will fix it or not I totally fine with it, I know not everyone happy with it and It's fine but yeah, my excitement for dlc has decreased.

I’m at the point where I just do my best to ignore the criticisms made before people even actually see the animals in-game the specific points people make are either too minor to worry me and/or turn out to be nothing more than camera angle causing foreshortening or similar. I’ll wait till I see the actual animal in-game before making a judgement. So far IMO, the animals in this pack are looking pretty great.

I have noticed this in the past as well. initially, everybody in the forum is excited about and happy with the new animals until somebody points out that “something just doesn’t look right”, and soon the majority of posts turn to criticism.

I looked at lots of images of striped hyenas and noticed many variations in head shapes and ear sizes. Just like we humans have different shapes of heads and ears and everything else, so do animals.

Here’s a quote from Wikipedia:
Male caracals measure in head-to-body length 78–108 cm (31–43 in) and have 21–34 cm (8.3–13.4 in) long tails; 77 male caracals ranged in weight between 7.2 and 19 kg (16 and 42 lb). The head-to-body length of females is 71–102.9 cm (28.0–40.5 in) with a tail of 18–31.5 cm (7.1–12.4 in); 63 females ranged in weight between 7 and 15.9 kg (15 and 35 lb).[22]

The length of the tail is most likely somewhat proportional to the individual animal’s body size, but the length range for female caracals is even larger than that of the males with a simliar range in body size.
But no matter what the body size, tails of 21cm and 18cm length, respectively, are very, very short.

I don't know why people are complaining about the striped hyena how if it was the principal head of the pack, when the DLC announced the people was focused on the Maned wolf, Emu, the Caracal or even the butterflies, not many people was talking about the striped hyena because it was a "reskin" a said comments like that here.

Personally we should focusing in the good thing over the bad, we get one of the top 3 meta-wishlist animal and not many people are talking about that, I think is
going unnoticed, many players were complaining for getting animals with a low participation on the meta-wishlist before, so I don't understand the constantly complaining
I appreciate Frontier continue supporting the game and I don't think striped hyena is a reskin model. I am very excited that Frontier put striped hyena to the game.
We appreciate the effort made by Frontier. However, we shouldn't ignore the problems of hyena model. We just hope the game become better.

Personally we should focusing in the good thing over the bad, we get one of the top 3 meta-wishlist animal and not many people are talking about that, I think is
going unnoticed, many players were complaining for getting animals with a low participation on the meta-wishlist before, so I don't understand the constantly complaining
People are voicing concerns in a polite and constructive way. After all, we pay for this and support the game in many ways.

If we feel something isn’t right then it is perfectly ok to say so. I say plenty of other positive things.

Top Bottom