Please remove the 256 species limit

It makes my heart so full when I see people who don't use mods, and those that religiously use them, come together in support of this. I understand that sometimes the two groups may be at odds with each other at times, but I am so happy to see unison when it comes to this issue. If you're even strolling by and see this post, please lend as much support as you can. I hope to make a video on this issue soon, but for the time being, please voice your support for this topic. It's for the good of the Planet (Zoo).
Couldn't have said it better myself. I love this game and I'd love to see it prosper as long as possible.

I support this for sure, even though I'm not using mods at the moment, at some point, I will be. So this means 256 different habitat animals in your game/game files over all. Not 256 habitat animals of any species per zoo, if i'm reading that right. I may be over that number in several zoos, not sure. Either way, definitely supportive!

As someone who was there when Zoo Admin first went online and the Zoo tycoon 2 modding scene took off. It blew my mind as a 9 year old kid. Whole new animals alongside the official ones! It was a dream come true! I pestered my poor parents relentlessly to take me to GAME on day one of every expansion pack because I was so exited about what new wizardry the modders would release alongside the host of new animals Blue Fang had made. I would never have imagined that nearly two decades later I'd still have it installed on my pc with the same old fashioned cd disk to boot. Modding made a great game timeless. It gave Zoo Tycoon 2 a Legacy beyond anything I think either the devs or the first modders ever imagined. I now mod Planet Zoo as a hobby and it never fails to delight me when I see a comment about how I've made else's Planet Zoo experience all the more joyful from my own tiny contribution. That's why I dearly hope the habitat limit is removed, so when I'm a geriatric 40 something old geezeer in another two decades I can come and look back at Planet Zoo as fondly as I do Zoo tycoon 2

I do not believe there is
Pretty sure I've seen mentions that the exhibits limit is also 256 but it's separate, and since exhibits are in less quantity and have received less attention we're really far from reaching it, but I believe it's there too.

I support this for sure, even though I'm not using mods at the moment, at some point, I will be. So this means 256 different habitat animals in your game/game files over all. Not 256 habitat animals of any species per zoo, if i'm reading that right. I may be over that number in several zoos, not sure. Either way, definitely supportive!
It's a species limit, not a habitat animals placed in the map limit, so you can have 256+ animals in your maps no problem, but no more than 256 habitat species in your game regardless of what you have in the map, after surpassing the limit, animals will start disappearing from market alphabetically and if you have one of the disappeared animals in your map it will cause a crash.

If people wanted to recreate their favorite real zoos they couldn't with this limit. It also hinders the longevity of people playing.
People played zoo tycoon until planet zoo game out. Why would frontier want to kill the possibility of their game being as popular for as long? Games keep people's interest by being limitless, not limiting what the player can do.

Pretty sure I've seen mentions that the exhibits limit is also 256 but it's separate, and since exhibits are in less quantity and have received less attention we're really far from reaching it, but I believe it's there too.

It's a species limit, not a habitat animals placed in the map limit, so you can have 256+ animals in your maps no problem, but no more than 256 habitat species in your game regardless of what you have in the map, after surpassing the limit, animals will start disappearing from market alphabetically and if you have one of the disappeared animals in your map it will cause a crash.
Thank you for that explanation! That is what I figured was the case but just wanted to be sure I understood it correctly. Sometimes I fail at technical situations lol

Even though Frontier has made it pretty clear that they do not want to officially support modded content, I still think it would be in their best interest to silently fix this issue in a patch. Its a genuine deterrent for modders and mod users as it limits how we can play the game, heck since many mods require DLC packs to function it could definitely be argued that mods DO in fact provide benefits to frontier since mods can be an extra boost to get someone to buy DLC packs.

I also think its clear that mods don't take away from DLC sales since even packs that sell the same animals that are extremely popular as mods sell very well. This isn't even mentioning the impact a decision like this will have on the game's legacy post updates. Even if these are still fairly small motives to fix this issue, I think it is more than worth fixing from both out of goodwill for players and supporters but also for small but still prevalent monetary reasons.

To be clear the issue here is that adding over a certain amount of modded animals to the game causes bugs and crashes, which was not at all the case before and thus shouldn't in theory provide much issue reverting to the previous state.

As someone who had over 500 animals in ZT2 (not counting the extinct animals), I really hope this is something Frontier can find the time and budget to look into. For now, I still haven't used all the animals the base game offers, but I'll probably end up playing this game for a very very long time, so the more animals we can have in the future the better!

Top Bottom