PLEASE MAKE POWERPLAY IN "OPEN ONLY"

And as I've repeatedly shown you, ED has grown up while Powerplay has remained the same. Powerplay is now living in the shadow of more agile and comprehensive features. By making it Open only you are not losing anything.
False - you keep making statements that are based on pure opinion that is not actually supported by the facts.

NONE of the changes to ED since release would justify making PP Open Only, and Open Only is not required to improve PP.

While still technically PvP, flying defensively and escaping a player attack isn’t quite the same as a typical PvP engagement.

There’s min/maxing an FDL for the sole purpose of fighting, then there’s building a moderately defended ship that’s just durable enough survive contact with players— the latter is hardly a feat, possible even without engineering, or even low level modifications.

Forced PvP in terms of OOPP cargo runs(one of the main concerns among non-combat Powerplayers)= Encouraging competent builds and piloting/escape skills.

Hardly the end of the world, if you ask me, as it’s laughably easy to escape danger in today’s game, all that’s required is a little effort on the pilot’s end.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
NPCs in Powerplay are weak because they are farmed. Players act as gatherers, either generating merits or moving them. Open Only would then provide roles for players to either protect these guys or hunt them down.

Believe it or not, there are players and whole communities / Power communities out there dedicated to helping you live because its in their interest.
Believe it or not, playing as one of a group of ships reliant on the protection of others does not appear to be much "fun".

.... then there are the latent trust issues - given how outspoken I have been regarding PvP in general - "friendly fire" is a thing....

If I were to participate in Powerplay in Open I'd do so with an altCMDR - and no-one would know that it was me.

False - you keep making statements that are based on pure opinion that is not actually supported by the facts.

False except for the thousands of words I wrote detailing facts like comparing game loops, videos, etc. You post nothing except the words 'moot / false / etc' like an underwatered Groot.

NONE of the changes to ED since release would justify making PP Open Only, and Open Only is not required to improve PP.

Without Open to broaden Powerplay, it simply becomes a weak duplication of the BGS and Squadrons. From what FD have offered us, Open is the only part of the proposal that actually makes Powerplay different. Otherwise, whats the point of it?

This was attempted in part but nerfed to the ground because it was abused- killed commanders are worth 1 merit, and Powerplay piracy met a similar fate when it was misused.

Thats not to say inclusion would be unwelcome- its just any addition would need to be bulletproof.

LOL, of course, because competitive players get very competitive and perform underhanded tactics, like 5Cing or abusing PvP mechanics.

And making it open only, you're just going to attract even more competitive types, and we know full well how far competitive PvPers will go to get an edge. Therefore in addition to going Open Only, FD will have to make some solid changes to PP to cut down on possible routes of exploiting the mechanics.

Dude, you make a lot of good arguments at times, but i can't believe you tried this one. We are losing choice. The choice to play PP should we be interested in the mode we prefer. You might not think it, but you must know by now many people do think this.

I do actually back that up with reasoning though.

Dude, you make a lot of good arguments at times, but i can't believe you tried this one. We are losing choice. The choice to play PP should we be interested in the mode we prefer. You might not think it, but you must know by now many people do think this.
The only choice you're losing out on is being able to affect someone else without being affected yourself.

Now, the people you are working against have a chance to stop you.

You're not losing out on anything at all, besides the occasional rebuy. Which is not that big of a deal.

LOL, of course, because competitive players get very competitive and perform underhanded tactics, like 5Cing or abusing PvP mechanics.

And making it open only, you're just going to attract even more competitive types, and we know full well how far competitive PvPers will go to get an edge. Therefore in addition to going Open Only, FD will have to make some solid changes to PP to cut down on possible routes of exploiting the mechanics.

That they have with the rest of the proposal. Most PvP guys I know want a varied challenge to test their skills in a variety of ways.

All my arguments here are from the perspective of the proposals. I don't expect anything more than them to be done so thats my focus. With the limited features Sandro / FD have to play with its the best bet for its outlay.
Hmm, that's odd.

I might be getting the wrong impression but it seems to me that being engaged in this argument for so long, the argument has become more important than the result of meaningful PvP mechanics in a Powerplay environment. An argument that also won't result in OOPP, since talk here is cheap and has little consequence of adding anything to an already known subject. You think FDev will read this and think, "Hmmm, the 748th time the argument is made has really convinced us"? You think that's the best bet?

Well then, in that case I don't wish to intrude in your constructive back and forth, and wish you guys the best of luck. And when this thread doesn't deliver, there's always the next one.

Seriously though, I think you would see a lot more of your player base return if you made this change.
What kind of difference would it honestly make? it would at best get more people in open, but the chance of meeting them is just as random as before?

Why would players return? only those that are interested in PvP would be the one's returning, because that is the only thing it has a chance of changing, so already there your argument begins to break up.
Why does it need to be open only anyway? it is run via background mechanics, killing players is an extremely inefficient way of using powerplay unless something has drastically changed which i have missed, so you might end up creating a situation where more people are searching to kill other players then actually using the system itself, and thus losing the powerplay.

Hmm, that's odd.

I might be getting the wrong impression but it seems to be that being engaged in this argument for so long, the argument has become more important than the result of meaningful PvP mechanics in a Powerplay environment. An argument that also won't result in OOPP, since talk here is cheap and has little consequence of adding anything to an already known subject. You think FDev will read this and think, "Hmmm, the 748th time the argument is made has really convinced us"? You think that's the best bet?

Well then, in that case I don't wish to intrude in your constructive back and forth, and wish you guys the best of luck. And when this thread doesn't deliver, there's always the next one.

I can only articulate my thoughts from what I know from my years in Powerplay. I play the feature, I support it every day and I want it to be better.

You mean the thousands of repetitions of the same tired fallacious argument(s). :rolleyes:

Without Open to broaden Powerplay, it simply becomes a weak duplication of the BGS and Squadrons. From what FD have offered us, Open is the only part of the proposal that actually makes Powerplay different. Otherwise, whats the point of it?
False - PP provides territorial expansion/control gameplay, technically the BGS and Squadrons do not regardless of how you try to paint it.

Open Only is NOT required to improve the mechanics, and arguably would not do so for many of us. The Open Only argument is heavily flawed since instancing with the opposition is far from guaranteed for reasons already spelled out thus would not actually provide the alleged gains and would penalise non-Open players.

This seems like the beginning of a legit proposal. It's a compromise, but if we want change, people are going to have to be willing to compromise.
If you want change, I am going to have to be willing to compromise? In other words: You want something and if I don't like it; tough.

You mean the thousands of repetitions of the same tired fallacious argument. :rolleyes:

If you say so. At least I actually set out my thinking and back it up. All I get from you is....nothing.

False - PP provides territorial expansion/control gameplay, technically the BGS and Squadrons do not regardless of how you try to paint it.

As opposed to the territorial expansion / control gameplay in the BGS, co-ordinated though Squadrons these days? Erm. OK.

Open Only is NOT required to improve the mechanics, and arguably would not do so for many of us. The Open Only argument is heavily flawed since instancing with the opposition is far from guaranteed for reasons already spelled out thus would not actually provide the alleged gains and would penalise non-Open players.

Well, its the only feature on offer in the proposal that moves Powerplay on from the raging sucess its been so far.

Hmm, that's odd.

I might be getting the wrong impression but it seems to me that being engaged in this argument for so long, the argument has become more important than the result of meaningful PvP mechanics in a Powerplay environment. An argument that also won't result in OOPP, since talk here is cheap and has little consequence of adding anything to an already known subject. You think FDev will read this and think, "Hmmm, the 748th time the argument is made has really convinced us"? You think that's the best bet?

Fancy seeing you here...

:D

2fcro7.jpg

Top Bottom