Question for frontier.....WHYYYY?!

Deleted member 110222

D
Serious answer: because this is what the community likes. Long time ago Sandro proposed a very mild change and people went nuts.

"I worked for Godshields, you have no right to take them from me!"
"You are just helping evil griefers kill me!"
"You should respect my time!!!!"

Blabla etc. A core part of the community are people with zero skills yet a deep desire to pretend to be Captain Awesome. Godshields are essential.
Really is this simple.

You rely on ships like this?

You are a low-skill player, end of discussion.

Deleted member 110222

D
Because the community moaned when FDev wanted to implement diminishing returns for booster stacking.
Don't get me wrong here. I question most of FDev's design and balancing decisions but this part in particular is not their fault.
It's the community that was too incompetent to deal with competent ranked, unengineered NPCs without 13k MJs of shields.
Even though we did it before without engineers, the outcry was so loud that FDev canceled the plans for diminishing returns.

I was there, like some others. So FDev did what you would expect from a developer (and what they are NOT doing as of now): they listened to the community.
Granted, the community was totally split on this one but retaining the status quo in such a matter is probably the better way than to implement a change that just switches the preference from one side to another.
You absolutely can fault FD here.

They have absolutely no obligation to bow to "community" demands.

They backtracked because they were fearful of the backlash from poorly-informed gamers.

Deleted member 110222

D
Y'know, given how so many players have rage-quit because 30fps is apparently "literally unplayable", and have vowed to never come back, maybe now would be the perfect time for FD to do a total reset of engineers, including those broken legacy modules. Seriously, I have told so many people in the MMO community about these, and we're a laughing stock for it. One of the worst decisions a dev can ever make is to let people keep unobtainable gear because it might hurt their feels, especially if that gear can be used in PvP or competitive PvE.

I mean, those players are never going to be back anyway, right? They said so themselves!

/s

Or perhaps not /s...

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'know, given how so many players have rage-quit because 30fps is apparently "literally unplayable", and have vowed to never come back, maybe now would be the perfect time for FD to do a total reset of engineers, including those broken AF legacy modules. Seriously, I have told so many people in the MMO community about these, and we're a laughing stock for it. One of the worst decisions a dev can ever make is to let people keep unobtainable gear because it might hurt their feels, especially if that gear can be used in PvP or competitive PvE.

I mean, those players are never going to be back anyway, right? They said so themselves!

/s

Or perhaps not /s...
All my legacy gear is way, way worse than current mods. Only a tiny group of people has stuff that is actually (slightly) better. Almost everyone is better off upgrading.

Really is this simple.

Indeed, I do love to fly a shield tanked Cutter time and time again, but all my friends know how to make that shield tank pop. Relying on shield tanking completely is a good way to find yourself in the escape pod against anyone who knows what they're doing.

Deleted member 110222

D
All my legacy gear is way, way worse than current mods. Only a tiny group of people has stuff that is actually (slightly) better. Almost everyone is better off upgrading.
And they should have it rebalanced.

It's a matter of principle dude.

Why should that one bozo who got a lucky role forever have a god-mod that nobody else can obtain? Why should I even have to be available to him in Open if he is going to use gear I can literally never get myself, no matter how much time I put in?

Anyone using such modules is scrub-tier player, and they know it. They know full-well they only have their unique module because they fear-mongered FD into letting them keep it.

Sure, let people have their exclusive paints and such, but things that can be used in active gameplay? Erm, no. They really shouldn't be having that stuff. It's just shy of cheating in the eyes of most in the world, TBH.

Yes, I know FD condones it and I know they have the final say, so yes, I know it is not cheating within the context of ED.

However, that does not mean they cannot be called out as one of the worst devs in existence for keeping their game balanced.

They just will not reduce power on anything because people scream about it.

Of course the other option is to buff everything, rendering those legacy mods underpowered.

That would also be fine solution, and I doubt this community would say no to more power, seeing as most here have zero concept of power creep.

The cutter looks great, flies fast and turns on the same circumference as a planetary body. It is useless for any form of combat. End of. All the shields in the world are useless if you can't turn to fire at the enemy. I've had Cutter, Corvettes, T10s and COndas. And the trusty Conda gets the most hours. My cutters sit idle waiting for the next mining exploit.
That sounds like a pilot skill issue more than anything else. I prefer my cutter to everything with the exception of exploration and goid fighting. Frankly it’s actually the best large ship at doing that.

Deleted member 110222

D
Indeed, I do love to fly a shield tanked Cutter time and time again, but all my friends know how to make that shield tank pop. Relying on shield tanking completely is a good way to find yourself in the escape pod against anyone who knows what they're doing.
And it would have been much better for balance still, if FD just told the moaners "no."

But hey, enjoy the unbalanced mess that is ED. 😂

Much as I love the game, FD cannot make a fair playing field to save their life. And really, really do cave in to easily to loud complainers.

Alright, that is me off the forum for another month or so.

My art is starting to get noticed and I have far more important things to do than complain about a struggling game.

That build is a one trick pony, as mentioned. Weapons convergence is awful, turns like a pig on roller skates, and can't do anything but take a beating. It's a pretty good ramming ship, tho. If you can keep it on target. Hanging out at a Hi-CZ isn't a trick unique to the build, either. I can hang out all day long in my Corvette. Or an Anaconda.

Meta rules all the builds. If it was the OP/Super/Megaship you are proposing, it seems to me we'd see a ton more just like it. Much like FDL gankers and Krait Xenos.

You don't, therefore it isn't.

What it is, is an extreme niche build that's good for proof-of-concept or starting internet arguments ( Mission Accomplished ! ).
Hmm, the bottom 3 hardpoints are actually very tight together for a large ship, the 2 larges on the top are also very well put together. The only weapons that have bad convergence are the two nacelles. People who say it turns very very bad makes me think it’s just a skill issue. Obviously it cannot turn the best of the large ships, however it’s very very workable. You want to keep downplaying the fact the cutter is absolutely broken in a good way. Reality if the cutter does actually need to be nerfed. Something like this that can have all of what I posted AND still be switched to have the largest cargo space in game makes for a stupidly broken ship

Just like the title says....WHY?!
iu

And it would have been much better for balance still, if FD just told the moaners "no."

But hey, enjoy the unbalanced mess that is ED. 😂

Much as I love the game, FD cannot make a fair playing field to save their life. And really, really do cave in to easily to loud complainers.

Alright, that is me off the forum for another month or so.

My art is starting to get noticed and I have far more important things to do than complain about a struggling game.
Oh, I know lol. Got this one friend with a 10k mj Cutter who calls Phasing and Reverberating Cascade weapons "cheating". Like... That's the counter to you my man!

Also calls SCBs cheating but apparently can't use a Feedback Cascade railgun to save his life. Shame really as I want him to get good, but hiding behind those shields in lightweight armor isn't doing him any favors.

And if you try to fight in that thing with a pack of MetaDL's you'll still die or run.

The Cutter is just about enough to both run cargo and survive a player pack looking to pop haulers. Just about everything else configured for anything other than strict PvP combat will be difficult to survive a wing + groms. Of course with credits as they are now I see a lot of Cutters in the hands of newbs. Just follow the Youtube grind guide and a nice station evacuation and presto, you're a King.
Ah, once upon a time there were gankers who made a habit of blowing up those Big3s (especially noob Vettes and Cutters) just because they could.

Too bad they are all ganking in Star Citizen nowadays.

Really is this simple.

I'm a low skill player, in terms of combat... is being so a problem, somehow?
I don't have a problem knowing quite well I suck at certain aspects, but enjoy everything else.

Sure, I have some heavily engineered shield builds that I use in PVE, I don't do or intend to do PVP ever, because I find it an unenjoyable and pointless waste of time and energy, when I could be doing something I am enjoying with my limited time, which is what I bought the game for. But when I'm forced into PVP, I run or go boom and will continue to do so.

I'm a low skill player... is being so a problem, somehow?
I don't have a problem knowing quite well I suck at certain aspects, but enjoy everything else.

Sure, I have some heavily engineered shield builds that I use in PVE, I don't do or intend to do PVP ever, because I find it an unenjoyable and pointless waste of time and energy, when I could be doing something I am enjoying, which is what I bought the game for. But when I'm forced into PVP, I run or go boom and will continue to do so.
Ah, I wish there was a low-skill player or gimbal-scrub or seeker-noob or SLF-cheater badge in Inara. I'd have them all.

Even the railverski one, although I'm really bad at that.

Besides, I wouldn't of thought any build would be a problem for a truly skilled player, especially when choosing easy mode and attacking a low skill / scrub tier player (like myself) instead of somebody on their level. 🤷‍♂️ or does skill = time invested on engineering and researching meta builds?

Y'know, given how so many players have rage-quit because 30fps is apparently "literally unplayable", and have vowed to never come back, maybe now would be the perfect time for FD to do a total reset of engineers, including those broken AF legacy modules. Seriously, I have told so many people in the MMO community about these, and we're a laughing stock for it. One of the worst decisions a dev can ever make is to let people keep unobtainable gear because it might hurt their feels, especially if that gear can be used in PvP or competitive PvE.

/s

Or perhaps not /s...

Problem (with rebalancing SBs, at least) is that players are likely to be justifiably hacked-off if they've spent time doing something on the basis that it'd grant them a specific reward and then FDev decide to move the goalposts.

I mean, I must have G5 engineered at least 250 SBs (for a fleet of 80-odd ships) and if FDev did propose nerfing them, and wanted the community's opinion beforehand, I'd be wanting the mat's returned to me, for sure.

To me, it'd be a bit like FDev deciding that FCs were bad for the game, removing them but not refunding the billions of credits each player has spent on them.

If FDev did decide to rebalance SBs, I think the best way to do it would be to simply remove them from the game, give players back ALL the mat's they used to create them (or a reasonable approximation thereof) and then re-implement them a month later.
That'd allow players to re-evaluate their ship-builds and decide whether to spend the mat's on SBs again or reconfigure their ships.

That way, players wouldn't have wasted their time collecting mat's for modules that they may not actually want any longer.
They would, at least, have the mat's and would be able to "spend" them in whatever way they now felt best.

Problem (with rebalancing SBs, at least) is that players are likely to be justifiably hacked-off if they've spent time doing something on the basis that it'd grant them a specific reward and then FDev decide to move the goalposts.

I mean, I must have G5 engineered at least 250 SBs (for a fleet of 80-odd ships) and if FDev did propose nerfing them, and wanted the community's opinion beforehand, I'd be wanting the mat's returned to me, for sure.

To me, it'd be a bit like FDev deciding that FCs were bad for the game, removing them but not refunding the billions of credits each player has spent on them.

If FDev did decide to rebalance SBs, I think the best way to do it would be to simply remove them from the game, give players back ALL the mat's they used to create them (or a reasonable approximation thereof) and then re-implement them a month later.
That'd allow players to re-evaluate their ship-builds and decide whether to spend the mat's on SBs again or reconfigure their ships.

That way, players wouldn't have wasted their time collecting mat's for modules that they may not actually want any longer.
They would, at least, have the mat's and would be able to "spend" them in whatever way they now felt best.
I have 151 G5 shield boosters and I couldn't care less if they got all nerfed. For everyone. I'd simply reshuffle them as needed or engineer some new ones.

No offense, but posts like yours are the reason why we can't have a rebalance or still have legacy modules (c5 prismo Cutter nanananananaaaaa)

Top Bottom