Please make Elite Stars (prestige) ranks retroactive.

It's taking back the achievement already rewarded. It's taking medals away from war veterans. It's taking away the feeling of a status gained.
I know not every player cares about the ranks, but those won't care about either system, old or new.

If they want to add more levels of the Elite status, then let them, but include the grind already made. Starting anew is just a slap to all the veteran players, who invested their time in achieving something.

Why does time put into a game require honouring? Anyone can put time into a game, it's not a learned skill that particularly deserves recognition. The ranking system was shafted the moment they split it into three, they should have kept the Elite rank separate and made each of the others worth the 33% percent of it AND required actual skill to earn those ranks rather just hours and hours of grind.

People put to much value on time IN a game, yes, YOUR time is valuable, it's a finite resource but choosing to put a lot of it into a game is your choice and doesn't make you more special than someone who only plays a few hours a month or whatever.
I mostly agree, and I'd have been happy if the Elite ranks stood as they were, unchanged. But the moment FDEV decided to add more ranks on top, it became an issue. Veterans that would like the new ranks now have to invest the same time as new players that want to get there, all the time they've already spent and that would have earned them the rank is tossed into the bin.

It's a strange and annoying thing for FD to have done. Would be far, far better - in my opinion - if they gave you an in-game option setting where you could choose to have your CMDR aligned to the new ranks or to the old.

I've played this game since Jan. '15, was pleased to get the three Elite ranks but can't ever imagine that I'll be playing that much to do each rank five times over.
Besides, now they've headed down this slippery slope I suppose the next thing will be Elite with 10 stars, then 15, etc.

EPltCIf.gif

I don't see any reason to pursue them personally since they're entirely cosmetic and there for bragging rights and nothing else. No bigger Mission payouts, unlocking special Ship kits or Paintjobs, getting ARX rewards etc. so useless in every way.

As for not getting straight Elite V and "not feeling honored" as a Veteran of 6 years from the get go see my above sentence and how much I care about those new layers.

I mostly agree, and I'd have been happy if the Elite ranks stood as they were, unchanged. But the moment FDEV decided to add more ranks on top, it became an issue. Veterans that would like the new ranks now have to invest the same time as new players that want to get there, all the time they've already spent and that would have earned them the rank is tossed into the bin.
I agree with you that the new addons are a bad idea, I was a loud complainer when they added the CQC rank without properly integrating it into the main game

I think, however that we will see more and more ranks added for as long as the game is being updated, younger players seem to like to collect ranks, medals and achievements.

Last edited:
For these new Elite ranks to mean anything then they must include everything our Commander has done since he stepped in his first Sidewinder. Just because they became Elite doesn't mean they stopped doing what they were good at. @Arthur Tolmie please check this thread and take the feedback to the office and get our Commanders recognised for ALL their achievements and not just part of their lives.

I agree with you that the new addons are a bad idea, I was a loud complainer when they added the CQC rank without properly integrating it into the main game

I think, however that we will see more and more ranks added for as long as the game is being updated, younger players seem to like to collect ranks, medals and achievements.
I doubt this change really had players in mind, regardless of experience. It feels more like an attempt to encourage more grinding but hits the wrong target. They could easily have added reputation badges like 'Killed an elite conda', 'Killed 1000 pirates', 'Visited Sag A', 'Visited Colonia' and achieved a similar goal without breaking the existing lore or devaluing the existing ranks. Even better, there could have been new ship gameplay with new careers, e.g. bodyguard, smuggler, scavenger, pirate.

Last edited:
Literally unplayable! ;)
Not sure if it's your intention, but this reads like a strawman argument.

Nobody has said the game is unplayable due to this concern. There are plenty of issues that do not make the game unplayable; such as broken skins, invisible planets, poor system lighting or abundant POIs across the galaxy. However, each of these lessons enjoyment and detracts from the game. Taking a look at Steam, Odyssey has a rating of 32% whereas the original Elite Dangerous has a rating of 77%. Although technically playable, the game might not last long without support.

Several commenters in this thread have put forward constructive suggestions that would improve the situation and would not require 6 months to implement. Feedback was given during the paid Alpha but no response or comment was forthcoming, the current environment and frustration is a result.

Yes. They value your time.

Because it looks good on their steamchart management reports for their shareholders.

Go grind again, and buy some ARX CMDR!

;)
Exploiting your most loyal(longer playing) player's psychology for profit. That sounds like something that should be against the TOS.

FDEV: You did NOT make the game better by adding ranks. If you want to make more people play, make the game better. You're perfectly capable. This game has gotten better and better in the nearly 5 years I've been playing.

It's more than applying a new "prestige" rank retrospectively. It's a seismic shift in the whole doctrine and philosophy of the game. It guts the entire lore, player memories and experiences and reduces it to a meaningless grind with no reward, no additional gameplay and seemingly not care for what it does to the legacy of this game and those that preceded it. The Novella that started it all, amazing and moving fiction like "the silver comet" are just.. castrated of any meaning or.. well anything

My main has 33 weeks, 5 days, 20h and 45 mins of play time. This change has destroyed my desire to play on that account, just in case I have to look at this anathema forever. If this addition was to motivate players to continue to play, then it has backfired.. Catastrophically..

This has got to be the most mind boggling thread I've read in a long time. I was always aware that this game has a high proportion of 'collectors' amongst its players but this has been a real insight into the pschology that drives them.
- not a pro or con comment, just a personal observation. Carry on. (y)

Top Bottom