5. Southeast Asia Pack; A very diverse roster and fills out a few wanted animals (Sun Bear, Binturong, Clouded Leopard) but the quality of animals is lacking. People have had complaints about 3 of the animals (tapir, binturong, dhole although mainly tapir and binturong). While the binturong was fixed it’s still a bit sad that we had so many problems with the animals in that first week when the pack was released. Plus, the Malayan Tapir still hasn’t been fixed, which leads people to believe it may be the worst DLC animal we have. (7/10)

4. Arid Animal Pack; This is actually the opposite of my problems with the SEA pack. The quality of all animals in this pack are phenomenal, however it lacks diversity. I’m not gonna go too far into this one because I’ve talked a lot about this pack in other threads but mainly, all the animals in this pack are great but don’t do well together and with so many ungulates, it doesn’t make me excited to build for them. (8.5/10)

3. Wetlands Animal Pack; This was almost at 2. on my list, it’s really close. All of the packs in my top 3 have almost no problems, and if they do they are very minor. The animals in this pack are very diverse and the packs theme is a very good focus. The quality of the animals are amazing, Capybara and Nile Lechwe being my personal favourites. Only slight problem for me is the Spectacled Caiman cause we already had a caiman but it doesn’t bother me that much. (9.5/10)

2. North America Animal Pack; Same thing as the Wetlands Pack, very very minor issues. The quality of animals are very good and represent North America extremely well. All of the animals people wanted that weren’t in this pack were in future packs like the Raccoon or Red Fox so I really can’t complain about the animals. Only small thing I wish they did differently is the signs. I wish they matched with the current style of signs we have now, instead of the cartoony look they have. (9.7/10)

1. Grasslands Animal Pack; Even ranking all scenery and animal packs, this one’s still at the top for me. Features highly requested animals like the Maned Wolf, Wallaby, and Emu and also features ones that weren’t high up but were still very welcome like the Striped Hyena and Caracal. Even the ungulate I liked cause it gave an upgrade to the Black Wildebeest. Not to mention, Butterflies! Definitely my favourite WTE animals still. Sure there was a bit of improvements needed with the hyena but they fixed it, unlike others (👀tapir). A solid roster in the end imo. (10/10)

Last edited:
1 . North America

Starting off with my all time favourite pack for planet zoo, the North america pack feels to me the only animal pack that got the concept truly right. In contrast to what the south america scenery pack offered, the North america pack offered a clear representation of the continent without any major omissions. The only animal I felt that should of made the cut was the American black bear which I still feel sad we haven't got yet.

2 . Grasslands

Grasslands fills in the gaps that the Australia pack left and introduces a reason for me to actually use the walkthrough exhibit. Those are the main points to me but the inclusion of the maned wolf, wildebeest and striped hyena does kind of fill in gaps that scenery packs left. A Lot of these more recent packs do feel like filler packs where animals should of been included earlier but still glad we received them eventually. Butterflies, the Australian animals and the quality of the animals received leaves the Grasslands at number 2 for me.

3 . Wetlands

Wetlands continues to move down one place everytime i rate them , thats considering i dont actually use half the animals or ever thought about using them. The additions of the Asian otters, red crowned crane and capybara are definite highlights further improving Wetlands areas but the rest of the roster feels quite patchy in general quality of the animals chosen. Kinda feels like the aquatic pack at this stage, where its neither good or bad.

4 . South East Asia

Initially a poor performer on terms of animal choice, i have warmed up to the pack as im using south east asian animals at lot more than i used to. The main problem on why it ranks at number 4 is it heavily relies on other packs like Wetlands and tropical packs to feel right - paired with them it's easily number 2 allowing a fantastic representation of south east Asia. Also of note its home to the most controversial animal in the game so can't rate too highly either. I don't have too much of an issue regarding the animal quality themselves, I never even noticed the tapir was a reskin until I joined the forums.

5 . Arid

Ah arid, fresh off the train from controversial town. Basically Africa pack 2.0 , the arid pack offers a lot while offering nothing at the same time. Animal quality doesn't matter in the slightest when the roster representing an entire biome is instead a regional pack, sure the porcupine and dromedary were highly requested but why did frontier think everyone thinks of Africa when thinking of an arid region.

1. Grasslands

2. Conservation

3. Wetlands

4. Twilight

5. North America

6. South America

7. Africa

8. Australia

9. SEA

10. Tropical

11. Aquatic

12. Arctic

13. Arid

14. Europe

1. Grasslands Animal Pack - I feel like I have less to say about Grasslands than most other animal packs, which is weird given it’s decidedly my favourite. It’s just peak👌
2. Wetlands Animal Pack - Probably the single most diverse roster of any pack we’ve ever had, including the only one to have at least one species from every class of terrestrial vertebrates. Really great mix of highly requested animals (capybara, platypus, otter) and more obscure yet inspired picks (lechwe, the water buffalo when you ignore the wild bit, and of course the crane). I even think the caiman is a very worthwhile addition
3. Southeast Asia Animal Pack - The first of the animal packs definitely had and still has its issues, but I can’t help but look back on it fondly. South-east Asia is one of my favourite parts of the world and I devote a section to it in the majority of my zoos, and the sun bear alone makes this pack a must have for me. If only they’d take the clouded leopard off the moon and actually make a Malayan tapir so the pack could truly shine
4. Arid Animal Pack - The quality of the animals in this pack is outstanding for the most part and it includes such heavy hitters as the dromedary camel and crested porcupine. However, its focus one a single continent makes it stick out like a sore thumb amongst the biome packs, and a roster heavily saturated by ungulates (none of which offer much we hadn’t seen before) only makes the pack feel less diverse
5. North America Animal Pack - I actually think the roster for this pack is near perfect, it’s just that very few of the species in this pack are useful for me personally (this being a personal ranking and all) given the rarity of North American species in my local zoos. Very well done, and thanks for the alligator (the one animal from the pack I do use, and use a lot)

5. Arid: definitley my least favorite pack, as it didn't really brought something new other than the porcupine, so it ranks really low for me. Most of the animals are well done, besides the poorly made black rhino (which got its update, but it still doesn't seem right and I'm still missing some browsing and proper running animations). This should have been so much more...
4. SEA: this pack isn't as diverse as it should be too, as it's really heavy on carnivores, and the monkey didn't add as much as it should have. And a bird would have been absolutely great. The fact that the tapir still didn't get a proper update and the clouded leopard animations still suffer from such big bugs are underwhelming. So, I belive that's an OK pack, nothing absolutely great, but definitley worth having it.
3. Grasslands: Most of the animals look great (I still haven't really warmed up to the wallaby yet, there still seems to be something strange on it) but nothing I really considered essential (besides the emu).
2. NA: I would have never expected that North America could have been completed in such a fast way. And I still am amazed by how it was done, with a mixture of smaller and bigger species. The only thing I miss is a bird species.
1. Wetlands: This was a very close call with NA, but I absolutely love the diversity in this pack, in terms of taxonomy and regions. And my expectations were that future animal pack would be in a similar a style. The only thing I would have done differently would be probably switching out the caiman (I still think the American alligator would have done best here).

5. Southeast Asia - an interesting roster, but really suffers from the two well-known issues of the Tapir being a clear clone and the Clouded Leopard(IMO the best animal choice in the pack) being buggy.
4. Wetlands - a solid roster, but Spectacled Caiman, Nile Lechwe and Water Buffalo could have been better choices.
3. Arid - these top 3 packs are honestly quite close. I really like the animals in the Arid pack. The negative is the decision to only include African animals - a continent already very well represented.
2. Grasslands - another solid roster with few complaints.
1. North America - the gold standard for animal packs. Outstanding roster and the animals all look great.

1. North America: I still miss my black bear, but the roster was fantastic. Each animal habitat is unique, and it provides a great boost of temperate animals.
  2. Grasslands: After the major continent packs added most of the major animals, it's hard for the newer packs to compete in terms of essential animals, but this pack comes very close. It brings some nice additions to underrepresented regions. South America got the beautiful maned wolf and the detailed armadillo. Oceania got the wallaby and the emu, which are important for international Australian sections. The Middle East and South Asia also got the Caracal and Striped Hyena. The quality of the animals is fantastic, and the animals require a variety of habitats to build. The butterfly houses are awesome.
  3. Arid: It does a great job filling out North Africa, and the animal quality is unbelievable. I love the porcupines, dromedary, sand cat, addax, and Somali wild ass. It's unusual for one pack to bring so many of my favorites. I'm pretty happy with it. The only downside is that the pack contains too many ungulates when African ungulates were not in short supply. I still love this pack and the animals though. It probably isn't the best pack if your play style is to immediately build intricate habitats for each of the animals as soon as you buy the pack. The interspecies enrichment bonuses could lead to a variety of combinations for arid habitats.
  4. Wetlands: This pack had too many oddballs, but I'm really happy about the bird, the capybaras, and the otter. The platypus is really cool, too. I don't like building semi-aquatic habitats, but the capybaras and the otters really sell this pack for me.
  5. Southeast Asia: It's a pretty good pack. They've fixed most of the "bad" models, with one glaring exception. I went through a few stages of how I felt about this pack:
    • I did not want much from SEA in the first place. The animals are cool, but I don't usually see them and am less familiar with them. I thought the clouded leopard was a likely addition at some point but was fine without it, and I mainly wanted a gibbon. I was also interested in a fishing cat and the Malayan tapir.
    • I was initially disappointed because it meant waiting even longer for the North America pack I was expecting after Australia. It seemed strange to get three animals I'd never heard of (dhole, binturong, sun bear), two I barely remembered (Malayan tapir, proboscis monkey), and one I try to forget exists (The babirusa's tusks freak me out, and I'm already afraid of pigs) before the moose, mountain lion, black bear, prairie dogs, or sea lion made it in.
    • I reluctantly bought the pack near launch to support the continuation of animal packs and tried to hype myself up about the fact that we were getting a Malayan tapir.
    • Unaware of the controversy, the first thing I did with the pack was put the Malayan tapirs next to the Baird's to learn about the differences between the two. I was so annoyed by the blatant clone and the weird purple that I refused to use anything from this pack for almost a year except the leaf insect.
    • Later, I started using the animals to complete the zoologist achievement and learned that the rest of them actually are pretty great. I use the binturong frequently now and the proboscis monkey when I build zoos that can afford them.
    • The addition of the SEA architecture and gibbons brought my focus back to SEA. The pack actually is great. It has a diverse roster of interesting animals that I got to learn about. The pack is comparable to the wetlands, but I like the otter and the capybaras so much that it is in last for the animal packs.
All of the packs honestly have their merits. I think they are all worth the full price, but I would prioritize different ones.

Last edited:
Personal phobia mostly. They are dangerous in the wild, and I tend to dislike not obviously threatening things that can gang up on people. The red river hog is the only one I like.
Can agree I don’t have a problem with most pigs, but there are some exceptions.

I went to a farm once when I was really little, maybe 4 or 5, and they had a pig, if you could call it that, that was huge and had tusks. He was always snorting at people and being mean in general and they told us not to try to pet him cuz he might think our fingers are food. Something about him was so off putting. They had also named him “Olive” or something cutesy.

1. Eurasia
2. Grasslands
3. Wetlands
4. North America
5. Southeast Asia
6. Arid
7. Barnyard

Last edited:
1. North America Animal pack: sure the arctic fox was there just to fill in the obvious and rather ridiculous omission from the Arctic pack but the whole roster of the NA animal pack is just perfect. It has taxonomic variety, it includes highly requested (and needed) animals that are also very popular and iconic and it also represented the NA fauna very well. Very balanced and varied. Maybe i would've went with a bird of some kind (be it roadrunner, burrowing owl, wild turkey or roseatte spoonbill, even a pelican) but i can't honestly think what animal i would have trade it for and that speaks a lot about the great quality of the pack. Of course some other icons from NA biodiversity are still missing (such as the bald eagle and the ABB) but the ones they chose were great.

2. Wetlands Animal Pack: for me this roster could've been almost perfect if they just changed one of the ungulates (mainly the lechwe, which i never use tbh) for a waterfowl like a pelican or duck. Also the inclusion of yet another caiman (even though i love the spectacled caiman over cuvier's one) was kind of redundant. A large freshwater turtle (like Arrau's or alligator snapping or some asian sofshell) would been something different and very cool as a replacement reptile, or even, if they wanted another croc so much then the Nile crocodile would have been my prefered choice. BUT that said this pack gave us zoo icons such as the capybara and the ASCO, both of them extremly needed, and the platypus, such a famous weirdo and a staple of Australia that even if rare in captivity could not end up missing from the overall game roster. And let's not forget that this pack gifted us with the first new bird in a loooong time. For me this is a must have pack.

3. SEA animal pack: yes i know, it has the tapir, but i'm not considering (just) the model quality in rating them. I think this pack is also very varied and well balanced and offered a lot of animals that represent that region very well. The clouded leopard (despite now being very buggy) is one fo the best looking cats in the game. All the animals choices were very unique. Of course rather than the proboscis monkey the gibbon should've been included in this one (or even the siamang) but now that we got them later on i'm happy we got the nosey primate instead of them. And despite being one of the oldests packs i do think the animal design for some of their animals hold up very well (like the babirusa, clouded leopard, monkey and sun bear). Of course it has majors cons, already mentioned earlier on the paragraph. And the dhole was kind of a dull inclusion for me (no pun intended), but i'm still content that we have them. Maybe instead of it i would've chosen once again a ground dwelling or wading bird or even the AWM that we later got with the tropical pack.

4. Grasslands Animal Pack: this is pack is weird for me because despite including several animals that were in my personal wishlist (maned wolf, emu, armadillo, caracal, blue wilderbeast), i also felt a little bit underwhelmed by the roster. I think it was the chance to get the secretary bird and the blackbuck, yet we got the striped hyena which i didn't really needed nor i would've included in a GRASSLANDS pack, the blue wildebeest which should've been in the base game from the start and not taking a slot in a DLC (even though is an amazing model and is a staple of savannahs so it fits the pack's theme perfectly) and the caracal which egain i feel like it could've work better in arid type of biome pack. Also nor the caracal or hyena really impress me with their models, even though i apreciate the detailed animatios for the caracal's ears and the kittens are adorable. The maned wolf model looks fine but the texture and detail of the fur is not really their best work and they missed the chance to include their unique jumping animations. I feel similar about the emu's feathers. That said both of this animals were really needed to fill in some gaps, specially the emu. The butterflies are a fun and unique feature of this pack, and the armadillo is just fantastic, one of the best animals in the game imo.

5. Arid animal pack: well i've already expresed my opinion on this pack a lot lately lol I'll just say once again that my main dissapointment with the pack is the lack of region diversity. I really hope is not the last "desert" themed pack we get because the two we have are all focused on Africa. But i must admit than other than the sand cat the animals in this pack are fantastic and top quality and it includes the porcupine another contender for the best animal in the game.

Separating it into quality of animals vs. choice of animals….

Quality: just getting better with each pack!
  1. Arid / Grassland 9/10
  2. -
  3. North America 8/10
  4. Wetlands 7/10
  5. South East Asia 5/10
Choice:
  1. Grassland 9/10
  2. Wetlands / South East Asia 8/10
  3. -
  4. North America 7/10
  5. Arid 3/10
Combined:
  1. Grassland 9/10
  2. Wetlands / North America 7.5/10
  3. -
  4. South East Asia 6.5/10
  5. Arid 6/10

I can't choose. I think Wetlands and North America are easily the two best but I'm not sure which. I don't know how I'd rank the other three either they all have pros and cons.

I'll just say this:

Wetlands and North America are what an animal pack should strive to be. The other three, while certainly not bad packs are a step below for a few reasons. Southeast Asia has quality issues, Grasslands has good picks but nothing truly super standout bar the Emu for me, Arid was way too region focused for a biome pack and had too many ungulates.

Can agree I don’t have a problem with most pigs, but there are some exceptions.

I went to a farm once when I was really little, maybe 4 or 5, and they had a pig, if you could call it that, that was huge and had tusks. He was always snorting at people and being mean in general and they told us not to try to pet him cuz he might think our fingers are food. Something about him was so off putting. They had also named him “Olive” or something cutesy.
I had too run for my life from a feral boar while on a hike in the great dividing range. Luckily my friend smacked it with a stick and it ran off. Not endorsing animal cruelty but that thing looked like it wanted to eat us so...

Kind of hard, I do like them all, because essentially, they all have animals I like, but I would go:

1. Grasslands - this pack just brough alot of animals that I wanted, so obviously it will be my favourite. Except the Blue Wildebeest and Butterflies, all of them were on my wishlist. It had 2 South American and 2 Oceanian animals (and these were the 2 most important too, imo), something that we really needed, Africa also got some new carnivorans. All of the animals are great quality and the Armadillo is surely one of the best looking animals in game.
2. North America - this is just a fantastic roster of animals from North America and it all plays great together. Obviously a pack cannot bring everything that we want, but this came pretty close. The Arctic Fox and Prairie Dog were a great surprises.
3. South East Asia - now obviously this pack still has some unresolved issues (the tapir and the slow jumping Clouded Leopard), but I really like the animals themselves. Yes, they are perhaps lesser known, weird looking creatures, but that is why I love this pack overall.
4. Wetlands - This pack was really hyped as it was our first biome themed pack, but for me personally I only had 2 animals from this on my wishlist (Capybara and Platypus), but I warmed up to the rest. The ASCO was just needed and the Crane was a great pick, as we just needed (and still need) more birds. Very solid pack overall as it was quite diversive in animal types and continents.
5. Arid - I do like the pack, but it was the first time ever that I instantly though that I would have pick a different roster. Still, it has the Porcupine and the Somali Wild Ass was an animal that I hoped for but never expected it. I also hoped for Addax, but after getting Scimitar-Horned Oryx, I was not sure if we would get them. The Dromedary is a photorealistic animal that was very popular, the Black Rhino completes our Rhino roster (at least for me), the Sand Cat is yeah, another cat, but at least a truly small one and the Dama Gazelle is really beaitiful surprise pick. Overall I like the amazing animals, but as a package the diversity is a bit lacking.

None of the animals packs are bad and it's hard to rank them, but here's my classification from "less good" to "more good"

5) Arid DLC: it has the best animal in game (porcupine) but it suffers from lack of diversity. You can build one habitat and put in it 6 of the 7 habitat animals.

4) South East Asia DLC: I like the animal choices, but none of them are essential to me. This is a good filler pack. The slow motion clouded leopard and the constant tapir complaints hurt this DLC.

3) Grasslands DLC: there's some nice variation in the shape, size and continents of the animals. The 5 butterflies were a nice surprise.

2) Wetlands DLC: includes very popular diving animals and a good representation of biomes and continents (even a tundra bird!). Adding a European exhibit animal was an unexpected but good choice.

1) North America DLC: perfection. The best DLC including standard packs. The animal roster is iconic and diverse, from a tiny desert rodent to a huge tundra deer. Diving, climbing and burrowing animals from basically all biomes.

Top Bottom