Please fix Powerplay urgently to counter 5C action.

So... we had a focused feedback, we saw the community split in two groups (I don't wanna say which of them was larger, really: I do not care) about the open only matter, but after Zac Antonaci's announcement there's one thing is for sure: any change in Powerplay will not happen soon.

I really do not wanna rant about it, but consider this: it's almost two years that Powerplayers have to struggle with a lot of issues in Powerplay, bugs, bots etc, and 5C is the worst one, what's happened to the Kumo Crew the last few months and what's happening now to the Alliance is simply too much, it's crystal clear that we need some hot-fixes.

But I understand that FDev as a company has some other priorities too of course, so what I ask in here is for a compromise, some really easy to do fixes tha would solve a lot of problems in Powerplay (and would eventually make 5C irrelevant), without changing anything in game mechanics.

1- NO MORE OVERHEAD, HIGHER UPKEEPS
Overhead how it works now is one of the main weapons in the hands of 5C to jeopardize a Power's health and stability: a very bad system with high overlap on already exploited systems will result in a really high neat loss of CCs, and considering the turmoil mechanics that system will stay where it is without any possibility to lose that. Control Systems should then have higher upkeeps, much higher for far away systems, making it mandatory to fortify them to avoid the usual CC loss in upkeep.

2- CHANGE THE PRIORITY ON EXPLOITED SYSTEMS
Right now older control systems have the priority over already exploited systems: when 5C successfully prepare and conquer a system very close to your headquarter (with a really favourable trigger for 5C itself because of how close they usually are), this new Control System has even a lower income than it should, because it can't exploit systems already exploited by an older and farther control system, which is harder to fortify (because of the worse fortification trigger). I think that closer systems should exploit as many systems they can first than farther ones, this would be more practical, and we would have more systems (and consequentially income CCs) covered by lower upkeep and fortification triggers.

3- COMPETITIVE UNDERMINE AND FORTIFICATION TRIGGERS
Right now you can basically deal with a system at the beginning of the cycle and leave it like that without touching it anymore, this is one of the many things that contribute to keep PP stagnant, my proposal is, after the triggers are reached of course, to make the fortification and undermining competitive: if one of the two is 100% higher than the other, the control system will be considered fortified or undermined, making focused attacks possible.

4- VOTES
Right now 5C votes are the most complicated thing to counter: a relatively small group of commanders can turn the tables easily, and some things like the fact that Elite Dangerous has been sold to a very low price and the fact that console players can virtually have infinite accounts (and infinite votes). Even the access to votes doesn't help: 100 merits to have votes permissions are too low, and the votes being weighted on time more than efforts exploits this situation. This time I've got a double proposal about that.
- end preparations a couple of days before the tick and make people votes yes or no about every single preparation in the top 10, of course the ones with more merits have got the priority other the others if the "yes" votes win
- weight the votes differently: after 4 or even 8 weeks people will be able to vote, but only people with rating 3 or above will be able to do so, with rating 3 CMDRs' votes weighted 1, rating 4 weighted 2, rating 5 weighted 5 (becuase to keep rating 5 is frankly more difficult)
This would make, again, 5C pointless

5- POWER MODULES TO TECH-BROKERS (ok, this is optional)
I don't say you've got to simply get rid of Power Modules: but you can at least made them available by Tech-Broker present in certain systems, even HQs systems of every single Power. People would be able to Module-Shop as usual if they want, but give us another way to gain those modules. And yeah: you should unlock every single class of Prismatic Shields, because it shouldn't be easy, but there should be the possibility to do so.

And: that's all. No Open Only (even if I'd love to have that). No Powerplay missions, or overhauls. Simply some tweaks to make 5C useless, to make this game more fair. I'd love to have some response from the Developers this time, Powerplay community endured a lot, we've been patient over any possible reasonable limit, but this single time, please, at least consider this proposal.

About the first point: with no overhead, 5C to hurt other Powers should necessarily prepare vert far away systems, which are more difficult to prepare as a first, and even in the case they are able to ouvote that particular single system to become an active expansion, the trigger would be very easy to oppose, because of the distance itself.

While I understand that you are immersed in your environment, for the rest of us, you should avoid using acronyms in your opening argument.

I didn't understand half of what you wrote because you never defined the acronyms. The writing standard is to write it out long once and put the acronym behind it in parenthesis, ex: Playstation 4 (PS4).

Damn, I'm sorry this is absolutely true.

5C aka fifth column: a group of players that pledge to enemy powers to sabotage their operations, playing for their enemy power in a bad way to basically ruin the efforts of the real players of that Power.

CC aka Command Capital: it's the value of Powerplay, there are positive CC earnings (the base income) and negative ones (overhead, a single number calculated over the number of systems controled by a Power, and the upkeep, which is proportional to the distance from the headquarters of that Power).

To be honest, I don't think I used any other acronym.

No please, let's not talk about Open Only. It's something I'd love too, don't get me wrong, but we need some mathematical tweaks first, easy tweaks, to make 5C simply irrelevant. I really appreciate the support, but I don't want for this thread to become the same old "open vs pvt/solo" thread. Please, really.

No please, let's not talk about Open Only. It's something I'd love too, don't get me wrong, but we need some mathematical tweaks first, easy tweaks, to make 5C simply irrelevant. I really appreciate the support, but I don't want for this thread to become the same old "open vs pvt/solo" thread. Please, really.
I have been told by many people that they want to be able to attack the people that are disrupting their objectives, both in PP and in the BGS. They don't have good rebuttals to:
  • The BGS plays across all platforms but gameplay does not, therefore you cannot directly resolve those actions by killing the other player
  • If you are in a completely different timezone than the opposition and their play time, then you cannot fight because they are not there
  • For PowerPlay, and to a lesser extent, the BGS, you as an individual, can only safeguard one place at a time and cannot see where they are if they are not in your sensor window; if they go elsewhere, your activity does nothing to stop them
  • Peer to Peer Instancing doesn't guarantee an encounter even if they are present in the same system, and lack of normalization in internet connectivity doesn't guarantee the instance stays if you get one
This thread, on the other hand, addresses legitimate problems, and offers legitimate solutions.

It's a great proposal and I agree with all the points, also the last optional point would make a good difference. Some people simply doesn't want to get involved in power play but they do it to get the modules without following directions from the power and because of the actual mathematical rules they could do damage even if they don't want to.

I agree with OP, I would vote for it if it gained momentum as it is way better than the status quo. Ideally though, id want the the entire flash-topic-focussed feedback Powerplay Proposal (part one) implemented (with if necessary the mode-controversy element removed.) The remaining parts of it still deal with 5c, fix (almost all) PMF interests conflicting with Powers, & generally restore sanity & dynamism to Powerplay.

Last edited:
The very first proposal was better than everything we ever hoped for, but we've got to be realistic: that's never gonna happen, and what's even worse nothing that would change Powerplay in its fundamental idea is ever gonna happen too.

So we just have to compromise (again) and try to request at least some tweaks that will make 5C simply incapable to really harm any other Power, basically keeping Powerplay the same game as it is right now. I think that these 5 things that I proposed are both doable in a relatively short time and do not change anything in Powerplay, they just solve problems that we are forced to deal with in the total uninterest of FDev.

Again: we are not asking for some fancy new feature, that would be stupid, we're asking for fixes for a game mechanic proposed by the developers that, right now, simply doesn't work as intended.

And we've been really patient. Even too much, I'd dare to say.

[...]
This thread, on the other hand, addresses legitimate problems, and offers legitimate solutions.

this ^

It's a great proposal and I agree with all the points, also the last optional point would make a good difference. Some people simply doesn't want to get involved in power play but they do it to get the modules without following directions from the power and because of the actual mathematical rules they could do damage even if they don't want to.

and this ^

There is some serious effort put into powerplay, it is about time to give it justice, to limit the abuse of game mechanics and reward the commitment for one own power.

So... we had a focused feedback, we saw the community split in two groups (I don't wanna say which of them was larger, really: I do not care) about the open only matter, but after Zac Antonaci's announcement there's one thing is for sure: any change in Powerplay will not happen soon.

I really do not wanna rant about it, but consider this: it's almost two years that Powerplayers have to struggle with a lot of issues in Powerplay, bugs, bots etc, and 5C is the worst one, what's happened to the Kumo Crew the last few months and what's happening now to the Alliance is simply too much, it's crystal clear that we need some hot-fixes.

But I understand that FDev as a company has some other priorities too of course, so what I ask in here is for a compromise, some really easy to do fixes tha would solve a lot of problems in Powerplay (and would eventually make 5C irrelevant), without changing anything in game mechanics.

1- NO MORE OVERHEAD, HIGHER UPKEEPS
Overhead how it works now is one of the main weapons in the hands of 5C to jeopardize a Power's health and stability: a very bad system with high overlap on already exploited systems will result in a really high neat loss of CCs, and considering the turmoil mechanics that system will stay where it is without any possibility to lose that. Control Systems should then have higher upkeeps, much higher for far away systems, making it mandatory to fortify them to avoid the usual CC loss in upkeep.

2- CHANGE THE PRIORITY ON EXPLOITED SYSTEMS
Right now older control systems have the priority over already exploited systems: when 5C successfully prepare and conquer a system very close to your headquarter (with a really favourable trigger for 5C itself because of how close they usually are), this new Control System has even a lower income than it should, because it can't exploit systems already exploited by an older and farther control system, which is harder to fortify (because of the worse fortification trigger). I think that closer systems should exploit as many systems they can first than farther ones, this would be more practical, and we would have more systems (and consequentially income CCs) covered by lower upkeep and fortification triggers.

3- COMPETITIVE UNDERMINE AND FORTIFICATION TRIGGERS
Right now you can basically deal with a system at the beginning of the cycle and leave it like that without touching it anymore, this is one of the many things that contribute to keep PP stagnant, my proposal is, after the triggers are reached of course, to make the fortification and undermining competitive: if one of the two is 100% higher than the other, the control system will be considered fortified or undermined, making focused attacks possible.

4- VOTES
Right now 5C votes are the most complicated thing to counter: a relatively small group of commanders can turn the tables easily, and some things like the fact that Elite Dangerous has been sold to a very low price and the fact that console players can virtually have infinite accounts (and infinite votes). Even the access to votes doesn't help: 100 merits to have votes permissions are too low, and the votes being weighted on time more than efforts exploits this situation. This time I've got a double proposal about that.
- end preparations a couple of days before the tick and make people votes yes or no about every single preparation in the top 10, of course the ones with more merits have got the priority other the others if the "yes" votes win
- weight the votes differently: after 4 or even 8 weeks people will be able to vote, but only people with rating 3 or above will be able to do so, with rating 3 CMDRs' votes weighted 1, rating 4 weighted 2, rating 5 weighted 5 (becuase to keep rating 5 is frankly more difficult)
This would make, again, 5C pointless

5- POWER MODULES TO TECH-BROKERS (ok, this is optional)
I don't say you've got to simply get rid of Power Modules: but you can at least made them available by Tech-Broker present in certain systems, even HQs systems of every single Power. People would be able to Module-Shop as usual if they want, but give us another way to gain those modules. And yeah: you should unlock every single class of Prismatic Shields, because it shouldn't be easy, but there should be the possibility to do so.

And: that's all. No Open Only (even if I'd love to have that). No Powerplay missions, or overhauls. Simply some tweaks to make 5C useless, to make this game more fair. I'd love to have some response from the Developers this time, Powerplay community endured a lot, we've been patient over any possible reasonable limit, but this single time, please, at least consider this proposal.

Could not agree more.

Edit.
One comment on the Playstation CMDRS (I am playing ED on PS4) being able to run an unlimited amount of accounts might technically be correct but don't overestimate the effect.
Bot programs - at least to my knowledge - are not running on PS4. Hence every account needs to be set up, developed (you won't run a powerplay account in a Sidewinder) and maintained (ship with 60t cargo load the minimum to maintain rank 2). Consider a minimum of 30 minutes per week to maintain a PS4 powerplay account to be able voting. Hence it's possible but requires some effort as well.
I doubt - but can't rule it out of course - anybody out there is running two dozens of accounts on PS4 just for the sake of being able to 5C another power.

Additional quick-fix required (I already placed a separate suggestion thread):
Fix the mindless merit collection mechanic which requires repetitive non-value adding fast-tracking/collecting combined with an extremely slow load/unload mechanic.
FDev already proved they can do it better with delivery/source & return cargo load or simply the commodity market cargo load/unload mechanic.

That would save a lot of playing time as well.

Last edited:
Problem with multiple accounts is that after 16 weeks if you have (let's say) 3 sidewinder accounts for every enemy power, you've got 15 votes to manage against them.

Imagine 10 players doing the same thing, it's 150 votes, which are not casual votes, difficult to manage, they could be used to actively snipe even the larger Powers, as happened for Mahon in the last cycles, for example.

Bots are more a problem in 5C preparations, we saw some very strangely regular progressions by our 5C last-day preparations, and I think other Powerplay communities saw the same even in longer times, during the whole week: we know that FDev aknowledged the matter, but it's evident the problem hasn't been solved.

I'm positive that these tweaks would not change Powerplay, it would be the usual grind-fest we both love and hate, but at least we'd solve what it's killing it.

EDIT

And this game has been sold really cheap multiple times, and being elite not so resouces-needy on PCs, you can run multiple instances without any problem at all.

I still bet such a simple thing will get EONS before it gets seen ingame, I can understand the need of re-implementing PP, but, IN THE MEANWHILE, this could be a temporary workaround and tipically "stop the leak".

I dunno, looks like fried air everytime some good suggestions hit the forums

Top Bottom