Please remove the 256 species limit

Hello,

I am writing this message because, simply put, I would like the 256 habitat species limit to be increased to a greater amount. For those not in the know, the game has a hard-coded limit of 256 habitat species. If more are added, the game starts removing animals alphabetically and by official release order

Thus, I would like to ask if Frontier could increase the species limit to a greater number such as 2048 or 4096. I'm aware there's no way the game can run with this many species but I think such an obscene size is good for future-proofing.

This also ties into my idea for smaller DLC's between the big 4 we get every year. However, since this is intended for animals that are fairly samey (think of the species most-often complained about in DLC threads), I cannot recommend this be taken unless the species number is increased.

Last edited:
If on the off-chance that a developer is actually reading this thread, this, please, 100%. The limit for species in Planet Zoo wasn't always there, and I was able to have a zoo filled to the brim with some really awesome additions. I understand that modding really isn't a thing that developers and creators really talk to each other about, but this limit will only get more and more constricting as time goes on, and having built in so many projects where I have upwards of hundreds of new species installed at once, I fear for the future where these projects leave me to build without animals actually installed or placed ingame as the species limit starts to cut off animals starting from Aardvark and from there on. Even if the limit was doubled and brought up to 1024, or even 512, if it's even possible, it would be such a relief from our end without needing to worry about adding "too many species". I thank Frontier for even allowing us to continue on with modding in the first place, but if there's anything that I can ask for in hopes of a Christmas wish, addressing this limit would be number one on that list. Even I alone, having made well over a few hundred animals, can't have all of them installed at once due to the limit. For the sheer humor of it, I'd love it if I could, but unfortunately this limit still prevents us from doing so. I appreciate any consideration put into this, truly and deeply from the bottom of my heart. The team for Planet Zoo has done so much for us already, and I hate to ask for one more thing, but this is it, and would be something not only I, but so many players now and in the future would be so thankful for.

Animals mods have ofthen been the way to get certain subspecies or animals one wishes were in the game but arnt yet (till they are) to still get your dream roster. I fully approve of atleast raising the limit.
The modding community does a great job helping the game stay lively and fun without any harm.

Agreed. If you haven't already, FUNKe made a really good video essay on the importance of game modding, and how it keeps game communities alive after official support ends (And in this case, profits for frontier too :p ). We have modding, but with this limit it's reached a standstill, increasing it to say 4 times maybe, so 1024 would solve this problem for sure.

100% agree on this. Modding is a essential part of PZ community and removing the species limit or increasing to a number over 1000 would help modders and people who use mods imporve their experience. It would also be a great investment to the community for the life span of the game and modding.

Last edited:
I don't use mods and I endorse this. The ZT2 community was active for over a decade largely thanks to moders keeping up the interest and drawing new players in. I want official support and updates for as long as possible, but once that ends the community will keep this game going for a long, long, long time if given the opportunity.

I would like to bump this and respectfully ask other people to show their support if they care to as well. This issue continues to ring in our subsection of the community and alleviating it would have no negative effect on the community or gameplay experience, and beyond that, would henceforth be able to benefit Frontier as well for sustaining interest in this game. I truly hope 1.12 is the update we will see this fixed.

Don't currently use mods (I might when support has ended) and I'm hoping that eventually the might have some modding support tools like Planet Coaster. So this would make no immediate difference to me but as asked I am lending my support because I can completely see how this would be a big deal for the community long term. Bring on more species I say!

Top Bottom