PS4 Update 1.10 - Codename FAIL

Basically on the PS4 Pro both modes are basically 'perfomance'. 'Quality' mode doesn't do anything.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...tly-the-same?p=6077209&viewfull=1#post6077209
Same for me, I was already starting to wonder why there seems to be no or really minor differences...

I can only hope that Sony has a separate processor that's dedicated to this task, so not to take away from the general performance of games.
That's the case - all the OS stuff and background tasks have dedicated resources -> every game has the same resources available. Thats basically the point of console development.

I’m not trying to be rude, but to which post(s) did that apply? I want to reply to Nemo LXXI, but don’t want to upset a Moderator by appearing to ignore his post. :)

Send me a private message, wouldn't want to upset the power's that be and get a nasty gram from them.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
This thread is about 1.10 patch and peoples complaints, all the other stuff should be elsewhere. :)

Hmmm....I haven't seen a change one way or another. Probably because I'm as thick as a brick.

Oh well, no matter. I'm still going to send a friend request to all of you. I think all of you guys are neat!

tenor.gif

Keep it on-topic please gents.
Sexist ;)

I am still disappointed that the quality mode is, basically, not, anymore. Not dipped in much since gt sport been taking up my time tho to be honest. I still can't believe how that game is so pretty in hdr, and even if the quality mode just had hdr implemented, it might hide some of the tarnish currently in it.

But, next week, I am hoping for the one x to have a nice 4k(ish) patch for me to dip back into elite there. If that is the case, I can see some pro users here having a sodium meltdownn, but it might be a very good sign for a future pro update (with lack of news from Lloyd and team). :)7

But, next week, I am hoping for the one x to have a nice 4k(ish) patch for me to dip back into elite there.

Are you getting the XBox One X? Strangely this is on topic, as I've been asking XBox players to compare some of my screenshots and videos of graphical glitches on the PS4 to what they are seeing. In fact, one player (maybe it was you) said that PS4 Pro now is about the same quality as XBox One, which proves 2.4 on PS4 needs to go out the door (I had to rhyme).

Are you getting the XBox One X? Strangely this is on topic, as I've been asking XBox players to compare some of my screenshots and videos of graphical glitches on the PS4 to what they are seeing. In fact, one player (maybe it was you) said that PS4 Pro now is about the same quality as XBox One, which proves 2.4 on PS4 needs to go out the door (I had to rhyme).

Yes I am, was always going to anyway, I'm format agnostic :)
But looking forward to seeing what elite will be like on it compared to pro version. Maybe they'll put some proper quality back onto pro once their onex patch is out too.

I dipped back onto elite on my original xbox CMDR last week and the xbox version is still all good, didn't notice anything odd. It wasn't me who said what you quoted, I think, but yes, it's a fair match apart from pro having better frame rate.

It was probably me :) I've been playing them both back to back and while there used to be a very noticeable improvement on pro there now isn't :/ textures are slightly crisper and planetary surfaces during approach and landing are still better on pro but not massively.

2.4.00 looked awesome on pro so somethings not right :(

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
It was probably me :) I've been playing them both back to back and while there used to be a very noticeable improvement on pro there now isn't :/ textures are slightly crisper and planetary surfaces during approach and landing are still better on pro but not massively.

2.4.00 looked awesome on pro so somethings not right :(

I think its a known issue:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...tly-the-same?p=6077209&viewfull=1#post6077209

Its annoying because I have 2 trophies left (W Ursae Majoris and SagA) but I don't want to start my trip to SagA with sub-par graphics as I want to get some nice pics. I hope it gets fixed soon. Losing the complete "Quality" mode is a big issue.

Last edited:
Cool glad it's being looked into :) I'd probably save Sag A for when the new spiffy looking planet textures arrive tbh :)

I've ground out the vette on ps4 and xbox in the last month so I'm thinking of playing some other games while this gets fixed tbh :/ fallout 4, skyrim and horizon zd should keep me occupied! ;)

Its annoying because I have 2 trophies left (W Ursae Majoris and SagA) but I don't want to start my trip to SagA with sub-par graphics as I want to get some nice pics. I hope it gets fixed soon. Losing the complete "Quality" mode is a big issue.

We've also lost "Quality" on the PS4 'vanilla'. It's not a mode like the Pro users have, just the default graphics. I'm confident that all of this is related.

Part of me is frustrated with Frontier's silence on the matter, but the optimist in me hopes this is because Frontier has learned their lesson from releasing multiple failed patches, so they are now diving deep into the code itself instead of just changing quality settings. I much rather they stare at source code than forum posts, LOL. I also suspect they are testing the crap out of any new update before releasing it, because the last thing Frontier wants is a new thread called "PS4 Update 1.11 - Codename ANOTHER FAIL".

Last edited:
We've also lost "Quality" on the PS4 'vanilla'. It's not a mode like the Pro users have, just the default graphics. I'm confident that all of this is related.

Part of me is frustrated with Frontier's silence on the matter, but the optimist in me hopes this is because Frontier has learned their lesson from releasing multiple failed patches, so they are now diving deep into the code itself instead of just changing quality settings. I much rather they stare at source code than forum posts, LOL. I also suspect they are testing the crap out of any new update before releasing it, because the last thing Frontier wants is a new thread called "PS4 Update 1.11 - Codename FAIL".

Where has the detail lost on vanilla PS4? Planets? Ships?

Where has the detail lost on vanilla PS4? Planets? Ships?

General LOD (level of detail). The transition from high-quality geometry to low quality geometry happens at much closer range than it used to, which results very jarring transitions as I approach any structure, ship, etc. I say "I" because it appears not everyone has been affected by this bug. I believe it to be the result of FDev attempting to fix the minecraft texture bug introduced in 2.4. Not only is it jarring, but it sometimes causes parts of structures to completely disappear (like the roofs on ATC buildings, entire sections of my ship, etc). It also has resulted in horrendous looking, flickering shadows at medium range.

If you go the the PS4 bug reports section of the forum, you'll find dozens of screenshots and videos that demonstrate what some of us are seeing since 2.4 dropped.

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Part of me is frustrated with Frontier's silence on the matter, but the optimist in me hopes this is because Frontier has learned their lesson from releasing multiple failed patches, so they are now diving deep into the code itself instead of just changing quality settings. I much rather they stare at source code than forum posts, LOL. I also suspect they are testing the crap out of any new update before releasing it, because the last thing Frontier wants is a new thread called "PS4 Update 1.11 - Codename ANOTHER FAIL".

I really hope so, Xbox One X is out soon as I assume that will have a "super mega quality" mode, maybe by that time they will have fixed the PS4 vanilla issues and the PS4 Pro "quality" mode.

Its all a bit quiet though.....

I really hope so, Xbox One X is out soon as I assume that will have a "super mega quality" mode, maybe by that time they will have fixed the PS4 vanilla issues and the PS4 Pro "quality" mode.

Its all a bit quiet though.....

The pessimist in me (I'm schizophrenic) sometimes wonders if Microsoft is giving Frontier "favors" to make sure ED works better on their platform than the PS4.. After all, they did have an exclusive for some time! But I'm just a madman with a box, so don't listen to me.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
The pessimist in me (I'm schizophrenic) sometimes wonders if Microsoft is giving Frontier "favors" to make sure ED works better on their platform than the PS4.. After all, they did have an exclusive for some time! But I'm just a madman with a box, so don't listen to me.

Yeh I don't think that, I think they are maybe just having issues with the PS4 as to be honest they have not developed anything on this platform before. Remember how impressed we all were on day one? I know I was. Things have just taken a bit of a dip so hopefully once they have the Xbox One X 4K mode out of the way, they can get back on the serious PS4 business. :)

Get back on your meds’ Duck, that crazy talk! ;)

Back
Top Bottom