PSA - THIS is why AX Pilots ALWAYS use gauss cannons

Plasma chargers.
I'm just bowing out backwards because apparently everyone else is comparing larges to mediums to smalls.
Not you, specifically, Amanojaku.
Orodruin replies to comments about small chargers with data comparing disparate larges to mediums...dunno. There's not much sense being talked here.
I'm out.

My bad. I figured it out and edited my post. Didn't get enough sleep.

Yes yes how horrible people make entertainment in exchange for money. What an radically offensive paradigm shift...

I realise that you're fairly new to the forum but it's generally frowned upon to post links to monetised youtube content solely to get clicks up. Really. You might have noticed that the likes of Obsidian Ant, Yamiks :rolleyes: etc don't drop a post on here every time they have a new video* - that's why. Referring to a video in a post discussing a topic, yeah sure. MAking a post which basically just says 'hey look at my video!' less so.

(*and to be fair I'm not saying katie habitually does that either)

I don't know about you by the way but I can read information much faster than I can watch someone's video - that's why I much prefer written posts to youtube videos. It's not some old fuddy-duddy approach, I just don't have time to spend 15 minutes at a time listening to someone quacking on to deliver information that I could acquire in three minutes and have in a format which is infinitely more suited to quick recapping later if needed.

Last edited:
The very first reply is this? Really?

Sick of our content creators being badgered by bridge-trolls. It's 2021. Yes, it's a damn video get over it!
No, I will never get over it. Tutorials are the worst. I hate slogging through some stupid video on a subject I mostly know anyway, but want to brush up on some specific point to make sure I understood it completely.

Circling back to the topic, I like to ask this quiestion: If you could engineer the Plasma Chargers the same way as Plasma Accelerators, which modification would you choose?

I realise that you're fairly new to the forum but it's generally frowned upon to post links to monetised youtube content solely to get clicks up. Really. You might have noticed that the likes of Obsidian Ant, Yamiks :rolleyes: etc don't drop a post on here every time they have a new video* - that's why. Referring to a video in a post discussing a topic, yeah sure. MAking a post which basically just says 'hey look at my video!' less so.

(*and to be fair I'm not saying katie habitually does that either)

I don't know about you by the way but I can read information much faster than I can watch someone's video - that's why I much prefer written posts to youtube videos. It's not some old fuddy-duddy approach, I just don't have time to spend 15 minutes at a time listening to someone quacking on to deliver information that I could acquire in three minutes and have in a format which is infinitely more suited to quick recapping later if needed.
As I have over 1k posts now I'm not sure how "new" I am. Also when you say "frowned upon" what do you mean exactly? By who? People who don't make the rules here to be sure. People who are the minority but more vocal? Perhaps...

I have found video tutorials pretty useful. The ones that I don't? I feel no need to be rude to the creator and cry about it. That's just me.

As I have over 1k posts now I'm not sure how "new" I am. Also when you say "frowned upon" what do you mean exactly? By who? People who don't make the rules here to be sure. People who are the minority but more vocal? Perhaps...

I have found video tutorials pretty useful. The ones that I don't? I feel no need to be rude to the creator and cry about it. That's just me.

'Fairly new' compared to having posted here for about five and a half years and what I mean by 'frowned upon' is having seen posts to that effect posted officially prior to the last forum revamp/reorganisation (which was way before you arrived by the way) and which makes it extremely difficult to find them using the forum's search tools.

I'm not posting to get into one of the pointless arguments you seem to enjoy so much because I have no more inclination to waste my time on them than I do on 15 minute youtube vids. Was just providing some information, which by the way is general netiquette and far from unique to this forum, classed essentially as spam.

Seriously though, don't let's try to dress this up as me trying to make it some e-peen measuring contest about how many posts you have - you joined in December 2020. There are plenty of people here who would look at my join date five years before that as making me a relative noob. Chronology is nothing to feel insecure about.

Last edited:
I feel like plasma chargers would gain some use if instead of doing armor damage or having the intent to, they could easier exert a heart, so that premium synthesis isn't needed for something like a Hydra. Would possibly yield actually having them equipped then (also remove the dang 4 AX / Guardian weapon limit too, thats just dumb).

I appreciate the video. We play a super niche game. Let's not pretend content creators are making huge $$$ off of us. Katie is literally the best AX combat pilot around, her content is more interesting than most posts.

I feel like plasma chargers would gain some use if instead of doing armor damage or having the intent to, they could easier exert a heart, so that premium synthesis isn't needed for something like a Hydra. Would possibly yield actually having them equipped then (also remove the dang 4 AX / Guardian weapon limit too, thats just dumb).
Premium synthesis is not needed for hydras. Many use premium synth to make their first couple of hydras easier, but there’s no real need and the Guardian grind gets old pretty quick.

Katie is literally the best AX combat pilot around,
I’m not going to deny Katies skill and dedication, because she is an amazing pilot and content creator. However, I’d like to point out that there are a number of others that could arguably lay claim to that title. None of them has Katie’s content creator skills though.

So Gauss Cannons should be what every other guardian weapon are balanced with. Basically everything else needs a buff and there is a clear choice of what people should unlock. If someone, say, didn't read up on it beforehand and just went off of the tech broker screen for unlocking (seemingly equal) them, they might 'choose wrong'. Sounds about right.

OP, I tried to search on your channel. Is there a tutorial for real dummies on how to fight the umbrellas? Or could you make one? You make it seem so ridiculous easy. But I'm getting my rear end handed to me. Thanks, Kate.

OP, I tried to search on your channel. Is there a tutorial for real dummies on how to fight the umbrellas? Or could you make one? You make it seem so ridiculous easy. But I'm getting my rear end handed to me. Thanks, Kate.
This is Katie's tutorial playlist:

There are many others as well. Bottom line is, if you do things enough times and try to learn, it will eventually look ridiculously easy. Here's Katie's first fight ;)

I don't think Frontier believes in balance or diverse gameplay. They believe in the opposite, things like grind, role play, and make believe. This is rather unfortunate because AX combat's popularity came about due to its challenge and diversity in ship choice. Their atypical approach in progression design (4 weapons max) should have been very suggestive of how important balance and diversity is, even if that limit wasn't necessarily the best approach. Its effect on underlying motivations should be recognized.

To my knowledge, they never had anyone in a sort of analyst position present in planning, someone who'd develop a model to help guide the stats of any additional weapons, ships, or content like engineering via an objective estimate. You might expect such a thing with procedural generation and designers with a background in astronomy, but oddly there's so much missing from an aerospace point of view. Are we even aware if they've ever performed any sort of usage statistics for anything? Any form of basic research into how players are playing their game? I guess there wouldn't be any need for such a thing if they never planned on changing anything for the better...

Top Bottom