Ranking the areas still requiring animals

I still think the Mediterranean should probably be yellow. Also can the borders of the regions be added to the map? When two are the same colour and next to each other I have no idea where one ends and the other begins.
I would rather not, until is not a common wish. After all this changes over time I would need to draw them manually and when converting map to vectors it can be tricky.

Anyway, here's the map made according to yoav_r suggestion. If needed, I will change it again thou. I get used to.
biomes 16.1.png

Even thou I don't think that was the strongest year of DLCs for PZ, looking at this map from a year ago, all 4 packs helped a lot with upgrading many regions (not you SA) to greens and blues. I'm glad to see it.

And when I lost all hope, my fav species came to the game.

Now more than ever it is apparent how dire of a state South America is in... Please Frontier give us a Latin America Animal Pack.

Also, shouldn't central Asia be blue? What else is there to add that isn't rather minor? The saiga was basically the only thing that was a huge ask. Pallas cat is popular but mor people seem to mention/associate it with the mountains. Is there any Central Asian species we are missing that prevent it going to blue at this point?

And to reiterate I still think the Mediterranean should remain yellow, since we still have no coastal Mediterranean animals which I think means the region is still incomplete until we get something like a pelican.

Also wondering why is the scrubland in southern africa green? Shouldn't be blue like the rest of sub-Saharan Africa? I can't think of a single essential species endemic that region. Maybe I'm stupid, but aren't tropical rainforests/Madagascar the only places in Africa that should be still be green?

Africa still needs a ton of animals to really reflect the reality of zoo collections.
I definitely agree, but I can't think of any essential species endemic south African scrublands. I have many on my wishlist, but how many aren't hoofstock and carnivores which people for the most part do not want. At this point, isn't the general consensus that deserts and grasslands in Africa are at a good point other than a baboon?

I definitely agree, but I can't think of any essential species endemic south African scrublands. I have many on my wishlist, but how many aren't hoofstock and carnivores which people for the most part do not want. At this point, isn't the general consensus that deserts and grasslands in Africa are at a good point other than a baboon?
IMO just because people "don't want" more ungulates and carnivores doesn't make them less essential.

For me, the animals that need to be supplemented in Africa are: Eland oryx, Congolese buffalo, any kind of baboon, black and white colobus monkey, secretary bird, shoebill stork (plus serval or Mangosta rayada at most).

IMO just because people "don't want" more ungulates and carnivores doesn't make them less essential.
Yea, that part isn't relevant. I guess my main point is why South African scrublands in particular? Every mammal/reptile addition that I think of that lives there also lives in east Africa. I mean we have the southern white rhino, meerkat, African penguin, gemsbok, springbok, and black wildebeest all of which are endemic to Southern africa. What other essential species are there that don't overlap with East Africa significantly? Bontebok? 😂

Yea, that part isn't relevant. I guess my main point is why South African scrublands in particular? Every mammal/reptile addition that I think of that lives there also lives in east Africa. I mean we have the southern white rhino, meerkat, African penguin, gemsbok, springbok, and black wildebeest all of which are endemic to Southern africa. What other essential species are there that don't overlap with East Africa significantly? Bontebok? 😂
If they exist in both regions then both regions ought to be the same colour, no?

If they exist in both regions then both regions ought to be the same colour, no?
That's my thought. Either make all of non-rainforest sub-Saharan Africa green or blue. I honestly feel like it's such an iconic region that it should be one of the few well represented regions to recieve animals every now and again.

I would honestly be on board to make it green since we don't have a baboon or gray-crowned crane. 😂

That's my thought. Either make all of non-rainforest sub-Saharan Africa green or blue. I honestly feel like it's such an iconic region that it should be one of the few well represented regions to recieve animals every now and again.

I would honestly be on board to make it green since we don't have a baboon or gray-crowned crane. 😂
I see the logic here especially since of the two, that Southern African portion feels like it has a lot of specific rep as well (gemsbok, springbok, black wildebeest, meerkat, and penguin) that could take it to blue while the rest of sub-Saharan Africa (which could use a crowned crane, guineafowl, etc.) is green. If the two are to be separated, that is.

Having said that, if SS Africa is going to green, I feel there is a case for SE Asia to go to green too on the lack of a deer and a pheasant.

While on the subject of SE Asia and borders of the different regions, I’ve long felt like the strip of north-central India and Nepal that is currently grouped with SE Asia should go with Indian Savanna instead.

Northeastern India (closer to Myanmar) has a similar fauna profile to SE Asia, with sun bears, binturoung, clouded leopard, etc. in its tropical forests. But north-central India and Nepal, despite having tropical forests as a biome, group with Indian savanna for their fauna. They are contiguous with the tropical monsoon forest and savanna mosaic of the rest of peninsular India. Stuff like the classic Indian deer (axis, barasingha, hog) and monkeys (grey langurs) live there, along with sloth bear, striped hyena, nilgai, blackbuck, etc that you would not get in SE Asia. Indian peafowl, for example, should not count for SE Asia IMO. But this is a relatively minor thing which is why I didn’t want to draw on @call me Omi or @yoav_r for it!

Last edited:
I see the logic here especially since of the two, that Southern African portion feels like it has a lot of specific rep as well (gemsbok, springbok, black wildebeest, meerkat, and penguin) that could take it to blue while the rest of sub-Saharan Africa (which could use a crowned crane, guineafowl, etc.) is green. If the two are to be separated, that is.

Having said that, if SS Africa is going to green, I feel there is a case for SE Asia to go to green too on the lack of a deer and a pheasant.

While on the subject of SE Asia and borders of the different regions, I’ve long felt like the strip of north-central India and Nepal that is currently grouped with SE Asia should go with Indian Savanna instead.

Northeastern India (closer to Myanmar) has a similar fauna profile to SE Asia, with sun bears, binturoung, clouded leopard, etc. in its tropical forests. But north-central India and Nepal, despite having tropical forests as a biome, group with Indian savanna for their fauna. Like Indian peafowl should not count for SE Asia IMO. But this is a relatively minor thing which is why I didn’t want to draw on @call me Omi or @yoav_r for it!
I honestly think East Asia needs a deer and pheasant over SE Asia.

I have to agree about the Himalayan foothills. Definitely not dense tropical rainforests like SE Asia and its status in game is considered to that of the Indian subcontinent or East Asia.

I honestly think East Asia needs a deer and pheasant over SE Asia.

I have to agree about the Himalayan foothills. Definitely not dense tropical rainforests like SE Asia and its status in game is considered to that of the Indian subcontinent or East Asia.
Maybe on E/SE Asia. Again I find that a tricky distinction because I think of it in terms of Palearctic vs Indomalayan China, with Southern China going with SE Asia?

My ideal deer would be Indian/northern muntjac to hit all three regions at once!

Also yes, that Himalayan foothill region which is also known as terai and iconic for a mosaic of monsoon forest and tall grass. It’s the stronghold for gharial and a major region for Bengal tiger and Indian rhino! Almost the prototype of “Indian savanna” as a region, since Indian rhinos do not range too far south of that belt to begin with. Basically, should go from being grouped with SE Asia to being an integral part of Indian savanna! :)

Also wondering why is the scrubland in southern africa green? Shouldn't be blue like the rest of sub-Saharan Africa? I can't think of a single essential species endemic that region. Maybe I'm stupid, but aren't tropical rainforests/Madagascar the only places in Africa that should be still be green?
I think you have a good point. Truth is this specific region is the least discussed in Africa so it kinda fell behind when maybe it shouldn't have.

I would rather not, until is not a common wish. After all this changes over time I would need to draw them manually and when converting map to vectors it can be tricky.

Anyway, here's the map made according to yoav_r suggestion. If needed, I will change it again thou. I get used to.
View attachment 376758
Even thou I don't think that was the strongest year of DLCs for PZ, looking at this map from a year ago, all 4 packs helped a lot with upgrading many regions (not you SA) to greens and blues. I'm glad to see it.

And when I lost all hope, my fav species came to the game.
Awesome!!! I'm updating the main post. Anyone has major objections to the update?

Back
Top Bottom