Potential for more: Canines

Hey everybody.
I wanted to discuss potential for other members of animal families we currently have in game.
I thought about what continents, biomes, themes we do not have for a certain animal family.
I want to hear what other_____ can be added that differ from our current_____ of continent/biomes combination that would be a great future addition
Today I want to discuss Canines.
Here’s what we have covered
North America: Timber Wolves, temperate
Arctic wolves, tundra
Africa: African wild dogs, grassland
Australia: Dingos, desert

While I do support adding foxes, I’d like to hear suggestions on other members of the canine family.
To cover the regions missing a canine I suggest the South American Maned Wolf, perhaps Indian Jackel and some species found in Asia
I am also in favor of Red Wolves that could cover southern biome of North America

Hard pass on anymore wolves, thanks. Foxes are certainly the more 'pressing' canine.

In terms of non-wolf, non-fox canines I would like to see, consider the following:

- Bush dog.
- Japanese raccoon dog.
- Black-backed jackal.

There you'd have a tropical canine, a temperate canine, and a grassland/desert canine, all fairly unique, and none a fox or a wolf.

Oi... so many canids to choose from... my top picks would be the Maned Wolf (Chrysocyon brachyurus) and the Raccoon Dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides)... but there's a lot I'd love to see, including:

Arctic Fox (Alopex lagopus)
Bat-Eared Fox (Otocyon megalotis)
Bush Dog (Speothos venaticus)
Crab-Eating Fox (Cerdocyon thous)
Fennec Fox (Vulpes zerda)
Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes)

Canids are my favorite group of animals - both domesticated and wild, ha. Would love to see: Fennec Fox, Red Fox, Bat Eared Fox, Tibetian Fox, Arctic Fox, Maned Wolf, Ethiopian Wolf, Coyote, and either a Black Backed or Golden Jackal. I'd be good with any additions though to be honest. The main ones for me though are a Jackal and the Coyote.

I think i've seen a lot of fox suggestions in multiple threads
A lot of people who suggested European animals, also mentioned the Red Fox. Arctic Fox was a "missing" animal for a lot of people and for desert suggestions 9/10 times it's the Fennec Fox that gets mentioned.

Atm, 2 out of 3 DLC had a canine in it. They should add some but not overly enthusiastic about adding some in an upcoming DLC
( wouldn't be unhappy if they added the Red fox :D )

Honestly- as someone who loves wolves... I don't think we need any more wolves. We honestly shouldn't have even gotten the Arctic Wolf, but instead a white variant for the Timber Wolf. The "Timber Wolf" is supposed to be a catch-all for the common wolf subspecies- including Arctic Wolves, whatever tf type of wolf is found in Yellowstone, etc. We don't need both the catch-all "Timber Wolf" AND extra subspecies.

I think the only wolf I'd say we should have, if any, would be Ethiopian Wolves, because they are extremely different to the other common wolf species. Maned Wolves aren't actually wolves, so those would be fine, too.

I'd say the most pressing canines to add would be foxes, though, as that seems to be what a majority of people want. I'd say Red Foxes and Fennec Foxes, potentially Grey Foxes, could be decent additions. Maybe Arctic Foxes, too, as I've also seen that requested a lot.

I also wouldn't complain if coyotes were added.

I think the only wolf I'd say we should have, if any, would be Ethiopian Wolves, because they are extremely different to the other common wolf species. Maned Wolves aren't actually wolves, so those would be fine, too.

The Ethiopian wolf isn't a wolf either. It's more closely related to jackals. In fact, the coyote is more like a wolf than the Ethiopian wolves.

I think we need at least maybe some coyotes or even red wolf or an Ethiopian Wolf

Hard pass on the red wolf. The Ethiopian wolf is a tricky one to include because there aren't any in captivity in real life. I'm not opposed to that sort of animal in concept, but I think there are other canines that ought to be higher on the list.

If I could choose one species of canid for Planet Zoo, it would definitely be the bat eared fox. There are several reasons for this:

1. Appearance: With their large ears, bushy tails, almost raccoon-like face mask and unusual hunched posture when walking, these are one of the most unique-looking of all canid species.
2. Sociality: Bat eared foxes are often regarded to be one of the most social foxes, often living in groups with one male, up to three adult females and their offspring. Personally speaking, I find the animals that can be kept in groups more appealing.
3. Mixed-species capacity: Making interesting mixed-species enclosures is something I enjoy and the bat eared fox is almost uniquely suited to this among the canids; species already in Planet Zoo that have been successfully mixed with these foxes in real zoos are aardvarks, warthogs, bongos, ostriches and African elephants.

This half-hour BBC documentary from 1996 is one of my favourites and well worth a watch if you want to see why I think they are such great animals:

Dhole is so beautiful
1605821012851.jpeg

I just want the Arctic Fox since we got snubbed with the Arctic dlc (Only thing I hate about that pack btw, if they do the Fox over wolf it’s perfect)

Dholes would be really great to have as well. Maned wolves would be probably the most unique option. Fennec foxes are highly popular irl so they would be a good choice. And lastly I feel like the group that gets no love anywhere is those poor jackals! I feel like never see anyone talking about them.

I just watched one of the last episodes of The Zoo and they moved 3 Dhole brothers into a former polar bear habitat. They are very good looking canines, as they represent an Asian canine I’m all for it. I hear ya that Jackals don’t get much love I’d really support Indian Jackal so we have a canine from India. Everyones suggestions sound great and I bet foxes will make it in one day. If it was up to me I would take all the canine suggestions you all have made, I know people aren’t thrilled about more wolves but I’d take red wolves at least after we get more heavily requested in my opinion.

I just want the Arctic Fox since we got snubbed with the Arctic dlc (Only thing I hate about that pack btw, if they do the Fox over wolf it’s perfect)

Dholes would be really great to have as well. Maned wolves would be probably the most unique option. Fennec foxes are highly popular irl so they would be a good choice. And lastly I feel like the group that gets no love anywhere is those poor jackals! I feel like never see anyone talking about them.

Black backed jackal for me would be a great addition to the game. I mentioned them many times before. They would make a great addiction to mixed African habitats.
I have seen them in Dvur Kralove in Czech Republic.
1605888203973.jpeg

Top Bottom