Powerplay 2.0 deep dive - Frontier Live 27th March

This chestnut is so old. You're wrong, and I really can't be bothered to list reasons why because they're all well known.

Fairness is: everyone having access to all the same game options. Which is true in ED and always will be.

thats fair enough everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how wrong it is. Im not saying to delete solo/pgs, But if they want access to gameplay effecting others then play in open.. pretty simple, why should they get to hide in solo/PGs and ruin everyone elses experience? its what was the original intention.

All modes should earn personal merits that improve the perk rank- thats not in question.

If a player on solo goes into an area intended for Open / PvP (such as stronghold FCs) and does the action thats unfair too, because its doing something outside of that areas concept. UM is unfair for Open if you have extra forces to deal with without either a bonus or a solo reduction of influence- after all in solo you are quite often the most powerful ship by far compared to the NPC rivals 100% (unlike Open where there is a random chance other players with the same level can be). Thats why internal improvement of a power is ideal for solo while the more confrontational aspects are not in my view. The former is like logistics and the latter is the sharp end when things get hot.

The only other way is to grade NPC response to a players actions / effort level- so that the more work you do the harder rival powers resist your work.
As previously stated the question hinges on relevance .
In 1.0 the modules are relevant, other aspects of the powers are generally irrelevant, (though players with more interest in BGS may disagree) this a solution to that aspect would be to pass modules to Tech Brokers as discussed many times before.

As previously stated the question hinges on relevance .
In 1.0 the modules are relevant, other aspects of the powers are generally irrelevant, (though players with more interest in BGS may disagree) this a solution to that aspect would be to pass modules to Tech Brokers as discussed many times before.
The modules are most likely going to be part of the ongoing loyalty awards- and as I told you, there should be a line drawn between personal advancement (i.e. ongoing tier 1-10) and power advancement. Some actions (like FC raids) are muted in solo / PG but by doing that action in solo / PG still counts towards personal advancement.

This chestnut is so old. You're wrong, and I really can't be bothered to list reasons why because they're all well known.

Fairness is: everyone having access to all the same game options. Which is true in ED and always will be.
But everyone would have access to the same options. If you want to affect other players, you go to the multiplayer mode. If you want to affect only yourself, you can go Solo. Allowing people to pick and choose which bits of their opposition they want to engage with is a barrier to making meaningful multiplayer interactions, which is one of the goals of PP 2.0. Otherwise, well, we have PP 1.0 as an example of what happens.

Will say, Powerplay 2.0 (or anything that affects another player) should be open only.
My [extremely radical] point is that "why someone not interested in having PvP should instead be interested in Powerplay?" that does apply even to PP 1.0 🤷‍♂️

I.e. don't dress like surfer, if you're not going to surf 👈 that's what we say.

Who's interested in modules and rewards/perks and plays in her/his own universe (=solo/PG) isn't a powerplayer.

If a powerplayer plays in solo/PG is a shame for her/his power and, eventually, for her/his group.

99.9% of who justify that game mode for some reasons is instead using futile excuses.

0.1% is because logged on drunk and selected the wrong game mode.

The issue is the only reason some people are in power play is to get the modules . The modules were only put in so that people had to do PP as the numbers weren't great .
So move the modules to human tech broker and then those who want to do PP can do it with their own set rules . Job done ??

The issue is the only reason some people are in power play is to get the modules . The modules were only put in so that people had to do PP as the numbers weren't great .
So move the modules to human tech broker and then those who want to do PP can do it with their own set rules . Job done ??
PP V2 has been re-positioned to essentially be BGS battle sim+. It seems all PP modules will unlock for all powers so hopping between powers is unnecessary and that since 5C / unguided actions (as well as decay) are all moot you can pledge and work for them at your own pace doing game things,

Treating players in Open/PG/Solo unequally is by definition unfair. However the question really is one of relevance, ie. Which aspects of PP 2.0 are actually relevant (affect) players in Solo/PG?
Module access being the obvious one.

If Powerplay did not affect people playing in PG/solo, that it, it was completely disconnected from the BGS, that PP NPCs didn't spawn in PG/solo, etc., then there might be less opposition. It would suck FD putting a ton of effort into something for people who don't play in Open, but i suppose it could be viewed similar (if not quite the same) to FD putting effort into exploration for people who don't do exploration.

PP V2 has been re-positioned to essentially be BGS battle sim+. It seems all PP modules will unlock for all powers so hopping between powers is unnecessary and that since 5C / unguided actions (as well as decay) are all moot you can pledge and work for them at your own pace doing game things,
It's Sunday morning so I apologise for not understanding.
Are all the PP modules unlocked ? So no need to pledge or is it you have to pledge to any faction and get access to all modules ?
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick ( most probable answer)

It's Sunday morning so I apologise for not understanding.
Are all the PP modules unlocked ? So no need to pledge or is it you have to pledge to any faction and get access to all modules ?
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick ( most probable answer)
Many people (myself included) think / guess that all 11 modules are unlocked by pledging and advancing within a power in the UI

1714295757725.png

So far nothing has been said regards moving them to a broker, and that V2 is casual friendly to remain the home of such modules. This removes the need for module shopping, and that players do not need to worry about decay- just play and all of them will be unlocked forever for you as long as you remain pledged a that level.

But everyone would have access to the same options. If you want to affect other players, you go to the multiplayer mode. If you want to affect only yourself, you can go Solo. Allowing people to pick and choose which bits of their opposition they want to engage with is a barrier to making meaningful multiplayer interactions, which is one of the goals of PP 2.0. Otherwise, well, we have PP 1.0 as an example of what happens.
So you want those in Open able to affect the Bubble of those in PG/Solo but not vice versa and can't see the glaring inequality?

That said v1.0 has little effect so could be seen as largely irrelevant, at least to those not invested in BGS.

Rubernuke mentions something about unlocking all modules, though I don't recall seeing anything from Fdev to that effect. A link would be helpful.
Even on this point I would likely only be interested in Cytoscramblers, others might only be interested in Prismatic Shields so unlocking everything doesn't achieve anything.
For the month you're pledged you naturally take some interest in what the power is (or isn't) doing. C'est la vie.

The modules are most likely going to be part of the ongoing loyalty awards

Wdym by 'loyalty award'?

If prismatic shields will be made exclusive to Aisling-pledged players, then either everyone will be a loyal servant of the blue haired Evangeline Lilly, or the battles will be anything but enjoyable, with the few remaining followers of every other power desperately trying to use cope builds like flechettes and reverb torps. :)

Rubernuke mentions something about unlocking all modules, though I don't recall seeing anything from Fdev to that effect. A link would be helpful.
Even on this point I would likely only be interested in Cytoscramblers, others might only be interested in Prismatic Shields so unlocking everything doesn't achieve anything.
For the month you're pledged you naturally take some interest in what the power is (or isn't) doing. C'est la vie.
As I said, its an educated guess.

So you want those in Open able to affect the Bubble of those in PG/Solo but not vice versa and can't see the glaring inequality?

V2 has a portion thats not BGS though, its that aspect that should be muted in solo or PG- so you earn merits for doing it but not the INF.

Wdym by 'loyalty award'?

If prismatic shields will be made exclusive to Aisling-pledged players, then either everyone will be a loyal servant of the blue haired Evangeline Lilly, or the battles will be anything but enjoyable, with the few remaining followers of every other power desperately trying to use cope builds like flechettes and reverb torps. :)
Assumptions on it aside, it solves a lot of problems if everyone unlocks everything in the same order. So tier 1 -4 might be the lower end modules, 5-8 the interesting and 9- 10 the 'best'. So everyone gets the goodies if you keep up the work.

Hmm, that would make the PP modules lose their "uniqueness" flavor, though I suppose it does solves the problem of tourist pledgers.

Hmm, that would make the PP modules lose their "uniqueness" flavor, though I suppose it does solves the problem of tourist pledgers.
Its a double edged sword though- if they went to brokers they'd be doubly hit as they would not be unique and disconnected from Powerplay. They are powerful draws, and that if V2 is 5C safe and actually fun should be kept there.

The Powerplay rankings and territory are shared between everyone. If someone wants to affect them, they aren't just playing for themselves. So...yes? Why should the singleplayer mode be given equal power (or greater given the boost in efficiency) over the multiplayer mode, in the multiplayer competition?

If you want to affect others, play with them.
If you want to affect just yourself, Solo is right there.
If you want to affect others but also avoid direct opposition from them...well, I know that's always been an option, but maybe it shouldn't be? Seems like an unreasonable stance that is only being discussed because "that's the way it's always been" (ie the early design was not very well thought through and now we're not allowed to change it for some reason).

My [extremely radical] point is that "why someone not interested in having PvP should instead be interested in Powerplay?" that does apply even to PP 1.0 🤷‍♂️

My primary motivation for participating in PowerPlay is roleplay. My secondary motivation for participating in PowerPlay is the additional layer of consideration it brings to my gameplay decisions. Both activities are fun, and I play games to have fun.

When it comes to PvP, having fun is extremely conditional for me. It mostly depends on whether others are fun to play with, though other factors do apply. There is a cohort of players who are simply not fun to play with. That cohort is currently playing in SoloPG because their preferred “audience” is also walled away in PG/Solo. That leaves a population in Open who can deal with their crap, so they can’t have fun on their terms. That leaves a population who is actually fun to play with, which in turn means I’m willing to at least consider engaging in PvP.

What I don’t understand is why anyone would want to bring these players back into Open. You’ve got to know they’re going to use every dirty trick available to them to avoid engaging with you: “clogging”, VPNs, firewall settings, hacking, traffic spoofing, and a host of other tactics. You’re going to get the exact same outcomes, only with even less PvP, and a lot more annoyances and frustration. Which is simply an environment I don’t consider fun.

Last edited:
So the same evidence as for Tech Brokers then.
Tech brokers was a Sandro era idea and was mentioned in the forums (I can't be bothered to find it again).

Politicians talk from alternative orifice, what else is new?
Well- we have ten tiers, so far no talk on moving modules out, and that V2 is more casual friendly.

Yes its a guess, but what we know suggests it happening.

Each time I wrote it, I said guess :rolleyes:

Top Bottom