Question: Best way to control your SRV?

My SRV, Skiddy McSkidface, is somewhat uncontrollable at times (skids, poor speed control) - what's the current recommendation for SRVs? I've seen historic posts recommending Xbox controllers, is this still true, or should I persevere with the HOTAS? And yes, I know I need to GitGud™

The simple answer is to drive slower .. The SRV isn't a race car. :)

Edit - because a HOTAS has a throttle control I'd say it's much easier to control your speed.

get a 'T-Flight HOTAS X' it's really cheap and if you treat it right will last you years :)

Last edited:
My advice is to definately get an XBOX controller for windows (if PC is what you are playing on). I have an Saitek X52 HOTAS for the main ship controls and switch to an XBOX controller when in the SRV. Makes life soooooo much easier. These controllers are pretty cheap now days. The only other advice I would give, is to get a wired XBOX controller if your room setup allows it. I have had too many issues with the wireless controller loosing signal with the receiver. I purchased a cable for my wireless controller and now have no issues..... my 2 cents...

My advice is to definately get an XBOX controller for windows (if PC is what you are playing on). I have an Saitek X52 HOTAS for the main ship controls and switch to an XBOX controller when in the SRV. Makes life soooooo much easier. These controllers are pretty cheap now days. The only other advice I would give, is to get a wired XBOX controller if your room setup allows it. I have had too many issues with the wireless controller loosing signal with the receiver. I purchased a cable for my wireless controller and now have no issues..... my 2 cents...

Thanks! I was looking at the wireles controllers as they are 'cool', but sounds like more wires is more sensible :)

My SRV, Skiddy McSkidface, is somewhat uncontrollable at times (skids, poor speed control) - what's the current recommendation for SRVs? I've seen historic posts recommending Xbox controllers, is this still true, or should I persevere with the HOTAS? And yes, I know I need to GitGud™

I use an old wireless xbox 360 controller, and it does a great job, I`ve experienced no lag issues. I also use it for the galaxy/system map navigation when playing on the TV with the pc hooked up. My recommendation for a quick setup is to copy and paste from the default xbox controller file in game and paste the control for the SRV into your hotas file, overwriting the SRV section, then edit if needed.

Last edited:
I've been using an old PS2 pad I had in a drawer since the SRV appeared and it's great. I can't imagine trying to drive it with keyboard or a stick.

A stock old XBox wireless controller can be used with a computer straight up?

short answer yes!
if you have the plugin tran/reci with it that pc one comes with. if not it will have to be wired.
not sure on this bit. the wireless charging cable can be used with the wireless gp. together they become wired on pc!

Last edited:
Ah thanks.
No it is an old XBox one made for a Xbox.
Guess I didn't know there were dedicated PC versions of it.
I will check around.
SRV control with the KB is...not cool.

Last edited:
I just use "W" like stomping a gas pedal and stick twist for steering... no problems here.

Last edited:
I just hold the W button down and go flat out ! Another finger on the R button to boost the jets to cushion my landing if I'm in a low grav situation.

And the new revised scanner seems to work well enough at high speed also. :)

I see I was partly ninja'd :D

Last edited:
Well that was easy.
Wired ("Windows" cable) Xbox controller is on the way. Also can be used wirelessly on W10.
I see I have been suffering needlessly.
Don't suppose it can do double duty: the SRV and for the god-awful exterior camera controls?

Last edited:
I found the best, most reliable way, to get where you're going in the Surface Reconnaissance Vehicle, is to spend as little time on the surface as possible.

:D

I basically fly mine everywhere. Lol

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

I currently use k+m hotas and genuine xbox 360 pad. as far as I know. the 360 pad has always worked in windows as far back as win 7. cant say about previous OS's as I was using a rumble pad back then.

Last edited:
I pretty much go as fast as possible and just bounce and roll toward my destination and hope I get there before my hull gives out.

Top Bottom