PLEASE MAKE POWERPLAY IN "OPEN ONLY"

Here a better idea. Next time use the search feature and see if this has been discussed before. And for your idea. HELL NO. I don't want to be FORCED INTO THE OPEN and be attack by lame PvP.
I'm aware that's its been discussed before. For the sake of a better game, I'm continuing to discuss it.

@OP: This has been discussed before - ED has been sold as a mode agnostic game (i.e. no single feature is explicitly tied to a specific mode) and it should remain that way forever. Your idea flies in the face of that and ignores the fact that regardless of mode/platform choice you are anything but guaranteed to instance with anyone working against your personal universe goals.
It should remain this way forever? But that's not what this game does. It releases patches and new content that change everything about the game. Why does it do that? To attempt to provide the user with a better experience. That's the only important question, what will bring the best experience to the most people.

Last edited:
Those seeking to remove access to content for some players rather obviously don't seem to care....

.... that we all bought access to the feature (as it forms part of the base game that no-one can play the game without).

Am I mistaken or isn't the only reason they wouldn't have access to online content is because they refuse to pay the internet fee for the console? How many people actually buy a console and don't use it on the internet? This has to be a pretty small segment of the population. Just give them the PP modules and be done with it. Why should the few in the minority dictate policy for the majority?

It's not just them, of course - it's also those players on any platform, regardless of whether they have multi-player access or not, who currently choose to engage in Powerplay but choose not to do so in Open - which remains their choice as there's no requirement to play in Open to engage in any game feature.
Well, thats what this discussion is about. The rule that there's no requirement to engage in any game feature. My request to FDEV is to consider changing this rule which would be a part of redefining PP and how it works. I think there are many other people that would agree with this request.

Seriously though, I think you would see a lot more of your player base return leave if you made this change.

FTFY
I doubt it. Most likely they'll just continue NOT playing PowerPlay just like they already aren't. Open PowerPlay would have near zero impact on anyone other than the people specifically interested in it, for whom it would provide a tremendous benefit.

Anyone claiming they'd be willing to quit over something like this are most likely fibbing or were on their way out anyway.

Lestat

Banned
I'm aware that's its been discussed before. For the sake of a better game, I'm continuing to discuss it.
So your answer is you going to have people act like Broken records and have them repost post what they post before. All because you did not take the time to do a little research and read the older topics. Which could have answered your question before even making a new topic.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I guess we can agree to disagree on that. I don't see how it's shared when we don't play together.
It's shared between the three game modes (and platforms) - every single player affects it. Players don't need to share instances to share the galaxy....
It should remain this way forever? But that's not what this game does. It releases patches and new content that change everything about the game. Why does it do that? To attempt to provide the user with a better experience. That's the only important question, what will bring the best experience to the most people.
A decision as fundamental as "is PvP optional in this game" very probably will remain this way.

At to "what will bring the best experience to the most people" - Frontier are "well aware" that the majority of players don't get involved in PvP....
Am I mistaken or isn't the only reason they wouldn't have access to online content is because they refuse to pay the internet fee for the console? How many people actually buy a console and don't use it on the internet? This has to be a pretty small segment of the population. Just give them the PP modules and be done with it. Why should the few in the minority dictate policy for the majority?
Are the majority of players asking for Powerplay to be made Open Only - or is it just another "pretty small segment of the population" that is making that demand?
Well, thats what this discussion is about. The rule that there's no requirement to engage in any game feature. My request to FDEV is to consider changing this rule which would be a part of redefining PP and how it works. I think there are many other people that would agree with this request.
Just as there are many others who don't agree with this request.

And for the sake of keeping the game enjoyable in all areas for all, i will continue to oppose this idea, or at least not without some caveats.

Assuming you haven't seen my opinion on this topic before, then there is a scenario where i would accept open only PP, and that would be a complete disconnect of it from PG/solo along with all impact it can have on PG/solo, and that includes the requirement to flip systems to make them require less CC to control.

If its going to be an open only exclusive feature, then it should have no meaning or impact on any other mode.

Then the OOPPers can wave their e-ps in the air as much as they want, and PG/solo players can sit back and say "No idea what you are talking about mate, has no impact on me"

However, i would still rather FD didn't go down this road, because that is not the game i bought and its not the game i want.

I think FD should look for alternate solutions to improve PP for ALL players, regardless of mode, to make it interesting and engaging. If they do that, there will be more people playing PP in all modes, therefore those looking for direct PvP will have plenty of opportunities for that while everyone else can enjoy the feature without the need to kowtow to the demands of a vocal minority who just want to blow other players up.

And for the sake of keeping the game enjoyable in all areas for all, i will continue to oppose this idea, or at least not without some caveats.

Assuming you haven't seen my opinion on this topic before, then there is a scenario where i would accept open only PP, and that would be a complete disconnect of it from PG/solo along with all impact it can have on PG/solo, and that includes the requirement to flip systems to make them require less CC to control.

If its going to be an open only exclusive feature, then it should have no meaning or impact on any other mode.

Then the OOPPers can wave their e-ps in the air as much as they want, and PG/solo players can sit back and say "No idea what you are talking about mate, has no impact on me"

However, i would still rather FD didn't go down this road, because that is not the game i bought and its not the game i want.

I think FD should look for alternate solutions to improve PP for ALL players, regardless of mode, to make it interesting and engaging. If they do that, there will be more people playing PP in all modes, therefore those looking for direct PvP will have plenty of opportunities for that while everyone else can enjoy the feature without the need to kowtow to the demands of a vocal minority who just want to blow other players up.
I agree but add on to the OO conditions making any modules currently locked behind PP available to everyone by other means.

I agree but add on to the OO conditions making any modules currently locked behind PP available to everyone by other means.

Yeah, its a possibility i think. I mean, most people who want those modules just join PP to get them anyway and swtich sides.

Still even if it was locked behind open only, easy enough even in an open only environment just to pick a quiet time to do the 2 runs required then sit back and wait to claim. The other option would be stop PP modules working in PG/solo, after all, PP removed should be PP removed. That might cause some screeching amongst certain quarters, including the OOPP proponents who pop into PG/solo only to discover their prismatic shields are not working... that would be funny as hell. I mean, its no secert that most OOPP propoents are not adverse to dipping into PG/solo when it suits them.

Still even if it was locked behind open only, easy enough even in an open only environment just to pick a quiet time to do the 2 runs required then sit back and wait to claim. The other option would be stop PP modules working in PG/solo, after all, PP removed should be PP removed.
A bad idea IMO - the whole OO argument for ANY part of gameplay should basically be ignored by FD as far as ED is concerned. The design decision to make ED mode-agnostic/mode-neutral is too fundamental for FD to back-track on it now IMO.

A bad idea IMO - the whole OO argument for ANY part of gameplay should basically be ignored by FD as far as ED is concerned. The design decision to make ED mode-agnostic/mode-neutral is too fundamental for FD to back-track on it now IMO.

Well, i agree, but i'm going with a "what if" scenario.

Please make PP open only, or add some other way to have meaningful PvP. I strongly believe that because fighting other players is much much more demanding, it should be also rewarded. Something like PvP only combat zones where winning has bigger impact on universe (whether its PP or BGS - I dont care) than the regular CZ

As powerplay stands at the moment it is pointless to have it in all three modes. It should either become open only if it stays as it if or changed and become fully integrated into the BGS and turn it into PvE with occasional PvP if you want experience like the BGS is. I prefer the integration method myself, but I am biased.

Well, i agree, but i'm going with a "what if" scenario.
If we are going with "what if" then I would put the following scenario forward
  1. Current PP locked modules moved to Human Tech Brokers - those that already gained the relevant module via PP participation would have the module automatically unlocked
  2. PP-module benefits changed to a substantial discount on said modules for the duration of subscription
  3. PP changed to be independent of BGS (does not effect nor is effected by)
  4. PP related NPCs do not spawn outside of Open if PP is restricted to Open
  5. PP references completely removed from non-Open player UIs
  6. PP-Alternative mechanics added for non-Open players

1. Current PP locked modules moved to Human Tech Brokers - those that already gained the relevant module via PP participation would have the module automatically unlocked
  2. PP-module benefits changed to a substantial discount on said modules for the duration of subscription

Pretty much what i've suggested in the past, although 6 is interesting. They could add an alternate terrotiral game called PurePlay, which is 100% PvE mechanics, but better than Powerplay :D

So your answer is you going to have people act like Broken records and have them repost post what they post before. All because you did not take the time to do a little research and read the older topics. Which could have answered your question before even making a new topic.

My answer is to continue to bring this discussion up because that's all people can do to affect change, speak up. This original post has nothing to do with not doing research.

1 is already in the proposal as is.

3 is almost- the only footprint between the BGS and PP in the proposal would be control systems

5 is inferred (or that you are warned when swapping about merits / cargo held)

6 is called the BGS

Top Bottom