Please reduce the weight of your Mining NERF

Yes, that solitary act of mapping a body is very risk low but getting there and getting back in one piece is not.

We can certainly have that discussion, sure. Of course in the context, whatever "risk" this entrails is certainly less than mining, yes? Unless you're exploring with "tasty cargo" or decide to play with Thargoids or something.

How much exploring have you done?
Enough. Where exactly are you going with this??

I have some 500+ "efficiently mapped" planets in my codex and I certainly had more that were not efficiently mapped when I was newer/drunk etc etc.

Of course I already know that you asked me that so that no matter WHAT my answer was, it would be not sufficient. You aren't very subtle lol

Enough. Where exactly are you going with this??

I have some 500+ "efficiently mapped" planets in my codex and I certainly had more that were not efficiently mapped when I was newer/drunk etc etc.

Of course I already know that you asked me that so that no matter WHAT my answer was, it would be not sufficient. You aren't very subtle lol
Yeah, it wasn’t a conspiracy to trip you up, it was to try to understand your experience in exploration.

There is very real risk of your ship becoming damaged over time when you head far out. Of course the further you go, the further away you are from help. Neutron Stars, as you may know, frazzle your FSD, so you can be up a gum tree, 10,000ly from Sol.

There is risk in losing your ship when you travel far. That is just a fact.

Yeah, it wasn’t a conspiracy to trip you up, it was to try to understand your experience in exploration.

There is very real risk of your ship becoming damaged over time when you head far out. Of course the further you go, the further away you are from help. Neutron Stars, as you may know, frazzle your FSD, so you can be up a gum tree, 10,000ly from Sol.

Don't forget the risks associated in landing on planets if you also do that out in the black.

He had a great teacher ;)

Har har.

Still don't get where this is all going. There's no "risk" in exploring outside of poor preparation/planning. There's no outside forces out of your control. Mind you in my statement, because I know people are looking to pounce on anything at this point, I am NOT including landing on high-G planets as that's not a credit-based activity so in the context of this debate, I've thrown it out.

I'll say this: If I can map over 100 planets for credits as a complete noob in a poorly-built shieldless Viper Mk IV with zero engineering and barely a clue of what I'm doing while not dying a single time? There can't be much "risk" to this activity.

Not using Neutron boosts reduces that risk (which is low to begin with) a lot.

No that's honestly such a silly number someone threw out. I've mined enough to know that's just not true.

For those who say I'm wrong, post your video. I want to see it for myself.

What is your average?

What do you think is a good rate of income for a low risk, low effort activity? How do you think that should compare to higher risk, higher effort activities such as combat and piracy?

I'll say this: If I can map over 100 planets for credits as a complete noob in a poorly-built shieldless Viper Mk IV with zero engineering and barely a clue of what I'm doing while not dying a single time? There can't be much "risk" to this activity.

Well if you're doing it in an unengineered viper with a max jump range of 11ly then you'd be lucky to touch the edges of the bubble.

Get back to us when you're cruising about Beagle point in your stock viper about exploration risks.

Mind you in my statement, because I know people are looking to pounce on anything at this point,
Get over yourself, I’m discussing the game, stop deciding my motives And making them sinister.
I'll say this: If I can map over 100 planets for credits as a complete noob in a poorly-built shieldless Viper Mk IV with zero engineering and barely a clue of what I'm doing while not dying a single time?
You’re probably doing that in the safe confines of the Bubble where help is available on hand when you need it.
I am NOT including landing on high-G planets as that's not a credit-based activity so in the context of this debate, I've thrown it out.
You said exploration, now you want to define that to exclude that what doesn’t fit your stance. You could narrow exploration down to just ‘jumping from one system to another’. come on, play fair.

What is your average?

What do you think is a good rate of income for a low risk, low effort activity? How do you think that should compare to higher risk, higher effort activities such as combat and piracy?
Hard to say. Codex says I've made some 500+ million credits from mining. This was exclusively done in a Cutter, laser mining for Platinum. I just know it took a serious effort and a lot longer than an hour or so to fill up a Cutter. And yes, this was done in pristine rings using hotspots, prospecting like a madman, using tons of limpets etc etc.

For me it's not about the credits but the sheer boredom of it. But I do believe the mining nerf was excessive because core mining was beaten to a pulp. Laser mining takes the least skill, least equipment, doesn't require precise positioning etc etc - and yet it's the credit king. Something is wrong with that imo.

Well if you're doing it in an unengineered viper with a max jump range of 11ly then you'd be lucky to touch the edges of the bubble.

Get back to us when you're cruising about Beagle point in your stock viper about exploration risks.

I am not doing it in that ship any longer, I made that clear. I mean, that's pretty obvious isn't it? Do you enjoy this crap or something?

I could easily get to wherever and back in an Exploraconda or Phantom without dying, I just have more immediate/entertaining goals. I don't stay in the bubble because of "risk", it's just that I don't find there's all that much to do in the game outside of it.

Some people LOVE exploring and it's a legitimate function of the game, and I'm totally fine with it earning whatever credits it does. The entire point of bringing it up, was to refute that someone's statement that mining must be fine because of "low risk". Which is arguable imo.

Top Bottom