Probably done with this game

Yeah I know that many of you are going to think "right, another complaint post, cya good luck" but I want to give my 2 cent as a normal player that basically is a nullity in this game.

I enjoyed this game, played so much and grinding as well and then I burnt myself, so I took a break before to return later, purchased a Phantom and falling in love again with ED. But afterwards my love started to fade again because I've found this game a little bit boring and then another break on it's way. This time many month passed without even updated it, so I've decided to return again by participating to the CG, helping to unlock a useless multi-cannon. Now FD said that the next CG is going to be in July, which means that "what I'm going to do in June?".

I know there are different game mode I should play but:

1) Exploration: What is a point for that? Jumping hundred of systems to get nowhere in a Galaxy just to scan a Water/Earth-like planet that probably is going to be scanned with few chances by another player, what will gives to me? Is that planet will be colonized? Is that planet will be mine? Will I be honored/priced for such achievement? No, just credit and if the Planet was first discovered by me, my name will be displayed on it (wow!!).

2) BGS: Why should I care about a minor faction instead of another one? For the name? I don't like their name. So why? I know that this is a MMO and interaction with other ppl is a must, but I don't want to talk in discord/skype/or any other software because if I want to be part of a Squadron having a voice interaction is necessary. Also I cannot create my own minor faction if my squadron is not composed by at least 10 ppl, so why should I care about BGS? (PowerPlay is even worst)

3) Thargoids: I know that the game is called Elite Dangerous, but is too Dangerous to fight Thargoids that spawning randomly (by FD willing) and also seems pointless to have them into the space. If aliens like them exist for real, do you think they will be limited to disrupt just Coriolis stations? Planets will be probably disintegrated or even colonized, but not into the ED bubble!

4) Conflicts Zone: Like above, I can probably afford Low or maybe Medium intensity CZ with my non-engineered ship, but if I want to do more (even like Pirate Lord hunting) I cannot, because I need to.....

5) Engineering: a huge grind joke, that's it.

6) Last but not least: Bounty, Mining, Trading - Good way to make credits that probably I will not use at all (after purchased all the ships I want)!

How many of you feel the same as above? I mean, this game has huge potentiality and nice immersion, a very good space sim, but that's about it. In general I don't like the kind of games where "I have the freedom to decide what I want", but even if a game is like that, I still have a meaning, a reason to play it. This game what reason gives to me? At the moment none. I'm just playing a holo-person without the ability to use the legs inside a ship flying into the space looking for something unspecific.

Sorry for the bunch of complaining, hopefully something new and really enjoyable will be implemented in this game soon (I trust you FD).

Take care!

Just be aware that most everyone goes through an "I've had it moment", I know I did. This was before engineering and flying a Viper in which I was being shot to pieces.

I got up to a Vulture, then things turned around, a FDS, then a FAS, eventually a Python and a Corvette.

It will take time, set some short term goals, work through them, you will be surprised what some lower class mods can do.

Yeah I know that many of you are going to think "right, another complaint post, cya good luck" but I want to give my 2 cent as a normal player that basically is a nullity in this game.

I enjoyed this game, played so much and grinding as well and then I burnt myself, so I took a break before to return later, purchased a Phantom and falling in love again with ED. But afterwards my love started to fade again because I've found this game a little bit boring and then another break on it's way. This time many month passed without even updated it, so I've decided to return again by participating to the CG, helping to unlock a useless multi-cannon. Now FD said that the next CG is going to be in July, which means that "what I'm going to do in June?".

1) Exploration: What is a point for that? Jumping hundred of systems to get nowhere in a Galaxy just to scan a Water/Earth-like planet that probably is going to be scanned with few chances by another player, what will gives to me? Is that planet will be colonized? Is that planet will be mine? Will I be honored/priced for such achievement? No, just credit and if the Planet was first discovered by me, my name will be displayed on it (wow!!).

2) BGS: Why should I care about a minor faction instead of another one? For the name? I don't like their name. So why? I know that this is a MMO and interaction with other ppl is a must, but I don't want to talk in discord/skype/or any other software because if I want to be part of a Squadron having a voice interaction is necessary. Also I cannot create my own minor faction if my squadron is not composed by at least 10 ppl, so why should I care about BGS? (PowerPlay is even worst)

3) Thargoids: I know that the game is called Elite Dangerous, but is too Dangerous to fight Thargoids that spawning randomly (by FD willing) and also seems pointless to have them into the space. If aliens like them exist for real, do you think they will be limited to disrupt just Coriolis stations? Planets will be probably disintegrated or even colonized, but not into the ED bubble!

4) Conflicts Zone: Like above, I can probably afford Low or maybe Medium intensity CZ with my non-engineered ship, but if I want to do more (even like Pirate Lord hunting) I cannot, because I need to.....

6) Last but not least: Bounty, Mining, Trading - Good way to make credits that probably I will not use at all (after purchased all the ships I want)!

How many of you feel the same as above? I mean, this game has huge potentiality and nice immersion, a very good space sim, but that's about it. In general I don't like the kind of games where "I have the freedom to decide what I want", but even if a game is like that, I still have a meaning, a reason to play it. This game what reason gives to me? At the moment none. I'm just playing a holo-person without the ability to use the legs inside a ship flying into the space looking for something unspecific.

Sorry for the bunch of complaining, hopefully something new and really enjoyable will be implemented in this game soon (I trust you FD).

Take care!

I feel yah, theres not much to do in this game at the moment. No real story or any meaningfull path except for grinding or making your own adventure and that sadly that can get tedious & boring. I think your right to leave the game for now. Take a break, go play other games and come back next year in 2020, hopefully Fdev will make Elite more compelling.

I cant do exploration. Ive been trying every few days, taking it seriouisly, its just crap.

The majority of your play time (with care and intention) is in the fss, and when you choose not to do this all you see is ticks on a spectrum and jump again. Seriously offensive stuff. Woe to me for not playing the game for credits.

Today I cooked a Pizzaflette. That's like a pizza and a tartiflette at the same time. Then we drinked rhum and mojitos, and watched Overlord and Ironsky 2, as a nazi theme exploitation movie night.

Sometimes real life can help you escape the monotony of a grindy videogame.

Take care!

There is no subscription fee, you can leave & come back any time, come & go as you please. I play as much as I do now because I know that one day I won't be able to any more, and I'll wish I'd played more when I could :)

1) Exploration takes a certain mindset to appreciate, it's like PvP in that respect, some just don't see the point. I used to enjoy it for the sense of scale and to appreciate the wonder of travelling through our own galaxy. I can still visit places but the sense of scale has gone for me. Perhaps something will motivate me to get back out there again.

2) I tend a few NPC minor factions in a relatively quiet region of the bubble, I do it alone. It's like tending a garden, there are always things to do. Caring about the state of the couple of systems I have an interest in has built up over time, I have stories and memories of events, disputes, negotiations, some with people I've never even met in the game (I play in Open on PC), purely by paying attention to the trends over time.

3) I'm not convinced fighting Thargoids is gameplay that's aimed at me, or perhaps that they are not the enemy - not my enemy at least. I help to repair stations, they create a massive disruption to my supply lines but I have no great desire to fight them. I will if I have to, so far I haven't felt I had to.

4) CZs were where I got Combat Elite, I regularly start wars to take over assets, or defend 'my own' if someone else starts a war. The actual combat is okay, but it's the BGS effect that motivates me. I think the difficulty level is as good as it's been but massacre missions are just way too time consuming. I'll usually take the lowest kill count on offer & use it's counter to motivate me to keep fighting to win the war, one mission a day.

5) Engineering is a skill compensator - I'm not that great so I use engineered stuff to make things easier, I don't grind for mats I just play the game & collect what I can when I can & use the mat traders to make up for any shortfall. I think if you want the best stuff you should be prepared to put the effort into getting it. None of it is essential unless you want to be competitive in PvP (ie do more than just evade & run).

6) Bounty hunting in a RES is early game combat and fitting an interdictor to pull one ship at a time is dull for me (it didn't used to be but I've played a long time), I do A-B trading to help repair stations, I haven't done any mining beyond what was required to unlock the engineers, although I keep meaning to have a go with the new stuff (I don't use how-to guides and am not looking for advice on how to earn even more money). I do a lot of trade missions though, either fetch or deliver and most of my mat gathering comes from killing mission spawn pirates.

The thing that ties all of this together is that BGS thing - I care about a particular part of the game map, and don't want to see it trashed. If there is nothing you care about then come & go as you please ;)

Meanwhile I'll continue to tend to my little garden.

Last edited:
Personally, everything in the game is really just an excuse to fly my virtual space ship in a variety of environments. I have fun doing that, so everything else is pure gravy.

How are you getting on with the return trip from Beagle Point? I always found it harder to stay motivated once I'd achieved my target and achieving a goal of getting to the other side of the galaxy does leave you far from home ;)

When I got bored, I started PvP.

You don’t even have to be good to have a good time. Hell, you don’t even have to be mediocre. You just gotta like, be, man.

It might wear on you after awhile, too, but I’ll be damned if I didn’t spend two out of the past three years having a blast.

What else do you do when you have a huge stack of credits, and NPCs are no longer a threat?

How are you getting on with the return trip from Beagle Point? I always found it harder to stay motivated once I'd achieved my target and achieving a goal of getting to the other side of the galaxy does leave you far from home ;)

Just completed a session, and I’ve still got 99 jumps to go before I actually reach Beagle Point. Once there, I was planning on heading low and anti-spinward for a while, then start heading towards Colonia. Once there, I’ll head back to Sag A* and retrace the route the expedition took. Trying to ensure that I completed the trip out there on time required me to skip quite a few of the sights along the way, and I mostly made a beeline to Sag A* and Beagle Point after the CG.

Just completed a session, and I’ve still got 99 jumps to go before I actually reach Beagle Point. Once there, I was planning on heading low and anti-spinward for a while, then start heading towards Colonia. Once there, I’ll head back to Sag A* and retrace the route the expedition took. Trying to ensure that I completed the trip out there on time required me to skip quite a few of the sights along the way, and I mostly made a beeline to Sag A* and Beagle Point after the CG.

A nice list of goals to achieve ;)

I like to set big goals, then break them down into manageable chunks & work towards achieving them, it keeps me motivated knowing I have a target to aim for.

Top Bottom