🐾Planet Zoo: Tropical Pack arriving 4 April🐾

HAHA it is funny (and sad) like Frontier added Spectacled caiman and people hated it and said why another crocodillian Frontier why not a monitor....and now Frontier add monitor and people say omg Frontier, nile crocodille would be better.

Can we never be happy? I am sure Frontier listen to us ad it shows because the animals are awesome and yes I want more birds and monkeys, but please have a patience. I am 100% Frontier will deliver us more birds and monkey, it is just about when:)

HAHA it is funny (and sad) like Frontier added Spectacled caiman and people hated it and said why another crocodillian Frontier why not a monitor....and now Frontier add monitor and people say omg Frontier, nile crocodille would be better.
lol I was thinking the same thing, BUT I do think if there's ONE habitat reptile that would be a perfect addition, it'd be some freshwater river turtle.

lol I was thinking the same thing, BUT I do think if there's ONE habitat reptile that would be a perfect addition, it'd be some freshwater river turtle.
Yes I would love Pig-nosed turtle!
20110712113007pig-nosed-turtle.jpg

And Frontier thank you for bringing the lar Gibbon, I like siamangs but Lar Gibbons are my favourite and i am sad to see people dislike them so much, they look SO good and maybe they move different than siamangs a bit?

But please as others said if you can bring the brachiation for the rope pieces also.
Me too. I also love lar gibbon as it has many colour morphs. Thanks frontier

Alright it has finally arrived, I had a hunch it was going to be centered around a tropics theme, The Gibbon and River Hogs looks great! I am also very please they added the Fossa and Sloth I have really been desiring a sloth species in game, I am curious to see what the movement mechanics will be for them if they will slowly climb along branches and up and down trees or if they will be like exhibit animals and just reappear in different locals here and there. The only animal in this pack I am scratching my head about is the monitor lizard, there was a host of better choices to choose from. But overall I am pleased.

I love the gibbon and I’m so happy we have a second one. I love the sloth and with time I’m coming around to them being exhibits (I just hope this isn’t a trend for marmosets or arboreal animals like that). As I said I love all the parts in the dlc just as a whole with a theme like tropical I’m dissatisfied. And that’s OK. I love this game. I love the dev team. This game is a dream come true for me. It’s because I love it that I criticize it. I want it to be my all in one stop for zoo games. That’s why I got disappointed at a Tropical themed pack with out birds, or SA monkeys. I don’t know why Everytime someone gives criticism people think you hate the game or the devs. I’ve been with this game since launch and the forums since before the aquatic pack…. If anyone loves this game it’s me. We’re allowed to criticize it makes the game better.

I think the problem with this pack is that a rainforests pack was expected to be an animal pack since many requested animals are from rainforests, and once again we are left with a very biodiverse theme (like with SA) feeling lackluster because it's just 4 animals, 2 of which are... well, the gibbon and the monitor, 2 animals we didn't really have the need for, but I also get that they had to maintain some consistency with the building theme. That leaves me wondering in what kind of pack we will get the ever-requested coati, new world monkeys and the tree kangaroo? Unless they somehow put the coati and a howler monkey in a drylands pack (they would kinda fit?) or the tree kangaroo in highlands (because of new guinean highlands) I just can't see how we will get them. It just feels really odd and threw off all my expectations.

This is my point. Why are you assuming that Frontier chose the Gibbon based on the meta-wishlist? Doesn't frontier have other sources/tools/reasons to choose a specific animal? These non-supported assumptions are just creating the feeling that frontier is being mean or dumb for not following the meta-wishlist like a believer follows the bible. I love the meta-wishlist but surely too many people are putting way too much faith on it. I still think the devs are capable to take independent decisions from the wishlist.
This wasn't really the point of my post - I don't think I assumed Frontier chose the Gibbon based on the meta-wishlist (I did not even mention Frontier at any point in my post) ; rather, I'm just taking note of the fact that this line-up is pretty much 3 top animals from the wishlist and yet many people (including myself) are a bit disappointed with it, which might seem surprising at first glance, and how it underlined some of the weaknesses in the wishlist.

I can only speak for myself, but after 24 hours I'm pretty happy with this pack. Like, I said before, I am going to trust in the team to have some themes in the works like Forests or Islands that will still deliver on the remaining highly requested animals (Tasmanian devil, tree kangaroo, kiwi, Amazonian animals etc). I cannot get over how good the plants look, especially the ferns. Any temperate, taiga or tropical zoo I make has ferns and brackens and I don't think we've gotten any in dlc/updates yet. I also really do like the build set, which is definitely not the norm for an animal person like me.

I'm really trying to see the bigger picture, rather than viewing the dlc as a standalone thing. It augments the SEA pack and it's criticisms really well; if they made it a bundle for new players it would probably sell quite well.

I'm also happy with all the species. The fossa and red river hog need no explanation, frankly, I don't care that the sloth is the "wrong" species, the monitor is a pretty good "clone" choice and I always wanted the lar gibbon over the siamang (they have a special place in my heart having briefly worked with them in SEA).

I also really like what they've done with the update, and am excited to hear more about the brachiation updates shown in the teaser and screenshots. Figner crossed the orangs will be getting a rework this year!

I'll finish by saying one more thing. Those who have gotten to know me in the community these past 3-4 years know that I will criticize Frontier when I think they deserve it, and I have never understood the idea that the community should be "grateful" for dlc (I'm paying them for it, it's a business transaction etc). So, let me congratulate Frontier on something because I really do think they deserve it. After 3 years, they are still providing free content to this game to improve player experience and in the video game industry that is pretty remarkable. They've also not raised the price of their dlc, despite being hq'd in a country that is currently experiencing pretty terrible inflation. Another British gaming company has not only raised the prices of their dlc, but reduced the content you actually get, but Frontier has kept the price stable in a time when corporations across many industries are engaged in, frankly, blatant price-gouging. I do appreciate that, and I think it should be acknowledged properly. I love that since the Africa pack, they've gotten more and more engaged with the community and taken communication criticism to heart, and that they are still using forum-based feedback on what to add into the updates and dlc. This community could have it a lot worse, I'll say that much!

I think the problem with this pack is that a rainforests pack was expected to be an animal pack since many requested animals are from rainforests, and once again we are left with a very biodiverse theme (like with SA) feeling lackluster because it's just 4 animals, 2 of which are... well, the gibbon and the monitor, 2 animals we didn't really have the need for, but I also get that they had to maintain some consistency with the building theme. That leaves me wondering in what kind of pack we will get the ever-requested coati, new world monkeys and the tree kangaroo? Unless they somehow put the coati and a howler monkey in a drylands pack (they would kinda fit?) or the tree kangaroo in highlands (because of new guinean highlands) I just can't see how we will get them. It just feels really odd and threw off all my expectations.
It can be woodlands (mixed tropical and temperate), and if they really want to bring these animals, they WILL think of a suitable theme, worry not.

I remained very optimistic after Wednesday's stream, which strongly suggested an Islands pack. Fossa is a strong choice. I find all scenery packs disappointing, but I would have been okay with this as an islands pack. The theming is clearly Polynesian/ Papua New Guinea; we should have gotten an exotic endemic addition like a tree-kangaroo, or colorful terrestrial crowned pigeon, which is actually common in walk-through aviaries. Frankly I find Polynesia an odd-theme for a zoo game, especially PZ, because there is no megafauna from this region. The tropical pack we ended up with, a nightmare. As many have said limiting a tropical rainforest pack to just 4 roster slots is such as waste. Does this pack destroy any hope of ever seeing African or South American primates or tropical specimens from New Guinea or New Zealand?

Let's examine what we got. After an excruciating 4.5 month wait we got 4.5 animals, and three of them are just remakes (quick remodel) of previous additions, no new skeleton or animations.
1) Lar Gibbon. Nothing against the Lar gibbon, I prefer it to the Siamang, but we do NOT need two gibbons and three Southeast Asian primates in the game, when we have yet to have a single arboreal African primate or a single Amazonian monkey. Seriously, the Amazon in the largest TROPICAL rainforest in the world and teeming with biodiversity and we still can't even make anything remotely resembling an Amazon section. What are the two most quintessentially Amazonian animals: monkeys and parrots. We have neither. For the Amazon there are Howler monkeys, wooly monkeys, uakari, saki monkeys, titi monkeys, spider monkey, squirrel monkeys, and dozens of marmoset and tamarin species in captivity. For Africa the mantled guerza or any of the diverse Cercopithecus family are obvious choices.
2) Asian Water Monitor. Seriously? Stop with the giant monitor lizards already. And of all the monitors they could pick from a SECOND water monitor? Really. It is barely distinguishable from the Nile water monitor. You have to look at the position of the nostrils to reliably identify the two species! If it had to be a monitor couldn't they at least give us something unique like the arboreal crocodile monitor that it quite visually distinct, and actually from the region they are depicting. But really someone should inform Frontier there is rich world of reptilian diversity beyond crocodylia and Varanus. Sticking with the theme of large tropical aquatic lizards I would have been ecstatic to see the northern caiman lizard (just look at this gorgeous boy). Other aquatic choices include the green basilisk or the Philippine sailfin lizard. Any of the South American Tegus (Salvator sp.) would be great habitat species. Or how about a red-footed tortoise to mix in with the sloth, which is going to leave an amount of unutilized space in the WE. Or they could draw attention to the plight of numerous critically endangered Asian turtles, there are large (Asian forest tortoise) and colorful options (Painted river terrapin).
3) Red River Hog. Another African suid. No conservation value. Meh. I don't personally need anymore suids in the game, but if they are added I would prefer a peccary for diversity.
4) Brown-throated sloth. RUFKM. They had to choose a species that literally cannot be kept alive in captivity? Why not either of the two-toed sloths? I will never understand why a sloth is so popular with this community. There is a reason that sloths are almost never exhibited alone in zoos. They are incredibly boring, poor display animals. Sloths are most commonly exhibited in large tropical free-flight aviaries with lots of vibrant flying birds, or sometimes combined with a more active mammalian species. Had they given us a two-toed sloth plus a marmoset and/or tamarin species for the WE I would be perfectly happy.

Last edited:
This wasn't really the point of my post - I don't think I assumed Frontier chose the Gibbon based on the meta-wishlist (I did not even mention Frontier at any point in my post) ; rather, I'm just taking note of the fact that this line-up is pretty much 3 top animals from the wishlist and yet many people (including myself) are a bit disappointed with it, which might seem surprising at first glance, and how it underlined some of the weaknesses in the wishlist.
It is not really a weakness of the list. It is somehow expression of putting own expectations over the overall View within the forum. Even Top animals of the whole Community are Not wanted by everyone. I mean there will be never the perfect DLC for everyone and everybody should be happy If there is an animal in the pack he really likes. Frontier cannot make everybody happy. That is clear.

For me the Pack is great alone for the integration of the Red River Hog which is on my Top 3. I am also very very happy about the Fossa and the Sloth. I do Not mind so much that it is the "wrong" Sloth. Frontier has chosen popularity over reality and this is okay for me. Lar Gibbon is also nice to have and I expected IT to come to the Game one day as Frontier Likes to give us 2 similar species (Otters, Penguins, ...). Personally I did not need a new Monitor but it is okay, too. There were a Lot of voices Here about giving us a new non-crocodilian Reptile and Here we got it.

Top Bottom